Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brown Wood Paint Floor Flooring
My golden retriever who is 5 years old started doing this about a year ago I’ve been to multiple vets and get no where he pukes like this at random time and we can’t figure out why they said it was stomach parasites but we cured those and no heart worms and they still don’t no we switched dog food which helped but not fixed it I don’t no what to do I gotta put him outside a lot to avoid these messes but I miss having him inside
Dog Vertebrate Door Comfort Dog supply

·
Noreaster
2,247 Posts
That must be really frustrating but putting him outside will just make him anxious and that might make the problem worse, especially if he’s eating something or being exposed to something in the yard. See if you can find a vet that specializes in digestive problems. You could also try gradually switching him over to a hydrolyzed protein food and give him that and only that (no treats, no people food) for six weeks and see if that helps the problem. It’s not cheap but it’s less expensive than a full gastrointestinal workup.

There is a comprehensive gastrointestinal test panel available at Texas A&M veterinary university that your vet should know about that might help you diagnose this, but again, not inexpensive.

He looks like a wonderful dog. I hope you can help him feel better.

Reactions: CAROLINA MOM

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
I have had dogs that throw up the yellow bile when they went too long between meals. One Golden threw up first thing in the morning so we added a small kibble snack at bedtime. One non-golden dog threw up the bile late afternoon so we added a small lunch. It cured both dogs. You might try several small meals to see if it helps but I do think that looks like a lot of bile in the picture. If that doesn't help, I would agree to try a different vet or vet school. He looks healthy and sweet.

Reactions: Noreaster

·
Noreaster
2,247 Posts
That’s really great advice from CWAG. You might also talk to your vet about famotidine to help with excess stomach acid.

He looks very lean…how much is he being fed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I’m just now getting back to everyone I actually wasn’t expecting this fast and so many responses but it’s like a brown liquid iv seen the yellow your taking about that’s not it i give him one big meal a day I can’t remember how much is in the bowl but he never eats all of it anyways and I try and feed him in the morning if I do it at night he gets sick more often like I said it was a lot worse it has improved but just not gone and it’s not his fault so I never get mad but I gotta watch him inside because it’s really hard on my floors it has already done damage but I’m not giving up on him becuase of this. That’s why I got on here I will try doing smaller meals at certain times and see if that helps and some of the other things you guys recommend

·
Noreaster
2,247 Posts
If he’s being fed once a day, that definitely might cause a build-up of excess stomach acid…which gives him an upset stomach…which makes him not want to eat. You might want to add some cooked brown rice in with his food to help absorb some of the excess acid, as well. I have an older dog who often has what we used to call “Old Dog Gut” in the vet’s office where I worked and giving him smaller meals three times a day of one-third high-quality kibble, one-third lean protein canned food (mostly chicken), and one-third brown rice all mixed with some warm water seems to really help his digestion.
My best to you and Bandit…I hope you’ll let us know how he’s doing?

·
Registered
100 Posts
My dog was doing this. We did some antacids for him and ended up X-ray his belly. He swallowed rocks - irritated his belly which resulted in a lack of appetite and food aversion. All resulted with wet food (just to get him to eat) after puking or passing the rocks and meds to coat his stomach with Prilosec added. 😊

1 - 8 of 8 Posts