Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 7 month old, Jax, barks wayyyy too often! If he wants to go out (which is fine), when he's excited (again fine), but then it seems like he barks for attention, barks at his sister Lucy, barks when she has a toy he wants (which seems like it is every toy she has), barks if I am showing Lucy any attention, and the list goes on and on. I can mostly figure out why the barking IS, but its just way too often and for too long.

Does anyone have any tips to on how to get him to stop the repetitive barking? Once, twice, even three times is fine, but it's getting really annoying sometimes!

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Molson's in a similar stage at 10 months old :( I've tried interrupting him mid-bark but it just makes him bark more because he thinks I'm playing. I tried ignoring him but he gets worse the longer I wait. I'll be watching the thread too for some advice!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could only hope this is a stage! I tried ignoring too, but I guess I just can't wait him out...nerve wracking!!

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Storee has had to use a bark collar from time to time, she's always got something to say, and it was getting annoying/bad with her constantly barking at everything from the wind to one of the other dogs drinking water or not playing with her...

Once she figured out the collar, she was fine, and I just have to put her e-collar on now if she's in that sort of mood and 'quiet' doesn't work on her (guess that's why her name is Storee).

Lana

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just can't bring myself to putting an e-collar on him. I know it's only a small shock, but I just couldn't do it. I hope someone has some behavioral suggestions for me though.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Roxy and Elliot used to bark to remind me to hurry up and get their evening meal. They learned to be quiet when I refused to move until they stopped barking.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I need help with this also. My Jack is 22 months and barks at everything, even things he imagines. He barks if the wind blows, he barks at the Christmas tree, he GROWLS at the presents. I think I'm way past this is a stage issue. I don't want to put an e-collar on him but I might have to. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Roxy and Elliot used to bark to remind me to hurry up and get their evening meal. They learned to be quiet when I refused to move until they stopped barking.
Bailey used to bark whilst i prepared his meals too.I too stood still until he stopped.It didn't take long for him to get the message ;)

Edit:He recently started barking again in the evenings and i couldn't figure out what was wrong - until i looked out the window.Living near a small airport he could see the lights on the approaching aircraft getting closer to the house - this was spooking him.I let him outside a few times so he could listen to the planes pass by and this settled him.He's quite used to them during daylight hours.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I could only hope this is a stage! I tried ignoring too, but I guess I just can't wait him out...nerve wracking!!

It was a stage for mine, so maybe there's hope!! Sam went through a major barking phase.. where he'd literally stand in front of me and bark bark bark trying to get attention, or whatever. We tried EVERYTHING from ignoring him, to putting him in time out, to trying to distract him.. nothing made him stop. This was when he was fairly young.. maybe 4-5 months old.. major bratty phase for him!! He definitely out grew it... and learned he gets nothing by "yelling" at me! :)

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I just can't bring myself to putting an e-collar on him. I know it's only a small shock, but I just couldn't do it. I hope someone has some behavioral suggestions for me though.

Well, they have Citronella collars. They don't shock the dog. When the dog barks it sprays Citronella. It's the smell that gets to them. :)

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
You could use his barking as a training opportunity. Sometimes, a dog doesn't know what you want when you tell him "Quiet". So, when Jax barks, give him the "speak" command and reward with a treat. He'll associate barking with the command fairly quickly. When he's been speaking and then is about to be quiet (you can usually see it), give the "quiet" command and reward. Once he associates the words with the action, it may be easier to get him to shush!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts