Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ron and jim n brought up the topic of the BARF Diet in my Goldens and Cancer thread. I had not heard of this diet before so I headed out into wild blue cyberspace and did some research on the subject. Now I know about the BARF Diet! But, I also know there are as many methods and opinions on what and how (or not what and not how) to feed this diet. The concept sure makes a LOT of sense when you think about it. The main point being that not one animal on earth was (is) evolutionary predisposed to eat a cooked diet! Dogs' and cats' digestive systems are not capable of digesting grains and starches. Thus the BARF Diet concentrates on raw meaty bones, animal carcasses and offal. BUT the difference comes between people that feed their own and people that buy commercial products. Some add vegetables, some don't. Some people even add special water filters to make sure the water is alkaline and devoid of chorine and fluoride.

Okay - all that said, I sure would like to hear real life experiences from some of you that are feeding the BARF Diet. How do you do it? Where do you get the food and what foods are you feeding. How difficult (or easy) is it to obtain and keep these foods? Inquiring Golden Minds Want To Know!!!

·
Old Guy
3,243 Posts
Since you brought it up...
I have 'known' about the commercial marketing of RAW diets for pets since 1994 (when Give Your Dog A Bone was first published- actually 1993), though you do realize that feeding dogs raw food has always been done... it was merely 'latched onto' by people of the 'kibble generation' who had never really thought about it before. The first thing I'd like you to be aware of before you go too far with this is... look at sites that caution against this type of diet... there are very few because anti-RAW is currently an unpopular viewpoint, but if you search for them you will find several. The whole RAW movement is currently dominated by cultist and fanatics who attack anyone who even dare question the diet. And you are right... there are so many approaches and variations out there because so many neophytes proclaim miracles have happened and elevated themselves to guru status and then have their own version of the how's and what's appropriate for this diet. Another piece of good advice I will give to you and this comes from many (10+) years of experience of dealing with some of these animal health forums... don't bother going to any of those forums for advice or help... you just might end up killing your pet and this is no joke! I will save the details for another time unless I'm really pushed on this matter. Our last dog, was fed RAW from the time he was 3-years until he past away at 10-1/2 years of kidney failure. This is by no means an indictment of the diet... to the contrary, I am still a proponent of the diet however my wife harbors a belief that the auto-immune disease that took our beloved Kimo's life so early (American Eskimo's are generally a very long lived breed) may have been due to the RAW diet... my own personal belief is it was most likely caused by vaccinations, which I discussed in great length with my vet. However I do freely admit we will never know the true cause of his kidney failure and I do respect my wife's opinion as having as much validity as my own... so today we are feeding Sidney kibble, though she allows me the additions of raw eggs and boiled chicken parts.
What I will say is this... There were no miracle cures or amazing health improvements to be noted with our Kimo. And I'd be highly skeptical of anyone who tells such tales. Also learn as much as you can about nutrition because unlike humans, who chose their own diets based upon personal desires and cravings from an almost infinite variety of foods... dogs can only eat what we give them and nothing more (unless you allow your dog some wild foraging as dogs of the past could do). This makes the long term balancing of your pet's diet very critical to his long term health... something to not take lightly on a whim of the latest fad. I do know a lot about nutrition... yes, enough to fill a book. I gained all that knowledge over decades... first because of a self-interest in human nutrition and later about pets because of getting involved in feeding RAW. And this is the most important piece of advice I can give you... Be very, very careful and make sure you know what you are doing before you start... I still believe in the RAW food diet but only if you truely know what you're doing.

·
Ron
103 Posts
Hello Goldencrazy [what a great name]
I would be glad to share with you my "real life experiences" with the BARF diet. I am NOt in a cult, I am NOT a fanatic, I do not consider myself a neophyte who has elevated myself to cult status, and the WHOLE raw movement is not dominated by those type of people. Like other people, I read, read, read. I suggest you do the same, and make a very confident decision. I am sure you LOVE your goldens as much as we do. In my case there has been some amazing health improvements, and I would be skeptical of anyone who denies it. Most noticeably, Sam has not had an epileptic seizure since starting this diet, and he is now off ALL MEDICATION for seizures. We can discuss other health improvements at a later date if you are interested. We buy our food from a local distributor, and there is a pet food store that carries it near us. Yes some do mix with vegetables, and that one is not as good for our Golden's. We did by a stand alone freezer, since we buy 300 lb's at a time. So the initial costs were higher but it evens out to about the same price as Kibble once you get going. The only difference I notice is, you must do some REALLY good clean-up after they eat, because you are dealing with RAW food.
My beautiful Golden's are doing GREAT! Please continue to ask questions, yes it is okay to ask questions on forums. I will help as long as you are interested.
I will push rescue, I will love golden's, and I will visit this sight
Good luck
Ron

·
Registered
45 Posts
Excellent points made by all. Feeding raw is nothing to be taken lightly. Do your research. If you make your own you will need to find meats that are not full of steroids, growth hormones, vaccines, etc.
goldencrazy, I live in northeast Ohio. There is a raw food processor about 25minutes away. They ship, I would imagine delivery to southern Ohio would be 2 days. Everything is packed in a styrofoam case and ice. You can check them out at www.aplaceforpaws.com.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts