Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I posted yesterday about Maximus barking and whining at the door... and today I tried letting him work it out with me inside. He never did stop. He whined and barked for 3 hours! 3! I am going to try the food in the yard for dinner tonight, but I am at my wits end. I should have realized this was a bigger problem before I had the puppy, but live and learn right? I called barkbusters ( I heard they were the best) but the guy wants almost $800 bucks since I have a "pack". My issue is, Leonidas is great. He doens't need any training, Max does! I have that on hold until I get some input from you guys. Should I keep trying my own thing until something works and hope Leo doesn't pick up on the bad habits or should I call in a trainer? I found another trainer who is $150 for an hour, and I think I may only need one hour to learn how to react to him... does that sound reasonable or am I crazy? I am just so lost, and with my husband deployed I have nobody else to talk to who really cares about how my dogs behave.

Ug. Help?

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I would try the food in the yard, or marrow bones, and see how he does. Even if all you do for now is ask him to sit and be quiet at the door with you on the other side before you let him in. I wouldn't go out with him for bathroom breaks either (not sure if you do or not), I'd boot him out and let him figure out he needs to go do his thing.

You could also work on crate training first instead, do short stints in the crate with you in the same room, building up the time he's in, go to the bathroom and come back so he sees you leave the room for a minute....

Baby steps! Even if all he does for now is eat in the backyard, he'll start to figure it out.

Lana

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
bumping up. I know some people here have used barkbusters and you might pm theflyingquizini. steph will probably know the best method to use.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is crate trained and has no problem at all in his crate. He loves it. I don't put him in it anymore, I just let him go in when he wants to, he sleeps in it sometimes on his own and sometimes I find him in there cuddling with his teddy bear. His only issues are greeting people at the door (he is soooo over friendly it scares people) and whining/barking when he is alone outside. I do go out with him to go potty becasue if I don't he WILL NOT go. It's ridiculous. I thought maybe it was some kind of seperation thing, but he is totally fine in the house when I am not home, I hooked up my digital camera and watched him a few times. *sigh* I know I did something to make him not want to be out there and I feel so bad just letting him whine. I must not have the right attitude/approach I just don't know how to fix it and would hate to have the puppy grow up and think that is how things work around here, I would lose it if I had TWO big dogs who wouldn't pee unless I was outside! Thanks for the advice. I am going to try the dinner in the yard method and see what happens. =)

Aimee

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Out of curiosity, during this 3 hours (wow, you're persistent!! And I mean that in a good way!) what exactly were you doing? Were you in sight? Were you looking at him? Were you saying anything? Were you still or moving around? Not trying to play 20 questions, but I've learned sometimes having as much info as possible will help others to tailor their advice or catch something you can try changing. I hope someone's able (here or a trainer) is able to help you and your pup figure this out!

Julie and Jersey

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, during the 3 hours the blinds were closed and Max couldn't directly see me or hear me. He could view me through the blinds, but I wasn't talking to him or checking on him or anything. I could see by his shadow he was pacing abck and forth in front of the door. I was sitting in the living room doing (well trying to) do some homework.

I gave up trying to figure this out on my own. I called in a trainer, and she is coming in tomorrow at 10. hopefully she can teach me how to react to him to help fix his stress and axiety. I feel so bad that I let it go on for so long, and now I am kicking myself and can't blame Max. It's not his fault I'm a bad doggy mommy. =(

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
You're not a bad dog mommy.... you and Max are just learning together. And this doesn't seem to be your average every day behavior issue, so of course it's taking some time to work out. I'm glad you found a trainer to work with. Good luck!! Keep us updated!

Julie and Jersey

1 - 7 of 7 Posts