Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ah the joys of working on de-cheating. Does it ever end? Is there like a point where they stop and never cheats again? I've been stepping it up and correcting on blinds, not just on the send, but also the return also. Right now it's very ugly outside with "punchy snow" and occasionally ice puddles. Lots of features that a dog wants to avoid, and honestly I can't blame them. I find it hard sometimes to stop them and send them through something I don't want to have to walk through myself. But they can't cheat either....

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
You always have to be ready for the cheat. I don't set up any water until I'm willing to have the dog stay in the water until we work it out. I doubt I'll be running any big channel, shoreline or any big water stuff in general until May.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yesterday I combined a 7 bumper lining drill with crossing a stream. The stream is running water, but only comes up 1/2 up the dogs legs. But he had to run it at angles. I ran it both sides. Riot did just fine. There is a photo below of our set up. you can see the black/white bumpers on the snow on the other side of the stream. But there's a big difference between the distance on a 7 bumper lining drill and a 200 yard blind...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Yep, distance erodes control.
So you work up to it then pull it back in
and add thoughtful suction and factors. Then you slowly push out distance again. Build it, step by step, don’t throw it against the wall and see what sticks. :D

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I have a tendency to jump ahead too quickly sometimes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts