Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure what the laws are in other countries/areas, but on most of the local beaches where I am dogs are allowed down at the beach (in summer) only in the mornings and evenings. Before 10am they are allowed off lead, and they are allowed on the beach but on lead after 7pm. As it was going to be 45 degrees (about 113 degrees fahrenheit) today I dog-sat for my sister and took both Jesse and Abby to the beach at about 8am for about an hour and a half

While we were down there there were heaps of other dogs, but also quite alot of other people swimming/sitting/playing etc. There were quite a few kids among them. Neither of the dogs has much interest in approaching people or annoying them thankfully so that's one thing I don't have to worry about, and both come back quite reliably. But, one thing that concerns me is that they will knock someone over as they run and chase each other ALOT. Today a lady (who I assume is scared of dogs since I have never seen someone react like this) started screaming as they ran towards her and she lost her footing in the sand and fell. The dogs weren't that close to her (they passed her with about 3 metres to spare and were never going to run into her) so I assume she just got a fright and over-reacted, but I still felt bad.

My question is - what's the etiquette in situations where your dogs are allowed off lead to run around, but there are also quite a few other people around? Should I be trying to limit the amount they run and chase each other? I am torn between thinking that they have the right to run around and enjoy themselves (since they only get a few hours in the morning when they are allowed down there) and obviously not wanting them to accidently frighten or hurt someone. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
My thought is that it's legal for your dogs to be running around off lead before 10 AM. I am assuming the everyone is aware of this law. So if someone is afraid of dogs, you would think that they would stay off the beach until after 10 AM. I'm not really versed in it because we don't really have a lot of off lead places for the dogs to be running free. But that would be my opinion.

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
I would think it would be similar to our dog parks; the dogs can run around as long as they aren't jumping up on people or knocking them down. If someone is afraid of dogs they should come at a "no dog" time. Maybe the humans were there early because it was going to be so hot later in the day.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I am there with you, Sienna gets SO excited to be off lead that she runs full tilt. The last time we were at the beach she ran up to the area where all the people were and I got so tense! Luckily it was only our towel/set up that got knocked over LOL.

I do fear she might not someone down with her exhuberance. DH thinks it's so fun to let her off lead, but doesn't think about the big picture.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
I personally err on the side of making it my responsibility to be sure my dogs aren't a nuisance to anyone, even if we are in a legal off-leash area. All it takes is one or two people putting in a good complaint - or dOG forbid - getting hurt (even if totally an accident) to end the off-leash freedom for everyone for good.

If your situation, if it were me, I'd call me dogs to me and let the woman pass if she was walking, and then throw toys, etc. the opposite direction to keep them from crossing paths again.

I think if we're going to let our dogs off leash, we need to be held to a slightly highter standard than the leashed dog owner. And I think it we all DID that, we'd find we have more off-leash areas available to us. JMO.

·
Registered
81 Posts
When the dogs are allowed on the beach if humans then come on well its tuff as long as they are not jumping up and you poo pa scoop whats there problem if humans dont like dogs DONT go until later when they aren't allowed,simple really.:wavey:

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I am thinking the opposite here.

If it were a dog park, it would be one thing, but this is a beach for the public. My thinking is that it is a privilege to have your dogs there, and the privilege can easily be revoked, so you want to have as little problems as possible.

These days there are people that are terrified of dogs, I was amazed at people afraid of even a 10 week old fluffy GR puppy. Nine meters may seem like far enough for you knowing your dogs are not going to knock down this person, but somebody that is fearful, that amount of space might as well be a foot away.

I think it is up to us as responsible dog owners to analyze each situation individually. If the beach was unusually crowded because of the heat, I would have kept them at a quieter part of the beach, or kept them on leash.

You are fortunate to have a place to bring your dogs. Most places I know are not dog friendly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am thinking the opposite here.

If it were a dog park, it would be one thing, but this is a beach for the public. My thinking is that it is a privilege to have your dogs there, and the privilege can easily be revoked, so you want to have as little problems as possible.

These days there are people that are terrified of dogs, I was amazed at people afraid of even a 10 week old fluffy GR puppy. Nine meters may seem like far enough for you knowing your dogs are not going to knock down this person, but somebody that is fearful, that amount of space might as well be a foot away.

I think it is up to us as responsible dog owners to analyze each situation individually. If the beach was unusually crowded because of the heat, I would have kept them at a quieter part of the beach, or kept them on leash.

You are fortunate to have a place to bring your dogs. Most places I know are not dog friendly.
I do agree with you but anybody in their right mind who dont like dogs would stay away for a few hours surely ? they do have the majority of the day and some people with dogs work and thats the only time they can exercise them in the morning to run off some enerjy.:) Its give and take but like i say they do have the majority of the day

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I do agree with you but anybody in their right mind who dont like dogs would stay away for a few hours surely ? they do have the majority of the day and some people with dogs work and thats the only time they can exercise them in the morning to run off some enerjy.:) Its give and take but like i say they do have the majority of the day
I think in England and Australia, dogs have more freedoms than here in the US. You are a lot more dog friendly.

Here in the US, if dogs have access to a place at certain times, the people still have priority over the dogs. The general public does not care about our dogs and their excerise, then again it is also very hard to find a place you can have your dog off leash here too. The general public here would rather not share any public place with a dog if they could. There is always somebody who is going to blow something out of proportion.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think in England and Australia, dogs have more freedoms than here in the US. You are a lot more dog friendly.

Here in the US, if dogs have access to a place at certain times, the people still have priority over the dogs. The general public does not care about our dogs and their excerise, then again it is also very hard to find a place you can have your dog off leash here too. The general public here would rather not share any public place with a dog if they could. There is always somebody who is going to blow something out of proportion.
I agree that we do have pretty good dog laws here with regards to off leash options - in my council area there are about 20 parks that you can let dogs off within certain areas (unfortunately most aren't fenced in) and dog owners have worked very hard to gain consistent access to our local beaches. Every summer there are strong opinions put forward by both sides as to why/why not dogs should have off lead access to the beach. Even in the middle of winter (when dogs have access off lead all day and NO-ONE else is ever around) there are people who argue that dogs should be kept off the beach. There are areas of the beach that dogs aren't allowed at all though so there is technically a place people can go if they are fearful.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would think it would be similar to our dog parks; the dogs can run around as long as they aren't jumping up on people or knocking them down. If someone is afraid of dogs they should come at a "no dog" time. Maybe the humans were there early because it was going to be so hot later in the day.
People were definitely out earlier than usual because of the heat - I can understand them wanting to let their kids out of the house for a few hours before it really warmed up (it's the same thought I had for the dogs - they would have driven me crazy without a run!!)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies - looks like there's a bit of a mix of opinions (similar to the conflicting arguments going on in my head!!). I think next time it's going to be that hot I will just head down an hour or so earlier. That's probably too early for most families to be out and about so will hopefully minimise the chances of frightening (or knocking over) anyone. I have never had an issue before so I think it's probably a rare occurence - because we have so many dogs around this area most people are either dog lovers or have learnt to put up with their presence!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts