Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today didnt go as well as yesterday. First off it is cold the wind chill is -25 right now. I really didnt feel like going for a walk but I really want to do this upland test and BaWaaJige has to be 100% when off leash. I went up the road and we ( my son and I) were going to walk down to the river and back about 1/4mile one way ( maybe a little more). Well BaWaaJige didnt want to listen :doh: he wanted to check out the deer, squirrel and rabbit scents. I had to put him on leash and we walked he started to pay better attention to me so I draped his leash over his back. He walked about 1/2 ways like this until I had to stop and cough out a lung. he took about 3 steps before he realized I had stopped then he knew I didnt have the leash anymore......:uhoh:. So back with me holding the leash.

Tomorrow is another day. Like I told my son I guess I cant expect him to be perfect in only one day...can I.

·
Kate
21,677 Posts
Well... for obedience, I honestly did not take Jacks leash off while training in public/high distraction places until he had a rock solid distraction proof focus while we were WORKING.

I think while you are working in field where your dog is anticipating running and retrieving, it might be a lot more difficult achieving that focus.

If you are not using some kind of correction method like an electric collar, then you need to transition to a very light line that will give you the ability to correct your dog when needed but he never knows if he's on leash. <- And personally, I'm not sure if fishline is strong enough to hold back a golden who is taking after something like a rabbit.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering about fishing line. Lucky for me he has great re-call even if there is a rascally rabbit about.

Tomorrow we will give it another shot I just hope it isnt as windy....or if it is I remeber my scarf. :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Brr. I'm sure BaWaaJige will get better with practice! Good luck and keep us updated!

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,586 Posts
Today didnt go as well as yesterday. First off it is cold the wind chill is -25 right now. I really didnt feel like going for a walk but I really want to do this upland test and BaWaaJige has to be 100% when off leash. I went up the road and we ( my son and I) were going to walk down to the river and back about 1/4mile one way ( maybe a little more). Well BaWaaJige didnt want to listen :doh: he wanted to check out the deer, squirrel and rabbit scents. I had to put him on leash and we walked he started to pay better attention to me so I draped his leash over his back. He walked about 1/2 ways like this until I had to stop and cough out a lung. he took about 3 steps before he realized I had stopped then he knew I didnt have the leash anymore......:uhoh:. So back with me holding the leash.

Tomorrow is another day. Like I told my son I guess I cant expect him to be perfect in only one day...can I.

I'm going to be the grumpy old wet blanket, but slow down and put the boy back on the check cord. You are playing with fire giving a pup off leash, no e-collar or check cord time when his OB isn't solid yet. You are teaching him that when the lead comes off "I can do whatever I want and get away with it". That is not something you want to teach a bright nine month old pup who's just starting to feel a bit more independent.

You want to be reinforcing the concept at this point that Mom is the boss, must always be obeyed and that is not negotiable.

The secret to good training is not giving them the opportunity to learn bad habits. Don't set a puppy up to fail. Set them up for success. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts