Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Had a fun weekend of agility at the Silver Bay Kennel Club Dog Show. The first video is of Barley on the second day where he got a double Q! we did not get video of him on day one. But he did have a great standard run, ending the weekend with 3/4 Qs.

I will post Sammy when it's done uploading. He ran great all weekend! He listened so well and was moving fast, unfortunatly we had some bad luck... Coming out of the chute to the dog walk his stride was off and missed the UP contact... Which I did not learn until after the run, I never paid attention to it before since he always makes it... And then the next day in his standard run we came out too early (to warm up) and I had treats and started breaking them into tiny tiny pieces to make them last longer... Well after the a-frame, he gagged... I am guessing it was on a tiny treat, but it could have been spit. It threw him off a little. Poor guy. It was nice to have the table next as it gave him a moment to recoop! Everything said and done, I was thrilled with him this weekend! Love my Sammy dog!

Here is Barley

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! It was lots of fun, it's too bad you had to work this weekend!

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is Sammy!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Oh Go Red Boys!! I just Love watching them Fly! But, they can be slow coming down the A-Frame n Tetter... :)

How did Mira like the weekend? Does she listen as good as the boys? :)

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I know, I think my new training project is going to be working on those contacts! Just not sure what I want to do yet :) unfortunately though Barley will always have a turtle slow teeter, as he does to like the movement... But I can live with that! Sammy has a nice teeter...

Mira was good, she is still too young to compete, but she always comes to watch and enjoy the weekend. We work on some obedience while we are there with her too.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Fun! Congrats on the QQ!

With dogs that tall, it's easy to miss an up contact of they're "leaping". You can put those upside down U-things at the base of the up side - teach them to duck under them as they ascend the contact obstacles. It's also good for squaring up teeter approaches.

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fun! Congrats on the QQ!

With dogs that tall, it's easy to miss an up contact of they're "leaping". You can put those upside down U-things at the base of the up side - teach them to duck under them as they ascend the contact obstacles. It's also good for squaring up teeter approaches.
Thanks, that is a good idea, and we do have one of those where I take classes... But do you think it will transfer over to when it is not there? I sure wish I had a huge yard and contacts to train with on a daily basis!!

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
After long enough, it will, b/c it becomes a habit. BUT, if you only train with it once a week and still show every weekend, then no -- that's not enough to replace the habit.

As an alternative, can you call him to slow him down? I generally hate to use an "easy" cue, but maybe that would help.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
WOW! Very impressive TEAM videos there. I am sure you will figure out the contact issue. Very impressive how you are able to navigate the course in such a flowing manner as not to get in your dog's path. You all have a very bright future in agility ahead of you. ENJOY it always!!

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After long enough, it will, b/c it becomes a habit. BUT, if you only train with it once a week and still show every weekend, then no -- that's not enough to replace the habit.

As an alternative, can you call him to slow him down? I generally hate to use an "easy" cue, but maybe that would help.
I can slow him down, more just by positioning but they know easy too. I think I will just have to pay more attention... And only use it if I feel I need to... I am hoping it was a one time thing... He has a tendancy to come out of the chute a little off balanced, so I think I need to be more aware of what comes next... Thanks for the ideas!

I am going to work on some ideas for picking up speed on the downside with Barley as well. The person I train with sent me some side by side footage with a weimaraner and there is a huge difference and I think Barley would respond well to something similar. She went quickly (rather than the same speed as the dog) to the end and turned into him as he came into the contact zone... Does that make sense?

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WOW! Very impressive TEAM videos there. I am sure you will figure out the contact issue. Very impressive how you are able to navigate the course in such a flowing manner as not to get in your dog's path. You all have a very bright future in agaility ahead of you. ENJOY it always!!
Thank you so much, I appreciate the compliment. We have been learning this game together as a team, and I am loving every minute of it! There is always something to work on, but I think its the fun of these activities. :D

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Trying to get the audio working again for Barley... Still not, but first video was deleted. You can see it here

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
I can slow him down, more just by positioning but they know easy too. I think I will just have to pay more attention... And only use it if I feel I need to... I am hoping it was a one time thing... He has a tendancy to come out of the chute a little off balanced, so I think I need to be more aware of what comes next... Thanks for the ideas!

I am going to work on some ideas for picking up speed on the downside with Barley as well. The person I train with sent me some side by side footage with a weimaraner and there is a huge difference and I think Barley would respond well to something similar. She went quickly (rather than the same speed as the dog) to the end and turned into him as he came into the contact zone... Does that make sense?
How did you teach contacts?

If he's clicker savvy, what if you clicked the instant a front paw touched grass?

Also, I can't swear to it, but I think the same dog who missed the up contact on the dog walk was just barely in the up zone on the a-frame. Like I said, it's really hard for the tall dogs if they take a frolicking leap onto the obstacle!

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In the end I know the problem lies with me and my inconsistencies. Isn't that always the case!

With Sammy (one who missed the up contact, occasionally (maybe 2xs) misses a down contact, but has quicker contacts all around) he never had any good initial contact training. He was the first dog I have owned and trained, and I had no criteria for his performance. A few years ago I did get a small contact trainer and clicker trained a 2o2o contact, he can do great at home, but when we get on a course (not just in trials, but in classes too) his contacts are always iffy. With him I am okay with it being a management thing.

When I started with Barley he was trained with a target and 2o2o and release cue. He seems to have a better concept of what he is supposed to do, but sometimes starts to stop short anticipating a release. He has never missed a contact, but they are sometimes very slow as he gets into the contact area. It's not that bad as even with his slow contacts he is still usually picks up 8-10 MACH points in a standard run.

So now I am thinking I may try out some different training ideas for contacts... Plus I want to get a good system for Mira. What do you use for Quiz? Mira is smaller at 13 months is about 21.5" and 48 pounds. (Sammy and Barley are both 26+ and 75 pounds) Right now she is not doing full sized contacts, but has a very good nose target touch on small ones. This is was clicker trained, although now I just use a "yes" cue...

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Yay! Good job Sammy and Barley! :D

It's tough when you're stuck with handler-dependent contacts ... do you know whether the weimaraner was Lori Barbee's Encore? (it was basically either Encore or someone from far away, because her other dog does 2o2o). I'm pretty sure he was originally trained 2o2o since he's not her first dog, so not sure how much the handling is even contributing. The running ahead and turning in works well for some dogs but you have to be able to get far enough ahead that the dog coming down sees you turned into him and not you racing him. If there's still a race going on when the dog starts down the down ramp, you're in trouble.

With my Dusty, he's perfectly capable of running faster than me and if I start a race, he decides he wants to win. So I have to stay at his shoulder and do whatever to get him to hit the contact, it varies (usually varying degrees of turn into him, use the opposite hand, slow down, and babble at him). Or if I can get way ahead like with a tunnel or something, then I can think about getting completely in his way at the end and then he'll adjust his stride and end up with a nice running contact.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts