Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Phinn is really doing great. He is almost 6 months now and we have had him for just over 4 weeks. His new thing we can not figure out is when someone comes in the house, not everyone or not everytime time, he will start growling, barking and his hair along his back will stand up. He does not seem like his is in attack mode as today he did this to my 85 year old grandfather after he took his jacket off. I tried to have my grandfather give him a treat with me stranding close by. He did stop the barking and growling and kept inching closer to the treat but never took it from my grandfather's hand. Any sugesstions?? I work nights and do not mind him barking when someone comes to the door but the agression is confusing.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I'm no expert but it sounds like a lack of early socialization since you got Cullen at 5 months. A basic obedience class would be a good first step to letting him meet lots of people and dogs.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Sounds like more of a fear thing to me. Oh my goodness there's a STRANGER!!!!! SCARY STRANGER!!!!

I would be taking him lots of new places to meet new people or even just be around different people, even if they're not meeting him. Sounds like he needs to be exposed to lots of new things and have very positive experiences doing so, so he starts to learn that new people aren't going to 'get him'. At the same time, get people to come to your house more often and just ignore him. No treats or bribes, just pretend he's not there. That way he gets used to more people coming into the house, but the people will seem to not care if he's there or not. Email everyone you know and see if you can book people to come and watch tv, which is ideal as they tend to not be talking/moving as much and your pup can explore at his own pace and confort level.

They do go through a fear period at this age sometimes too, so I wouldn't make a huge deal of trying to get him to take treats from strangers just yet. You may find he quickly starts to be more social and approach faster and faster with time, and eventually you can give your guests treats, but only when he's starting to come up and meet them every time himself.

Lana

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
"Positive experience" as bender suggested, is key.

If your puppy is scared about something, back off for a bit, to a point where he's comfortable and will take treats. I would also find a positive reinforcement type class ASAP. While many puppies will do this... this may be falling outside the line of what is normal puppy behavior, and the sooner you address this the better. Fearful puppies will grow up to be fearful adults if appropriate steps are not taken, and often, there continues to be some training/activities necessary to maintain behavior.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts