Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not sure how to stop/train my 12 week old to stop barking.... his food is in the garage, thus I have to open the back door to get food. He immediately starts barking. I have tried to sneak out, lol, so he doesn’t see me bring food in. I have given commands “no park” , hold food away until the barking stops, make him sit. My last Golden wasn’t a barker, so not sure how to train for this. He also barks when he wants something from us, toys, play with him, etc. it is like a nonstop barking until he gets his way..

·
Registered
183 Posts
I know it's easier said than done, but you can't give into the barking. Our puppy was kinda a barker as well when he was younger. Every time he barked, we put him outside for a potty break, diligently and consistently. If he barked outside when we put him outside, we put him back in his crate/pen. We kept doing this until he stopped because he wasn't getting what he wanted. It was a lot, a lot of work. It's tiring carrying a 20 pound puppy back and forth! But we wanted him to know that a bark from him meant a signal to us that he needed to go potty. He of course was very bewildered, but learned very quickly how to alert us to when he needed to go potty, which is what we wanted.

At around your puppy's age, he also go into a bad habit of barking at me when I was preparing his breakfast. I would wait him out and ignore him, and if he kept going, I kept a plastic jar/bottle of coins, and when he barked, I shook it at him. Basically, it was my way of saying I don't disagree with your behavior and it startled him enough for him to stop for a bit, and once it was quiet, he got food. Now, when I prepare his food, which actually takes longer now, he just lays and waits like a very good boy, and doesn't make a peep.

Good luck! Remember, you are smarter and stronger willed than your puppy! :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Ooooh I might steal the penny jar idea.

We have a 2 and approx 10 month old golden we adopted when he was 18 months old. First 6 months he wasn’t much of a barker. But since his full confident happy personality has come out he barks at us sometimes to play with him if we are ignoring his other cues. His worst offense is barking in the garden if he wants us to come join him/play with him. He doesn’t bark related to food at all.
As we don’t want to annoy the neighbours we haven’t managed a consistent response. Sometimes we do join him in the garden to play so he gets what he wants (I know bad as we are reinforcing the barking), as we think yeah he probably does need a bit of mental stimulation/attention. Other times we make him come in so he doesn’t get his way and he stops barking.
He does do it less than he used to. So we’ve had some success but I know our inconsistency is blocking proper change.
So yeah probably really good idea to nip this in the bud when your puppy is little as the volume and deep ness of an adult Golden’s bark has really shocked us!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know it's easier said than done, but you can't give into the barking. Our puppy was kinda a barker as well when he was younger. Every time he barked, we put him outside for a potty break, diligently and consistently. If he barked outside when we put him outside, we put him back in his crate/pen. We kept doing this until he stopped because he wasn't getting what he wanted. It was a lot, a lot of work. It's tiring carrying a 20 pound puppy back and forth! But we wanted him to know that a bark from him meant a signal to us that he needed to go potty. He of course was very bewildered, but learned very quickly how to alert us to when he needed to go potty, which is what we wanted.

At around your puppy's age, he also go into a bad habit of barking at me when I was preparing his breakfast. I would wait him out and ignore him, and if he kept going, I kept a plastic jar/bottle of coins, and when he barked, I shook it at him. Basically, it was my way of saying I don't disagree with your behavior and it startled him enough for him to stop for a bit, and once it was quiet, he got food. Now, when I prepare his food, which actually takes longer now, he just lays and waits like a very good boy, and doesn't make a peep.

Good luck! Remember, you are smarter and stronger willed than your puppy! :)
thank you, we have started with the shake can, it works sometimes. As for the food, I hold off giving him his food unot til the barking stops, as well as making him sit and wait until I release him for the food. Unfortunately, I can see this barking is going to be an ongoing issues, lol.

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,471 Posts
I do want an indication of when they want to go out (some of my dogs bark, some silently run to the back door etc). It is up to them to decide their signal.

But demand barking is simply not tolerated unless it is still their signal they need out and they need it now. If my current 11 week old barks because I am preparing food or when I am setting out food, I stand straight up & just look at her until she sits (can dogs bark & sit at the same time? I don't know but have never seen it).

She needs to sit when I have my hand on any door or gate before it is opened. Eventually my dogs (multi dog household) lose the demand barking for non essentials ... btw, this does not seem to interfere with their barking to alert me, but really helps them learn demand barking rarely gets them the interaction they want.

Dogs do what works, so if their barking does not get them what they want it will stop :)

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Rukie went through a phase of barking when I was fixing his breakfast which woke up the household. Anytime he barked, I set his bowl on the counter and walked out of the kitchen. It didn't take very long for him to figure out barking delayed the meal and he stopped.

Reactions: AmberSunrise

·
Registered
518 Posts
I do want an indication of when they want to go out (some of my dogs bark, some silently run to the back door etc). It is up to them to decide their signal.

But demand barking is simply not tolerated unless it is still their signal they need out and they need it now. If my current 11 week old barks because I am preparing food or when I am setting out food, I stand straight up & just look at her until she sits (can dogs bark & sit at the same time? I don't know but have never seen it).

She needs to sit when I have my hand on any door or gate before it is opened. Eventually my dogs (multi dog household) lose the demand barking for non essentials ... btw, this does not seem to interfere with their barking to alert me, but really helps them learn demand barking rarely gets them the interaction they want.

Dogs do what works, so if their barking does not get them what they want it will stop :)
You seem very experienced with this. So can I ask for your wisdom? Hopefully this might be helpful to the OP too.

Teddy doesn’t demand bark for food or toilet, he has his signals for wanting to go out.
He only demand barks to get us to play (outside) or to get a toy that’s out of his reach/ rolled under furniture indoors.

Or if he’s gone out to our secure garden (spring summer months we leave back door open for short periods of the day, so he can go out to garden, he loves to lay out there in the shade for a snooze or to watch the birds), after a while on his own he sometimes barks for us to join him. Although re the latter sometimes he’ll stop barking if we call him and he’ll happily trot back in and come find us. Will also always come back if you rattle his biscuits tin.

He’s never left unattended outside for more than 30 minutes and we have cameras outside so if we are working or relaxing indoors we do keep watch and see what he is doing via our Iphones.

What should we do regarding his demand barking for us from the garden? I’d like to stop luring him back with biscuits.

·
Registered
13,471 Posts
Personally, I would let him bark in those situations as long as he doesn't make a nuisance of himself. If he is a nuisance about it, I would train an alternate behavior - in my case I would consider an alternate like grabbing a toy and coming to me (my dogs tend to do that so I would just pair it with being let out.

Barking to come in is tougher - do you never want him to bark to come in? Or does he go out and then bark to come in ? IOW, is it a game to him ? In which case I might consider not letting him in but just watching from where he can't see you to make sure he's just barking to hear himself.

My dogs ALWAYS get a small treat each time they come inside,,my Wren (11 weeks) already runs inside and sits her cute little butt down to get her treat (as do all my dogs even if they no longer have cute little butts), some people practice randomizing the treats for coming inside after awhile, I keep it up their whole lives using mini treats. Even my breeder (field trainers and old style obedience trainers) give their dogs treats when they come inside -- in their cases big treats LOL But you should move from luring to treating once HE has come in (IOW he need to start earning the treat by coming inside). If he won't come in without luring, put him on a leash or long line and 'assist' him in--if he's older than a few months you should not be doing all the work of getting him inside :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Personally, I would let him bark in those situations as long as he doesn't make a nuisance of himself. If he is a nuisance about it, I would train an alternate behavior - in my case I would consider an alternate like grabbing a toy and coming to me (my dogs tend to do that so I would just pair it with being let out.

Barking to come in is tougher - do you never want him to bark to come in? Or does he go out and then bark to come in ? IOW, is it a game to him ? In which case I might consider not letting him in but just watching from where he can't see you to make sure he's just barking to hear himself.

My dogs ALWAYS get a small treat each time they come inside,,my Wren (11 weeks) already runs inside and sits her cute little butt down to get her treat (as do all my dogs even if they no longer have cute little butts), some people practice randomizing the treats for coming inside after awhile, I keep it up their whole lives using mini treats. Even my breeder (field trainers and old style obedience trainers) give their dogs treats when they come inside -- in their cases big treats LOL But you should move from luring to treating once HE has come in (IOW he need to start earning the treat by coming inside). If he won't come in without luring, put him on a leash or long line and 'assist' him in--if he's older than a few months you should not be doing all the work of getting him inside :)
Thanks that is helpful.
We adopted him at 18 months and he had been benignly neglected so very little training, just the basics and luckily a lovely temperament. So we’ve kinda been working backwards.
He barks when he is in the garden by himself and he wants to either check where we are or he wants us to join him to play. 70% of the time he soon he grabs a toy in his mouth, so barking stops. We give him a quick fuss or a 5 minute play. Then if we are busy encourage him in, he will often then follow us in without biscuit bribes. Other 30%, if I am busy so can’t come out and play I stand at the door so he stands barks some more. But I am firmly saying ‘enough’ with a pointing motion and his barking response is as a result stopping quicker. Then once he stops I shake the biscuit tin and he runs in for a biscuit.

From what your saying, I think I should give him the biscuit if he comes in without being lured in by the tin rattling?! So yeah I’m not rewarding him when he does the correct behaviour of his own accord instead using biscuits as bribery. So I need to try to switch that around.

Complicating factor I am trying to watch his weight as well as he’s at a really healthy slim weight after loosing 4kg recently. So biscuits need to be rationed! When we’re working from home he’s in and out of the garden a lot!

·
Registered
13,471 Posts
My dogs get either the mini Mother Hubbard treats(10 calories) or Milkbone minis (5 calories) - my pup gets whatever portion I can break off LOL

Basically small or mini dog treats are my go to for back door. I have also used Cheese Balls (Utz) which I think only have 1 calorie apiece but those are too tasty for us humans !!

I would actively encourage grabbing a toy in his mouth LOL It's fast, effective & cute!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts