Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know what everybody else does in the winter time with their Goldens. Also, do you bathe your dogs inside or outside? (I wash mine outside) Is it difficult to wash them in a bath tub? My male dog has arthritis, and bathing him in cold water has been getting more irritating for him unless it is really hot outside. I kind of thought that getting him in a bath tub might be difficult for him to do, he's a really large dog. Both my goldens love to roll around in mud and anything that makes them dirty and stinky. (I let them because they seem to have so much fun) I'm going to take them to Petco to get a nice grooming, but I was just curious what everybody elses opinions were.
Oh, and anybody have any favorite shampoos they use? How do you get that really shiny and silky coat you see on dog shows? I'm guessing that means hours of grooming and alot of products?

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I bathe Molly in the bathtub with a pet shower head. Since she is only 51 pounds, I can easily lift her into the tub. My favorite combination of shampoo and conditioner that I have tried is Isle of Dogs #10 (shampoo) and #51 (conditioner). It makes her coat so soft and smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Wyatt's Mom
1 Posts
I wash Wyatt with Ivory dish soap and then conditioner! The dish soap is safe on his skin and it helps with his dry spots. It also is one of the only soaps I have used that doesn't leave him with an overpowering wet dog smell after!

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I have been bathing Rose in the bathtub from day one. She absolutely loves it - especially the shower. In the winter time I bathe her right after she goes outside to make sure she doesn't have to go for another 3 to 4 hours and give her enough time to dry.
She is now 56 lbs at 6 months. However I only bathe her once a month unless she goes to the farm and decides to play with the horses and alpacas and come home stinking! :doh:

Attachments

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
I did the same as Claudia. From day one Wyatt has been bathed in our tub. He is 90 lbs and still has no problem fitting in our tub:)

·
Supreme Member
4,621 Posts
I wanted to know what everybody else does in the winter time with their Goldens. Also, do you bathe your dogs inside or outside? (I wash mine outside) Is it difficult to wash them in a bath tub? My male dog has arthritis, and bathing him in cold water has been getting more irritating for him unless it is really hot outside. I kind of thought that getting him in a bath tub might be difficult for him to do, he's a really large dog. Both my goldens love to roll around in mud and anything that makes them dirty and stinky. (I let them because they seem to have so much fun) I'm going to take them to Petco to get a nice grooming, but I was just curious what everybody elses opinions were.
Oh, and anybody have any favorite shampoos they use? How do you get that really shiny and silky coat you see on dog shows? I'm guessing that means hours of grooming and alot of products?
I don' want my Goldens to scratch the enamel in the bathtub.
I have a hose in the walk in shower and I take care of them there.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I use a pet sprayer in the tub. Cookie is a mud loving dog, so unless the ground is frozen, she ends up in the tub at least once each weekend.

At Petco, I also bought a little plastic strainer to go over the drain. It keeps most of the fur and leaves, etc.. from clogging up the drain.

·
AKA: Joyce
7,442 Posts
Bathtub. I know from working outside the water from the hose is way too cold on me so I would never bathe my dog in it.

·
Chesters Mama Erika
1,996 Posts
ive been giving chester a bath in the tub since day one. he gets a bath every few weeks sometimes 2 or 3 depends how much he smells or if he even smells at all. i brush everyday and take out all the shedding hair. he loves the water at first but once he's in there for a long time he just stands stiff as a board and wont even move lol.

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
My tub is way too big and high to get Max into, so he goes into the shower with me. Hand held shower head works very well. I'm gonna try the Ivory soap thing, cuz the wet dog smell is not wonderful!

He gets a bath about once a month, he takes bloody forever to dry, so I try to do it when he's been out and won't need to go back for a while.

·
Poppy's mom
224 Posts
Poppy visits the tub on a daily basis unless we stay in 100% white snow... which is not very often. Most of the time she just gets a rinse but once in a while she gets the whole shampoo thing.

Our tub is on legs and is on a small platform which is a few inches higher than the floor, so the rim is quite high. Poppy puts her front paws on the rim and I give her a lift up. It works very well. I always give her a treat afterwards so the mere mention of "bath" makes her happy!

I find that wrapping her in blankets afterwards speeds up the drying process considerably. Like wrapping a woman's hair in a towel after a shampoo... if you're a woman with long hair, you know what I mean!

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
I bring Rain into work once a month and give her a bath. Much easier then at home. Besides it being a vet hospital we also do baths so we have bath cages and dryers, so she can dry while I'm working :p I forgot the brand of shampoo we use, but I use the scent Mango and peach

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the quick responses! I never realized how many bathe their dogs in their tub/shower. If the family's on board, I would like to try it! Washing them outside is really annoying. Not only are there so many distracting things, but they always love to roll around in the grass right after I wash them. :mad: I'll definitely look for one of those strainers at Petco. Any ways to help dry your Goldens fur faster? I usually just towel dry and walk them, what do you guys do? I never thought about wrapping them in a towel, but that's a good idea! The reason I'm asking is because I know this will come up if I ask the family. lol.

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
I wrap Max in towels and rub rub rub. I use the blow dryer for as long as he'll tolerate it, then rub rub some more, and then let him rest in the bedroom with the ceiling fan on. Then I brush him out, and use the blow dryer, and the rest is just air dry

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We just gave Vinnie a bath tonight. He voluntarily gets in the tub on his own. I'm still using up the puppy shampoo I got for him. He lets me blow dry too.

View attachment 122834 View attachment 122835

Ain't he purdy! :)

View attachment 122836 View attachment 122837

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Wow! Do you trim his fur? He's beautiful! I try my best with mine. My dogs front chest fur is so poofy and fluffy, how did you get it so thin looking?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts