Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn't really a behavioral issue but Beau (3mo) eats our landscaping rocks. Not the big ones, but the little broken pieces. I try to keep him away from them when we walk by but he still manages to reach out and snatch one up. I've swept most of them away but every rainfall brings more. It's not just the landscaping rocks either, he'll eat random rocks in the yard. Any suggestions? I don't want him breaking a tooth or swallowing one.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Sorry I have no real suggestions. Jaro has eaten more than a few rather big ones and they usually come back up in the middle of the night when his tummy is empty along with some bile. But this can be a bad problem if they get in the intestine. Other than getting rid of them in your yard, you might try spraying them one of the bad tasting things. Guess it will depend on your current weather.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Our puppy "ate" rocks, too. I say "ate" because I don't know that he ever swallowed any. He did pick up a lot of them. It became an annoying game within days. He's now nearly six months and he doesn't pick them up very often any more.

You can teach him Drop It. Make sure you always have a good treat or two with you. They learn Drop It really quickly and most any treat is better than a rock. (Unlike the turkey bone Casper found tonight.) You would not believe how fast they can spit out a rock or pinecone if you are holding a bit of dog food.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You would not believe how fast they can spit out a rock or pinecone if you are holding a bit of dog food.

The drop is idea is great! I hadn't thought about doing it like that. I've tried teaching him that when he's got random things in his mouth, but doing it in a real life situation to train him is a great idea. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
my dogs all would pick up rocks at that age and they have to be taught that rocks are not toys and this is really important for their long term health... not even just in terms of blockages but also damage to teeth and gums...

with my mouth retrievers... I would say EEEHHHH EEEEHHHH loudly and startle the pup... then I would take hte rock out of their mouth if they didn't drop it already and trade for something they could play with... ie a dog toy... this does mean that you will have to follow your puppy around for a while until they learn that rocks are off limits... but it is important and they can be taught to leave them alone
good luck

·
Registered
926 Posts
It's the age of your puppy. My older one did it and outgrew it by around 4 months but until then, we had a lot of practice with Leave It. When that failed early on, I took the rock out of his mouth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts