Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I got a 5 month puppy, I havent had a puppy in 12 years. So I forget a lot of this. I know its the months of age plus 1 hr, but realistically what do you think. I will be feeding him twice a day after this week, so his poops will probably be afternoon and night. We let him walk through the kitchen and family room and 2 hallways under supervision. We walk him 1x a day cuz its really cold now, and play fetch so we get some sprints from him.

Anyways, how many times should I really be taking him out to pee? If he eats 8:30 AM, then Eats at 6:00PM. What should the schedule look like (no need to base it on mine, I got all the free time in the world right now)

The reason I ask, we have him ring a bell to be taken out at first I had his schedule down, but now I know he can hold it, and he hits the bell when he also wants to play outside, so I need to ignore those. So since I am confused about his schedule, I have been taken him out when he barely had to pee, its a pain.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
MacKenzie, we think is 8 months, and she too has learned to ring the bell. Last week I must have taken her out about 3 times in about 45 minutes, and was thinking she just wanted to go chase leaves.

She starts ringing the bell, and I tell my husband to ignore her, she just went. Well, we ended up with a puddle on the carpet, first accident in a while. (Boy was my husband mad at me!)

I mentioned it in dog class, and the trainer said sometimes in the cold weather (and it was single digits), when they are going from warm to cold to back to warm, it makes them have to go.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
In addition, we always take he out, first thing in the morning, last thing at night, and about 15 minutes after each meal. All the other times, she tells us when, and when she needs to go REALLY bad, she rings that bell like crazy.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
He will probably have to poop in the morning sometime after breakfast, so I would let hm out fairly soon after breakfast and again an hour later. I think if you're home and available, I would let him out/walk him every couple of hours to insure consistent potty training and no accidents. I walk mine twice a day even when it's below zero, but then, I think it's important for them to get out and read the pee mail:)

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Since you dont know his schedule right now. I would start him out like a little puppy. Take him out after eating, drinking, playing and sleeping. Some pups poop more than twice a day, it depends on the food and their system. Good luck.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank is 5 months. We have a fenced yard so I'm not sure if he 'goes' every time he's out there. When he asks to go out, we let him out. But he has no problem holding it 6-7 hours if we're out or 8 hours at night.

When we're out he's gated in the laundry room, at night he's crated.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I know my little 2.5monther can go for about 2 hours during the day, more if he is sleeping. he pops with in about an hour of eating normaly. at night he goes from 10pm till 5:30 am with out going tot he batheroom

my last dog who was about 1 would pop on his morning and evening walks and would go about 4 hours during the day for pees, probably longer if he had to as at night he would go from 10pm till 8 am

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts