Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you use a topical flea preventative (or flea and heartworm), do you give bathes (using a shampoo) less frequently because you don't want to risk reducing the efficacy of the topical?
I know the label on the topicals just says don't bathe the dog for 2 days after application, but I also read that some "shampoo" has a cleaning agent in it that washes off the flea preventative and only certain types don't remove the topical.
I am thinking that the flea/heartworm pills are a better way to go so I can give Brooks a bath more often without worry.
What do you think?

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
If you don't have a problem with ticks, go for it. I give interceptor and comfortis during the winter months. Starting March, I usually switch to Frontline Plus, because we have a huge tick problem from spring till fall.
I don't bathe my dogs that often, because it dries out their skin so much. In the winter I don't bathe them at all unless they are really dirty and stinky. I brush them regularly, so that helps.
I also wondered at times when I bathed my dogs and they still had Frontline on from the previous dosing, whether I was washing some of it away. That is why now, I plan my doggy bathtimes right before the Frontline is due again.

·
and Luvtazz too
509 Posts
I do not bathe Buzz when using front line or vectra. He does swim, frequently gets dirty. I hose him off with warm water, use a mild shampoo on his legs if really dirty.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I could be wrong but I thought the spot-on flea/tick treatments were absorbed into the body and so it was OK to bathe after a few days. We usually spread it out to once a month, usually a day or before we apply FP. We also use Allerderm Spot On for skin and itching and always wait to apply that on the 10th of the month.

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
I could be wrong but I thought the spot-on flea/tick treatments were absorbed into the body and so it was OK to bathe after a few days.
:confused: i would also like to know more about this. my vet suggested a spot-on treatment for fleas he didnt tell me if it would get washed off or not. i usually bath Yuki first then apply the spot-on treatment. normally give him baths once a month.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:confused: i would also like to know more about this. my vet suggested a spot-on treatment for fleas he didnt tell me if it would get washed off or not. i usually bath Yuki first then apply the spot-on treatment. normally give him baths once a month.
Definitely you should wait about 2 days after bathing to apply the topical. Here's why this is supposed to be true (someone correct me if I am wrong) the topical is spread over the dog's body by means of his skin's oil. When you bathe him, you remove that skin oil. So, you are supposed to wait a couple days for it to build back up again.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could be wrong but I thought the spot-on flea/tick treatments were absorbed into the body and so it was OK to bathe after a few days. We usually spread it out to once a month, usually a day or before we apply FP. We also use Allerderm Spot On for skin and itching and always wait to apply that on the 10th of the month.
I am confused about that issue: is is absorbed into the body itself? or absorbed into the top layer of the skin?
I too usually just bathe once a month, 2 days before I want to apply the topical. But sometimes he rolls in something and I need to give him a complete bath, or maybe he just isn't quite as nice smelling as I would like before company is coming and I would like to give him a bath and not have to worry about the time of the month.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts