Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Buddie and Bobbies Mom
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had Bob for over a month now and as most of you know we have had the HARDEST time getting her to eat. She is only 9lbs and is 12 weeks old. We have tried everything and anything....so we have deceided to try to Raw diet, and see how it works for her.

Anyone feed their dog this way? I want to know the bad and good....what you feed and what works best.

I tried tonight and she ate like never before! She had some steak, chicken livers, carrot and banana for dessert!

Thanks

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,057 Posts
There have been quite a few threads on raw feeding lately....if you just type in "Raw" in the seach thread, you should get a few hits....some very good information.

I feed my dogs 50% raw....kibble in the morning, raw for supper. They love it. We've tried chicken, beef, alpaca, duck, elk and green tripe (iiccckkk). I have yet to find anything they don't like. My one guy (Austin) has put on 4 pounds since going raw. He was weighed at the vets yesterday....I'm sure my other 2 have also gained weight but haven't had them weighed....they all look great though.

If you can't find the threads, I'm sure you'll get some more feedback from the other raw feeders on the forum.

Here are a couple of recent threads.

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/golden-retriever-nutrition-feeding-recipes/83398-raw-faq.html

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/golden-retriever-nutrition-feeding-recipes/84946-raw-food-confusion.html

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Make sure you do lots of research - more than just reading the threads on this forum, even though there is a TON of good info on here. Especially since you have a little puppy, you'll want to make sure you follow the guidelines/ratios just right.

Decide whether you want to go prey model or BARF and research both before making an informed decision on what's best for your puppy. As easy as feeding raw is, there's a lot of researching, weighing, feeding guidelines that takes awhile to get used to - before it becomes 'second nature'. Ranger's on his third month of raw and I'm just now getting to the point where I'm not weighing everything on the scale.

The general consensus is to feed a dog one protein source when you start so the dog has a chance to get used to it. So you feed chicken parts for a week and then start adding in a different protein. You eventually want to get to where there's a huge variety in diet (like Laurie mentioned above) but you don't want to start with a huge variety of protein. If you feed fish in the morning, beef and livers for lunch, and then duck in the evening and Bob gets the runs the next day - you won't know what caused it. Some dogs can't handle a certain protein or some can't handle it for too long. Ranger got the runs after 3 days of being on just pork (my bad).

You'll also have to check and see how much bone you need to feed a growing puppy. For prey model method for an adult dog, the ratio you aim for is 70% meant, 20% bone (edible bone ONLY - marrow bones, hock bones don't count), and 10% offal/organs - half of that needs to be liver. But that's for an adult dog - I have no idea what the ratio is for a growing puppy.

I aim to hit that on a weekly basis, NOT day to day and especially not meal to meal. This week, Ranger has had seperate meals of: chicken quarters, mackeral fish, beef liver, pork lung, sardines, green tripe, bison, and elk. Later today he's getting beef ribs and more beef liver - maybe duck gizzards. As long as you hit the correct ratios over a week's time, you're doing good! And some dogs can handle more liver, some dogs can't handle such a variety of meats...like Laurie, I haven't found anything that Ranger HASN'T been excited to eat.

For a puppy (or any dog, really), I'd say to make sure you keep the items LARGE, especially while Bob learns to chew properly. Even though you possibly could give her chicken wings or drumsticks, I'd stay FAR away from those since they are a choke hazard, especially when she gets bigger. Give her BIG pieces and then break them down into a smaller meal. For instance, instead of giving her 8 oz of chicken wings for a meal, give her a 15 oz chicken quarter and let her eat half of it, take it away and rinse it, then give it back to her for her next meal. You'll reduce the chance of choke if you give her items bigger than her head. Ranger's eating beef ribs today that my mom picked up for him...she cut them up and bagged them individually. While very thoughtful of her, it would have been safer for Ranger (and easier for her), if they'd been kept whole and the whole rack of ribs tossed to him. After he'd eaten half of it, I'd have taken it away and stored it for later. But, not a big deal for him since he knows how to chew at this point.

Hope some of this info helps - if you want to see how Ranger started, check out my blog. I started off with 50% kibble and 50% raw (fed in seperate meals) then went full raw - there's two blogs about it with Ranger's daily menu on there from August to September, and now September onwards.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
You'll also have to check and see how much bone you need to feed a growing puppy. For prey model method for an adult dog, the ratio you aim for is 70% meant, 20% bone (edible bone ONLY - marrow bones, hock bones don't count), and 10% offal/organs - half of that needs to be liver. But that's for an adult dog - I have no idea what the ratio is for a growing puppy.
Puppies get the same ratio, just a greater percentage of their body weight (2-3% of the expected adult weight). I do tend to try to balance the meals more on a day to day basis rather than over a week or month with a puppy and feed smaller meals more frequently.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
When you feed the dog the raw meat, where do you put it? (does the dog eat in the house--and then do you have a health hazard with the blood and tissue on the floors? or do you put the dog outside to eat--and then do yellow jackets and flies come around?)

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I have taught my dogs to eat on mats. The mats are actually made for whelping boxes (4X4) and have a water proof backing. They can go in the washer as needed. You could also feed in a crate or ex-pen.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Ranger eats outside and the flies only come out sometimes when he eats and then he spends time snapping at them. I think it's very natural since I alway see flies buzzing around wolves' kills on National Geographic programs! The only problem we had once was when Ranger didn't lick the grass clean and he left some pieces of raw meat on the grass. I went outside a few hours later and there were TONS of flies and wasps eating it. Luckily, Blue came out later and ate up the scraps.

In winter, I'm planning on either feeding Ranger his thawed meals outside since it won't take him long to eat OR feeding him on the laminate flooring and then wiping it with white vinegar. He doesn't use his bowl anymore and is a pretty neat eater. Nothing touches his paws at all when he eats!

Aw thanks Laurie! And thanks IowaGold for that info on ratio for puppies - I knew they needed more food but didn't know the ratios were the same for them.

·
Buddie and Bobbies Mom
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the great info like usual. I am researching, and we are working with mostly chicken right now. SHe is have a hard time chewing. We are so excited to see her eat enthusiastically, but understand she must chew not just swallow. For now she is just eating from her bowl.

Thanks guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts