Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
gone
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was playing with Bayne and he scratched my face on my nose close to my eye, this happened on Sunday morning. I've had a headache ever since and also feel ill (was sick during the night).

Is it possible that a scratch from his claw could develop illness symptoms? It is really sore and I'm surprised I don't have a black eye and it's hard to put my reading glasses on. Here's a pic I took .... looks worse today than it did when it first happened. It didn't bleed so it's more of a scrape than a cut.

·
Kate
21,690 Posts
That looks like a nasty cut... :(

If you are sick, I would talk to your doctor and see if you can get in to see him.

I've been swiped and clawed in the face before (I even got a claw in the eye), but the pain usually resolves within a few hours.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately, my doc is out for holidays until next week, and the emergency will make me wait for hours since I wouldn't be a priority.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, my nose isn't broken since I can touch all around the cut area, it's just the headache is centered just above the cut (between the eyes). I just wonder now if the shock of the pain lowered my resistance and a bug traveling around grabbed the chance to make me sick now rather than next week when I have to get back to work.

·
Kate
21,690 Posts
Okay... are there no other doctors you can visit? Filling in for your vacationing doctor? o_O!

And if it means waiting a few hours today vs waiting a few days, I would say sooner is a heckova lot better. Headaches and nausea (if that's what you meant) are serious.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't think he hit my nose hard enough for a concussion, maybe I'll just give emerg a call and see. Or the after hours clinic, will have to wait till hubby gets home though and that may not be until after 6 tonight now.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I was playing with Bayne and he scratched my face on my nose close to my eye, this happened on Sunday morning. I've had a headache ever since and also feel ill (was sick during the night).

Is it possible that a scratch from his claw could develop illness symptoms? It is really sore and I'm surprised I don't have a black eye and it's hard to put my reading glasses on. Here's a pic I took .... looks worse today than it did when it first happened. It didn't bleed so it's more of a scrape than a cut.

I'm thinking no, and the illness symptoms are just a coincidence. There's a lot of stuff going around this time of year. Put a little Neosporin on it. If the area becomes infected, see a doctor.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the comments, I'm so lucky it wasn't over just a tad and got my eye though, it just looks nasty right now. I'll be ok and yes, I think the feeling I had was just a coincidence, settling down from all the social stuff we're not used to and tiredness caught up with me all at the same time.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I hope that you are feeling better! I'm not a doctor (just a biologist), but I agree with Willow52. Your pic does not show any swelling or discoloration either of which would indicate an infection. It is quite believable that you became ill from totally unrelated causes.

Dogs do not carry diseases like "Cat Scratch Fever"; but their feet tread in all sorts of interesting places including areas where they go potty.

If you like to roughhouse with Bayne please consider using a Dremel on his nails frequently. It will keep them short and smoother.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Glad you're feeling better. Hopefully your symptoms were all just a coincidence.

My Bridge boy Sam caught me in the face when he was 6 months old. We were playing and he reached for me, catching me across one side of my face. I had his nail tracks down the side of my face for about a week. They didn't break the skin, but left welts that pooled blood under the skin. I could have been in a horror film. :) No scars, thankgoodness!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Deb

Deb

Hope you are feeling better. What an unfortunate accident.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts