Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha all!

Background: Maximus has always been a very sit in my lap kinda dog and I totally don't mind (even though he is 115pounds) But he is losing some of his manners and I realize it must be something I am doing (or not doing), but I am at a loss on how to retrain him. I recently got a new puppy who must have been heaven sent. It took him a day to potty train, he sits, walks nice on a leash, goes in his kennel when told and is now learning to fetch. I have included Max in all of our activities (walks, playtime, pets, mealtimes etc) but sometimes I just need a moment to mop, or I have a guest who is much smaller than my Max (like a child) and is scared so I will put Max (and Leonidas as well) outside.

Here is the problem. Maximus WILL NOT be quiet. He will whine and bark and paw at the door for however long he is outside without me. If I am ouside he could care less, but If I dont stay out with him, he freaks. He won't even go potty unless I tell him to and even then I have to stand there to watch. It's kind of silly! I have within the past few days been making him sit and given him the command wait, which he knows well,then treat him when he is quiet and I tell him "good quiet" and that works for about 5 seconds, then he is whining away. I feel so bad for him and I do not know how to approach the situation properly. I don't want to undo all the training I have already done, and Max is a fabulous dog!

You all have been so wonderful thus far, I am just hoping for some great advice!! Thanks in advance!!

Aimee

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Rusty was 2 when we got his half sister, Penny.. He has been a mama's boy all along and doen't even want to stay out if I am not out there. If I go out he plays, runs, wrestles and zoomies with Penny.. But when I go in he cries at the door. Penny is totally fine.. She has an independent streak any way. What I had to do is spread an extendable baby gate accross the door to keep him from pawing at it. In his case he is very respectful of the gate. Totally my fault.. a few times one has flallen over making a loud noise. I wish I could be of more help.. I will be looking for answers from the " pros " with you! :crossfing

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Max is 2!( and terrified of baby gates!!) I had on on the stairs for a child I was watching and it tipped over, ever since then he wont go near it if it is out. Poor guy! Leo will play and run and eventually lay down and fall asleep even if im not outside. he could care less! Maximus was never like that. He always wanted to be right on top of me. *eye roll* they will neer know how giant they really are I don't think! I just feel bad for him, I can tell by his whine/barking he is stressed and I feel bad bc I'm the one making him feel that way by leaving him outside! I feel like such a mean mommy, but He has to learn to be quiet outside. I just don't know what to do!!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I dont know. Can you put him in another room will he be quiet? When he is outside if you give him a kong with a bunch of goodies in it would that help?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He does have a whole basket of toys and a kong full of treats, but he doesn't care. He will just whine. I am going to try to put him out and just ignore him to see if that helps. He HAS to learn, I just feel bad for my neighboors! lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts