Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! Just wanted to post and say that Beamer's neuter is finally here. He is giving me some sad faces wondering where his breakfast is.

Anyway, I am going in at 8 in hopes to distract him with people from work and then my vet (who is actually on maternity leave) is going to get there at 9 and we are going to head into surgery. My vet is wonderful for coming back in just to do this for me! I got her a gift to say thanks.

Thankfully, I get to be there with him for the whole process and be the surgery assistant for the day. Also, we are going to xray his hips just to see what they look like. Wish us a routine surgery and thanks!

Reactions: LibertyME

·
Poppy's mom
224 Posts
Sending good waves to Beamer and you! I'm sure everything will go just fine! Get ready to spoil him for the next couple of days! :)

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Sending good thoughts for Beamer! Poor baby--no breakfast....been there, did that last week with Mr. Tobynator here for a blood test. I'm sure Beamer will do fine, especially with Mom assisting!

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are back home now. Beamer did great during the whole procedure. We learned that he has an elongated soft palate, but it shouldn't cause him any problems. We had a slight issue when we were trying to tube him, but a quick switch of tubes and it worked out fine. I gave him a slight razor burn with the clippers because the skin is so sensitive in the area... almost impossible to avoid.

The actual neuter went fine. We were in and out in 20 minutes which was great. We quickly ran him over to the xray machine to get a shot of his hips (which my vet feels look great!) I took pictures of the xrays before I left so I can post them here and see what others think. We managed to get two in because we accidentally put the wrong marker on one of them (oops!)

After the xrays we ran him over to the kennel so he could wake up. I sat with him pretty much the whole time. After an hour or so he was pretty awake and started licking so now he has a cone of shame on (at least it is the comfy cone).

So, like I said we are back home and now he is asleep on the couch next to me (with the cone on). I got some pain meds because I didn't want to be stuck down at school and need some so I just got a bit anyway. I imagine he will be back on his feet in a day or two. We go back to school tomorrow so hopefully he will take the opportunity to sleep the whole way down.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He just got loads of hugs and kisses. He is now passed out on the floor.

Thanks for your kind thoughts! It is so rough going through this with one of your own... We do routine surgeries daily and I never thought twice about it. That it, until now.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Best wishes to Beamer.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm very glad to hear the surgery went well and that you were there to observe and assist. Beamer is lucky to have you! It's funny to think that absolutely nothing is routine when it's your own baby. . .

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,624 Posts
Hoping Beamer had a good day after his surgery. Hugs...

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Hugs...

...to Beamer. Maisie's lap spay and gastropexy are Tuesday. Getting nervous here even though it's routine.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Glad to hear the surgery all went well, Molly sends lots of hugs his way for a quick recovery :) It will be Molly's turn next, probably in the next couple of months. I'm pleased we waited 'till after her coming into heat the first time. It might just be coincidence but she seems to have become more settled and grown up since coming into season, she seems less jumpy all over the place like an uncontrollable puppy and more of a sensible adult dog. Maybe we're just having a good week and she'll be back to her crazy self in the next few weeks, lol.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all of your thoughts! Beamer is back to his old self! He is doing great... I keep the cone on when I can't watch him, but mostly he is trying to lick where we shaved to put his catheter in. A quick 'Ah ah' and he stops (also using the bitter apple seems to deter him).

Anyway, we are actually going back to school this morning since I got really sick yesterday.. don't know it if it is a virus or food poisoning, but I am at least feeling better today (though I still feel like I've got a cold)

Molly's Mum- I am glad to hear Molly is doing well and maturing nicely! Please keep me updated on her!

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Question on Having Hip X-rays

I could have Maisie's hips X-rayed during her spay surgery tomorrow. I was wondering why you chose to have Beamer's done during his surgery? Was there a particular reason for concern or did you just want to rule out any possibility of problems? If the films had disclosed a problem, what would you have started to do differently -- supplements, exercise?? Thanks very much.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts