Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Missing Angel Boomer
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last time I bathed Bailey was right after he got his stitches out. He was still small enough to fit in the tub in the laundry room. Now....it is the bathtub, groomer or Paw Spa. I don't really mind the bathtub, but then I have to plan to clean the bathroom as well as the dog. Has anyone used a Paw Spa (place where you go and bathe your own dog)?

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have heard of them, but haven't been to one. I think they are a great idea. Add that service to a Doggy Day Care and you've got a decent business, I would think. If we had one near us, I would use it. After breaking my back leaning over a tub, getting the bathroom soaking wet, etc. etc. the Paw Spa is very appealing.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Yes! We took Augie to one a few weeks ago and thought it was great! They give you an apron, choice of shampoos, conditioner, nail clippers, ear cleaner... just about everything you can think of. Oh and a great big hair dryer! Everything is set on the correct temperature, so you don't have to worry about things getting too hot.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Just remember when washing your pet, you start from the back legs and work your way towards the front! :p That way the water won't scare them as much (some dogs actually hate water...) And when rinsing, you go from head to tail and down, seeing as it wouldn't make sense to have to keep re-rinsing the soap off if you do it the opposite way.

Tips for drying: Most big dryers have a nozzle on the end that makes the air come out at a point at the end, in most cases dogs are afraid of it and wont let you near their face, if you take that end piece off, it makes a lighter pressure and sound of air and works really well for drying their heads.

Also with long hair dogs, make sure you dry close to the body, if you're standing far away, you're blowing the hair too much and it will knot up thus making it more work for you when you brush your dog afterwards...

Just a few tips :) I have my grooming diploma/certificate ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
We have a shop called The Bark-n-Bubble. . .can't wait to try it. We have the cold well water and no easy way to hook up to warm. I'm looking forward to trying this self service dog wash.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Well, I always taught not to do it so much if you don't have to. Most appointments we booked I think were every 3-4 weeks.

I mean if your dog went out into a lake or mud or something, yeah go for it lol.

But dogs have an oil on their skin that with too much bathing can get washed away and causes your dogs skin to dry out.

Daily proper brushing should take care of your grooming needs until its time for another bath :)

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
So once/month would be ok for a golden? Augie's fur was so puffy and wavy after his bath--it looked like he had gained about 50 pounds, lol.

·
Missing Angel Boomer
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Augie looks so cute in those pictures! I have been wanting to try the Paw Spa (one opened near us) -- I think it's a go. Also, I am glad that my thinking that it has been 4 weeks and time for another bath is good.
Thanks GoldenLover84 for your expertise!

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Yeah once a month is good :) Also taking the nozzle off and holding the dryer farther away will blow the coat straight :) Done that with poodles many times.

If you look at goldens in the show ring they're usually pretty puffy lol.

·
Banned
16,884 Posts
I know there are many on our forum that only bath their dog once every two months. I think it depends on what they get into....but for the most part, Samson doesn't get smell, except when he comes in from the rain....and in most cases, the smell is gone once he dries out.

·
Banned
2,085 Posts
I don't bathe Julie--only because there is no need. She is in water so much--it is almost insane.

Last week I tried to take one of those soaking bubble baths ALONE--not! She drove my son so nutty with her barking at the bathroom door he let her in---ewww!

So here I am all relaxed--then Wham! I put her out--she jumped back in--big game to her. My son better remember turn about is fair play!

I know lots of folks feel different--but I really don't see the need to bath them unless for a reason. Goldens have 2 coats for a reason--a quick hose off will help lots.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Augie is adorable and it's good he's learning early that bathtime is, well, good or at least nice. Bentley loves the water but hated bathtime at first, nothing that a few treats sprinkled strategically from the floor up the stairs and into the tub couldn't make better. Around here, PetFood Express offers baths for $12 in deep tubs with several options for shampoo, clear rinse and dryer (all in all, 25 minutes). We make it a once-a-month excursion: first to the ocean where he can run for miles and get dirty, then to bath and then to our favorite caffe.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
I went to Yahoo and searched under "self service dog wash," along with my city and state, and voila! You could also look under "dog grooming" or something similar in the phone book.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts