Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am already getting nervous for Wednesday. Bailey will be spayed, she's 6 1/2 months old and we will bring her to a place where they just do this. Our regular vet wanted to charge $400 so we decided to go to another place.

There it is $125 & $50 for recommended blood work. Did you do blood work when you spayed your dog at this young age?

How long did you wait to go for a walk after the spay and how far will she be able to walk. I heard it takes up to 10-14 days to be back to normal, is this correct?

Hope all goes well for her!

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
When Scout got spayed (she was about 6 months old also) I was very nervous but all went very well. They did do blood work before because that is just their normal procedures. They did keep her overnight which I think was very helpful. When we brought her home she was very tired for that weekend but then basically back to normal within a couple of days. They vet said she was not allowed to jump or run which was VERY difficult. She was ready to go within a couple of days. It was amazing how she jumped back. We did try to just go for very short walks just to go to the bathroom and then went for a long walk at the park about 14 days after the surgery. We had a countdown until the 14th day...Good luck to Bailey

·
lizandhector
158 Posts
Our baby Zoey got spayed today! The day started at 8AM... we took her to our vet and she had to stay there all day. They offered to keep her overnight, but we decided to bring her home rather than leave her there unattended in the overnight hours. We picked her up at about 6PM and she was still definitely feeling the affects of the pain medication/anesthesia.

At first I felt so bad for my poor baby, but I know it's for the best. The vet told us to limit her activity for 10 days. That means no running and trying not to go up stairs. They also instructed us to try to keep her away from licking/biting at her stiches... the vet said that if she was licking too much we could put on a t-shirt on her or if it got really bad we could make her wear an e-collar.

I guess its up to each individual person but i am really glad that Zoey came home tonight... I don't have to go to work this week so I will be with her most of the week. When Zoey came home she didn't have much of an appetite and she wasn't even thirsty. She had a couple of licks of water but thats about it. She immediately went to her bed and passed out. We have been with her most of the night and hope that she wakes up with a bit of an appetite in the morning. She will be on pain pills for about a week and we will be going back to the vet in 10 days to remove the stitches.

All in all it's for the best. I hope some of this info helps. Let us know how it goes. Here's a pic of our pooped out pup.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Good Luck to Bailey, I'm sure it will all go absolutely fine, try not to worry too much, though saying that Daisy is due in a few weeks time and we keep worrying about it every time we talk about it and get teary eyed, but we know it's for the best and we can't wait to get it all over with, I'm dreading it :-(

Let us know how it goes please :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks so much for your replies...I just dropped her off. She probably tought why are you waking me up so early and taking me away with the car...poor baby.

I can get her early in the afternoon.

She usually sleeps with us upstairs in our bedroom on her bed. Now how long do I have to wait to let her walk upstairs? Maybe I am sleeping downstairs on the couch next to her for the first night or so.
What did you do having stairs?
Did you also take an E-Collar to prevent the licking?

·
Registered
64 Posts
My husband slept downstairs with her for the first two nights, then she walked up the stairs slowly and slept on our floor for one night (actually didn't mind, I thought she would jump up). We have stairs that go up to our bed that she never uses anymore but we made sure she went up the stairs if she wanted to get on the bed from then on or else my husband would pick her up and put her on the bed for about a week and half, then we just couldn't stop the jumping. Scout was good without the e-collar until the end. As long as you keep an eye on her that she is not licking then she should be fine.

·
lizandhector
158 Posts
Zoey went up our stairs before we could stop her on the first night (we probably should have done a better job) But she went right up to her bed in our bedroom at about 8pm, as if to say "I've had it, I'm going to bed with or without you" We have lifted her onto our bed as well, so that she doesn't jump.

We did not take an E-collar and she has been fine so far, but we are only on day 2. The hardest part has been to keep her quiet and not too active. She really wants to play, run in the snow in the backyard and go for a walk. :( Poor baby, she doesn't understand why we are not entertaining her.

Good luck with Bailey, I am sure she will do just fine.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bailey is already home, she was the first one in the morning, so we could pick her up after lunch.

She barely could walk to her bed and is now sleeping - she's totally out. They said no stairs for several days so I will sleep with her downstairs for the next days.

Poor baby, I hope she will feel better very soon.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I'm glad to hear Bailey did fine with her surgery.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes, they gave Tramadol 50mg. She could walk outside and pee and poop but she seemed in pain when she pooped, but other than that she's just sleeping.
How long did you give the pain meds?

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
I gave them until they ran out...we may have had enough for maybe 5 to 7 days? I do not remember how long they ran. It's good that the vet gave you some medicine to help with the pain. I know they heal pretty quickly and it probably did hurt to poop. The first few days she will get a little better each day and then she'll make bigger leaps at what she wants/is able to do. I'm sorry that you both have to do through this - I know it's no fun for anyone. I hope she is feeling much better very soon!!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would give the pain pills as long as you have them. Glad that she is home and doing well. I think tomorrow she will be back to normal and you will have trouble keeping her down.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bailey is indeed doing a lot better today. Around 2 am she needed to go out potty and then got hungry so she finally ate. This morning she's still slower and less active but a huge different to yesterday.
We left the house for an hour and left her in the kitchen/dining room area (not in the crate as usual) with the E-Collar on. She doesn't like it, but I think it's safer that way. I also slept with her in a guest room downstairs and she had the E-Collar on as I probably wouldn't wake up if she started licking her scar.
I am glad she's doing so much better, although it was almost nice having a mellow dog for a day..:)
She already starte to climb up on th couch, but I will still sleep downstairs with her for another 1-2 nights. How long did you wait for your dog getting up the stairs? I mean just walking up the stairs not running.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hiya i am so glad Bailey is ok........we have a bailey too, he is 8 mths.
Must of been such a worry for you but nice now that she is home.

Take care,
Shannon

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi guys, sorry to jump in on the thread her but is this the normal age to get a bitch spayed?

I've heard different people saying various different things, some reckon it should never get done within the first year, others disagree.....we want our dog spayed but dunno when would be the best time for it. Appreciate any help you can give

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Our vets recommended 6 months of age and the doggy daycare she goes doesn't take any dogs over 6 months who aren't spayed or neutered.
So we decided to do it now

1 - 19 of 19 Posts