Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are unsure what to do. Scout desperately needs a bath but it is in the 20's around here. We feel like it is too cold to give her a bath since she takes so long to dry and she will definately have to go out while she is still somewhat wet. Any suggestions or experiences with this?

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
I give Bailey a bath every week. I blow dry her until she is mostly dry. I usually take her potty before her bath and she normally doesn't need to go for a few hours afterwards.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I don't bathe my boys unless they get into something but I would just bathe and dry the best you could. If they get cold they will ask to come inside. My guys go swimming in January in the ocean here in Maine and come out and roll in the snow. If I see them shiver I get them in the truck to warm them up.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Chester and Murphy both get blown dry after their baths. Have you tried the dryer on Scout? I use the regular people dryer and in the beginning used lots of small treats while drying. If you can't dry him I don't think a very quick outside potty break would freeze him if he was almost dry.

·
16,000 Posts
Take her out to eliminate prior to the bath. If you don't have a blow dryer to dry her with, tumble a few bath towels in the dryer while bathing her. Towel dry her with the warm towels as best you can. If she really needs to go out after the bath, take her out on a leash, a bring her right in after she is done, more warm towels. A few short minutes outside when damp will not hurt her. I venture to guess she's every bit as damp when playing in the snow, and outside longer! ;)

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Definitely towel dry her as much as you can (maybe 2 or 3 towels worth lol) and then blow dry her too! I use a human blow dryer on my two if I need them to dry faster and its not warm enough that they'll air dry quickly. It helps to really get as much water off with the towels first.. and I always put my hand between the blow dryer and their skin to make sure it's not getting too hot for them.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We still give baths in the winter, but not quite as much as we do in the spring, summer, and early part of the fall. During the warmer months, we bathe our dogs once every 1-2 weeks, but in the winter we only bathe once or twice a month at the most. Our dogs usually get their baths at night after they have gone out for their last pee/poop of the day. After the bath, I towel dry really well and go through about 3 towels. I then blow dry for about 20 minutes. Tucker is usually almost completely dry after that. We also give our dogs fish oil tablets year round and it really helps to prevent dry skin in the cold winter months.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank is still getting frequent baths, we have a lot of freezing & thawing (=mud) around here. I just dry him off really well before we leave the bathroom. If he needs to go out before he's completely dry I don't worry too much. Goldens are bred for retrieving game from lakes & streams during hunting season (fall/winter). A quick run outdoors for a potty break isn't going to harm them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts