Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is the day for Bailey's spay. We just dropped her off about an hour ago and I miss her so much already :(. She got so scared when we left, but we brought her favorite blanket and toy and I think that helped a little bit. We filled out all the paperwork and they let us back to where she was to say goodbye and I cried like a baby :(. I know deep down that she will be ok, and its not so much the surgery that upsets me, its the fact that she was scared and I feel like there was nothing I could do to make it any better.
I know that she is in good hands and that they will take good care of her. I'm just patiently awaiting the call that she is out of surgery and everything went good and she is recovering nicely.
I can't wait to take her back home. Its too quiet here without her.
I have a couple new chew toys and bones for her. Hopefully that will keep her busy for a couple days at least. I took some time off to make sure that she doesn't get too crazy.
My one worry is the stairs because she has to walk up the stairs to get into the house and I don't want it to mess up the incision. She should be fine as long as she takes them slow, right?? I am afraid that if we had to carry her that it would be very painful for her so I am not too sure what I should do.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Best wishes for Bailey today!

When Cookie had her surgery last winter, she came out of the room at the vet that evening looking like she was drunk. I brought her home, and she kind of rested on my lap for an hour. By bedtime that night, she was back to her nutty self, and we had to try to keep her from getting too crazy (we tried! :))

·
Registered
788 Posts
Today is the day for Bailey's spay. We just dropped her off about an hour ago and I miss her so much already :(. She got so scared when we left, but we brought her favorite blanket and toy and I think that helped a little bit. We filled out all the paperwork and they let us back to where she was to say goodbye and I cried like a baby :(. I know deep down that she will be ok, and its not so much the surgery that upsets me, its the fact that she was scared and I feel like there was nothing I could do to make it any better.
I know that she is in good hands and that they will take good care of her. I'm just patiently awaiting the call that she is out of surgery and everything went good and she is recovering nicely.
I can't wait to take her back home. Its too quiet here without her.
I have a couple new chew toys and bones for her. Hopefully that will keep her busy for a couple days at least. I took some time off to make sure that she doesn't get too crazy.
My one worry is the stairs because she has to walk up the stairs to get into the house and I don't want it to mess up the incision. She should be fine as long as she takes them slow, right?? I am afraid that if we had to carry her that it would be very painful for her so I am not too sure what I should do.
Awww I went through this last thursday so I know how you feel. I assure you that she will be fine 100%. But I must warn you when you pick her up she will look drunk/stumbly. This made me cry like a baby, not sure why. Yes they arnt suppose to use stairs right away but if she takes it very slow she will be fine. It would be worse to pick hre up. Keep a close eye on the incision and if theres any excess redness/swelling, call your vet.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! We appreciate the good thoughts. Haven't heard anything yet, but I am sure that she is fine. I'll feel much better once I get the call that its all over :)
I am kinda worried about her getting too crazy because of the incision. We'll see what happens!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awww I went through this last thursday so I know how you feel. I assure you that she will be fine 100%. But I must warn you when you pick her up she will look drunk/stumbly. This made me cry like a baby, not sure why. Yes they arnt suppose to use stairs right away but if she takes it very slow she will be fine. It would be worse to pick hre up. Keep a close eye on the incision and if theres any excess redness/swelling, call your vet.
Thanks! How is Nyah doing?? Hope she is doing well :) I figured that picking her up would be much worse because of the incision. We'll go nice and slow up them when we get her back tonight.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
I just went through this last Wednesday and they recover fine. Koda was groggy when she came out of the room to us the first night and just slept pretty much that whole night. Thursday was more normal but she was still pretty tired. Friday - like she never had surgery. That is when it got tough. Taking the stairs slow is definitely better than picking her up the first day. Koda always lays on the couch and the first couple times we were picking her up but I think that was harder on her than just the light jump she makes so we stopped that.

One thing that can happen if they have to much activity is a seroma, which Koda has. It is just a pocket of fluid that eventually will drain back into their system, no biggie. But just watch for it so you can monitor it. Koda's hasn't really changed since Friday but if it gets too big the vet usually wants to drain it. Just something to look out for. Koda's is just a small bump next to the incision.

I am sure Bailey will be fine though..tougher on us trying to keep them calm.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just went through this last Wednesday and they recover fine. Koda was groggy when she came out of the room to us the first night and just slept pretty much that whole night. Thursday was more normal but she was still pretty tired. Friday - like she never had surgery. That is when it got tough. Taking the stairs slow is definitely better than picking her up the first day. Koda always lays on the couch and the first couple times we were picking her up but I think that was harder on her than just the light jump she makes so we stopped that.

One thing that can happen if they have to much activity is a seroma, which Koda has. It is just a pocket of fluid that eventually will drain back into their system, no biggie. But just watch for it so you can monitor it. Koda's hasn't really changed since Friday but if it gets too big the vet usually wants to drain it. Just something to look out for. Koda's is just a small bump next to the incision.

I am sure Bailey will be fine though..tougher on us trying to keep them calm.
Glad that Koda is doing well :) Bailey is active, so most likely she will get a seroma like Koda has. I would be shocked if she doesn't! I definitely will be watching the incision, I appreciate the heads up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to be going through the same thing tomorrow. I am so nervous. Please let me know how she made out.
I will update when I find anything out. I haven't heard anything yet, it feels like forever....ugh. They are going to call me when they are done and then again when its time to get her.

·
Chloe's Mom
168 Posts
I am so nervous about Chloe getting spayed tomorrow. Please let me know how you make out. Give me any feedback of what to do not to do, etc.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am so nervous about Chloe getting spayed tomorrow. Please let me know how you make out. Give me any feedback of what to do not to do, etc.

I will let you know how she did. Still haven't heard anything yet, my husband thinks that she was third because there was a list up. I have been going crazy. I would've been better if she wasn't acting scared when we left, but she was. I heard her whine when we were leaving and it killed me, she rarely whines or barks. Thats whats been sticking with me all day :( I just miss my baby girl.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Just went through this with Jordan last week. She has been doing great. She did a little erp on the car ride home. Have not had to use a cone at all. Stitches out tomorrow hopefully. She is going a bit stir crazy..and me too. Good luck everyone.

·
VickiR
239 Posts
Olivia will get her turn tomorrow.
Not looking forward to it.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Lots of forum pups getting their spay done. I am glad the worst part is over but it really isn't the worst. They just want to play and be themselves but they can't so its more sad than anything. But if your pups are like my Koda the night they come home they will just want to cling to you and cuddle which I welcomed with open arms!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well we got a call that she is doing wonderfully and she is waking up. We get to pick her up in a couple hours. It will be interesting to see how she is tonight...

Good luck to all the pups that are getting their spays done and to the ones recovering too.

I already can't wait to take Bailey for long walks, play with her and let her play with her boyfriend, Taz, a wheaten terrier its the cutest thing. I will have to take pics and post them soon, after she is recovered :)

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Yes, I am so ready for our walks and play time again. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed it until I didn't get to do it anymore. A few more days...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Roxie seems to be back to normal after hers on Monday. She also did not have a cone, but the vet says that if she starts to lick her cut, she will need one but he did not think she will and for the most part she has not. Every once in awhile I get on her to her about licking it, but not too bad. The hard part is trying to calm her down only a few days later. She is ready to go and play after the second day. The vet told us that she should be able to do most everything, but just keep an eye on her.

We we got her back the first night, she was pretty tired and seemed to be in alittle pain, but the next day, she seemed herself.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We have her home now! Its so sad how pathetic she is right now :-( She won't eat or drink anything. She just had a tiny bit of an ice cube. She did take a huge pee in the parking lot and pooped when we got home, so I guess that's a good sign. She's still very out of it, she seems like she has no idea whats going on. We tried to take the e-collar off, but she went right for the incision....she looks so miserable, I feel bad for her. Hope she's better tomorrow. I'm just glad to have her back :)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts