Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
~*Kristina*~
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my silly Bailey girl graduates from the puppy forum today so I thought I'd make her a new thread! I will try to get a good picture of her today, so far she's not having anything to do with my desire to take her picture today. I got one that turned out more like a mug shot LOL. She's like "really Mom, you haven't even had your coffee yet!"

We're still dealing with the puppy crazies of course (just cause she's one doesn't mean she grew up overnight!) and we're still working on some behavioral issues (the jumping and biting and generally overstimulated and under exercised issues). For her birthday today, she is getting a flirt pole (I finally figured out what that is!) and I think I'll take her to the pet store to get a special treat. After much begging, I got her in to the Beginner 2 class at the local dog training club, but despite a lot of progress we've made, the last week she has been absolutely crazy with her issues and honestly, I think she probably needs to start with the Beginner 1. It was full and since she has had some formal training and knows the curriculum of the Beginner 1, I talked them into letting us in Beginner 2, but now lately I feel like she would be a distraction to the others. So I am going to take the winter to work on getting the exercise where we need it to be and of course continue training at home, then get her in the Beginning 1 class in the spring. Even if the curriculum is easy for her, maybe it will help her focus.

* I'm sorry these pics are sideways. I have no idea why I take pics the same way, upload the same way, sometimes they are normal looking and sometimes turned......

Attachments

·
Mom to Sonny and Seamus
945 Posts
Bailey is beautiful! Happy Birthday big girl. Seamus will be 2 in April and we STILL have some of those issues to work on.......

Reactions: BaileyzMom

·
Registered
104 Posts
She is such a pretty girl!
We did a middle school class again in December, and I thought the trainer would kick us out! Talk about distractions. We hung in there and we are glad we did. I forced myself to go, just had to get over being embarrassed for Rambo's sake. He is just so full of life and exuberant. But that's my boy.
This trainer offers two trick classes. They will start this summer, so I am hoping Rambo will behave himself! Do you think that someday we might miss their " love of life" behavior?

·
~*Kristina*~
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Silly girl has a new training facility!!!!!! We started Obedience 1 with a great trainer this morning. She owns a local dog daycare/kennel and has a separate facility nearby for training classes. She's really great and even though it was in a class setting, she really observed and gave individual instructions to me on how to interact with Bailey. I wish I had found this place sooner. Bailey spent the day at the daycare yesterday and had a blast. She came home tired and happy, not tired and overstimulated like at the previous daycare. This afternoon we worked on our homework. It's been a while since I've felt this confident and hopeful about our training!! The pic below is of her this morning LOL.

Attachments

·
~*Kristina*~
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, everyone! Last weekend Bailey passed her Beginner Obedience class with flying colors! She has known how to do everything required for months now, but getting her to correctly do everything on the list, when asked, all on the same day around other dogs, well that was a source of concern! LOL. Even her trainer had her concerns LOL. BUT, the princess passed every item on the test, on the first try, and with a little flare! Cute little prances and popping that cute little but up and down LOL. She had everyone in the class cracking up. She has calmed down SO much in the last couple months. Only bites me now out of over-excitemtn and that is steadily improving. We're really working on loose leash walking now on a regular collar instead of the front-clip no pull collar and she's doing really well. She loves her day care and goes most Fridays. We should be starting Intermediate Obedience in the next few weeks. WOW! I think she is the "slowest" of her siblings as far as the maturity level goes but she also gets to be a silly pup. She's 14 months old and 70 pounds. She looks tiny in this picture though for some reason. She's not really in to having things on her head, so that will be our next trick to learn ;) Enjoy!!!

Attachments

·
~*Kristina*~
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bailey is 2 Years Old!!!

Hey, everyone! I have been away from the forum for a bit... sometimes life pulls me away from the fun stuff ;) It's hard to believe it, but Crazy Bailey is TWO! Well, she turned 2 on Jan 15 but by the time I remembered to come on here and brag about her, I got the flu. (Side note, get a flu shot, it's not too late, I had mine and this was horrible...) Crazy Bailey is calming down so much more every month. She's keeping a steady weight of 72 pounds (YIKES) and I think she could probably be a little leaner but her vet is pretty happy with her weight. She's actually taking on more of the name Silly Bailey now because her craziness ONLY happens with ME and when she is over the top excited about something. 80% of the time she walks beautifully on a loose leash and regular color as long as she has regular walks and outings. If a week goes by we don't get out much, it's pure excitement and starting all over. She's still the mouthiest dog I've ever known and she's starting to learn how to temper her excitement by getting a stuffy in her mouth. We took a break from formal training classes because the trainer was unable to offer anything on Saturdays for awhile, but we kept up the homework and always working on something. She knows "on your bed," "on the mat," and even though sit/stays and down/stays have been hard for her, something is starting to click. It was raining a couple weeks ago and I put her on her special mat she stands on for about a minute to dry her paws and told her to STAY. I turned my back to finish making my coffee and then just got sidetracked and started to walk out of the kitchen when she whined out. I turned around to find her still standing on the little mat, wide-eyed and nearly panicked that I was going to leave her there all day! She got some belly rubs and really yummy treats for that! She puts on a show for people, prancing around like a princess LOL. Her doggy daycare used to correct me for calling her "Crazy Bailey" telling me to give her a chance...... a couple months into some regular visits and they were calling her that as well, but everyone agrees that something is changing in her and her focus is sharp, her drive to please is really kicking in and she really pays attention to what goes on in the household and is truly a member of our pack. She's been completely free of the crate since about 16 months. Despite many attempts when she wasn't ready, I learned to listen to her and one day she showed me she was ready. Hasn't been in it since, we finally put it in the garage a few months ago. She hops in bed with us every night and cuddles until we fall asleep then she gets down on her own and sleeps on her own bed, she hops back up in bed to cuddle in the morning. Sweetest girl ever! I'm going to attach some recent pics for your gawking pleasure :grin2: I'm on the website uploading from my computer which I usually don't do so I hope they upload correctly!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
What a pretty girl. I love these posts where people have worked at training and are seeing progress and ecstatic about their dogs. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: BaileyzMom
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.