Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooooo ..... any suggestions on how to get a 17 week old to "enjoy" bath time?

I have tried the lick pad, peanut butter smeared on the side of the tub, slow slow introduction of water with high value treats ..... The only thing I haven't tried is taking a bath and having her join me.

Any other ideas????

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,463 Posts
I don't "bathe" my puppies when I first get them. Their first few weeks we just play in the bathtub and with the hose if outside and it's warm enough. They get to jump in and out and have a few toys in the tub to go get.

This just makes anything with water and the tub/hose nothing but fun. Then I start adding in shampoo. After a few weeks of this when they see the shampoo bottle they run upstairs looking for the tub.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL .... thanks .... alas it's not warm enough for outside hose play (figures) .... but she is really beginning to stink <G> ..... I have used the puppy wipes but .............

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
A bath with water already drawn up should be a more gentle introduction to water than using a shower head attachment to rinse her down. When Tomo was smaller, I filled warm water in a large plastic bucket, add a squeeze of soap, then lowered him into the water. I rubbed his fur, let him soak a little, then rinsed him off - he was more nervous about the shower head, the bucket of water seemed fine.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,463 Posts
Yeah with the hose, that's if you get the puppy in the warmer months, but I don't use the nozzle, I attach it to the casual, low pressure sprinkler and let them have a ball with it. It gets them used to the spray at very low force at their own pace.

·
Puddles
3,301 Posts
Warm water? My pup came with a ton of fleas so baths happened often and began the day we came home. She adjusted pretty quickly, even to the blow dryer. She is now 3 and still doesn't like having her feet trimmed but cooperates.

But then I've been washing pups (and babies) for decades and have a very matter of fact point of view on this. Basically it's going to happen, like it or not but do try to make it go quickly. Once we are done they get a few kibbles before we move on to the dryer.
Make sure you have some ear wash and hope someone showed you how to use it so it gets all the way down the ear canal. In the tub is a great time to wash out the ears.
I do keep some kibble next to the grooming table and after each nail clip (or grind) I stop a second to reward and give kisses. The more you practice the easier it gets.

I do have to say that when you get a pup from a really great breeder this is a piece of cake. The breeder has already exposed the pup to baths, having nails done and ear washes so by the time they come to you... well my last pup (from a great breeder) just layed in the tub and let me scrub, does the same with the blow dryer & nails. So thanks to all those breeders that prepare their pups for the new homes!

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,814 Posts
Like Puddles everywhere said - sometimes it just is not a choice. Definitely just take things slowly, don't have water gushing everywhere and at full strength, plus warm water. When our pups are small, I make sure I have some treats handy on the counter to feed to them as we get the bath. Sometimes I would put a collar on them, just so I had something to hold onto when they are getting a bath and helps to keep them in the tub. None of ours have ever jumped for joy at getting a bath, but will put up with it. Even the blow dryer, which I start at a very early age. Just make it as quick as you can. Nothing like a good smelling, clean puppy.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I start from the time they come home with weekly baths. I use the hose outside during nice weather, and the shower head inside when it's cold out. I also use a pet blow dryer on them. The blow dryer becomes a favorite thing for them pretty quickly. I'm not a star groomer. I only wish I could learn to trim them like the show dogs, but mine are really more field and working dogs so it's okay. I also start handling their feet right away. I trim nails and the hair on the foot pads. I do give treats during nail trimming and try to be as fast as possible.

I think the calmer you are the easier they are to handle. In our house it's just something they learn to do and it doesn't take long for them to get use to the routine.

I also start brushing puppies the day they come home. I am very gentle, but go all over them. I brush our guys at least once a day and they literally line up for it. It's like a who can get there first game. With having two in the house I am constantly brushing and vacuuming.

Just keep at it and make it as positive and enjoyable as possible. It will get better.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,107 Posts
I'll start by saying that all 8 of my dogs LOVE baths. They also love being blow-dried and groomed.

We begin every brand new puppy with supervised water "play" that is actually a sneaky bath. And for puppies that we breed, we begin bathing them at 6 weeks old to get them used to it. We use a luke warm water tub. Any spray is gentle, and we let them "bite" the water as a play thing. We give high value treats to puppies who seem uncomfortable. We "pet" them throughout the bath, stroking and scratching them. all the while cooing at them in a fun and loving tone. We don't yell at them or punish them for misbehaving in the bath, we make it as fun an experience as possible.

Every, single one of our dogs that we have ever had have responded to this puppy protocol by LOVING the bath. So we must be doing something right.

·
Kate
20,582 Posts
Dogs don't have to enjoy baths. Especially if you keep it quick.

No food in the bathtub or anything.

Just the pup in, use hand nozzle to get her wet, soap, rinse, and out!

Need only be about 5 minutes. No fuss.

·
Registered
217 Posts
First day home my puppy had to have a bath. He had rolled in something outside and the dry shampoo just made it smell like lavender stink. He doesn’t mind baths now, but it does help to have 2 people as he gets to a point he wants to get out and shake off. I need to get one of those shower attachments instead of using a plastic cup. I will say he doesn’t like the blow dryer and so we’ve just been towel drying. I just bought the nail grinder...will be interesting to see how that goes. The treats when trimming his nails has helped.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts