Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rookie was really limping because of snow/ice balls between his toes when we got back from the park today. I've already trimmed the hair between his toes. I know the product of choice seems to be Musher's Secret for this issue, and I am planning to order some. But in the meantime, do you think Bag Balm will work to keep him from forming ice balls between his toes? I have some in the house and it occurred to me that it might work.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it would be worth a try. I can't think of any harm it would cause.
That's what I was thinking. I know you can use it on their paws as a moisturizer or if they have abrasions. Can't think of any reason not to try it. I figure the worst that can happen is I get footprint marks on my floor. I'll put it on right before we go out, and I always wash off his paws when we come back in anyhow (because of road salt). I'll report back after I try it!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Well yea but it does make the hair on the paws greasy, and this if salt or something, hits like a magnet.
To get snow balls off paws, or my case more so inside the thigh or tummy, I just walk the dog into the tub, and with my sprayer, use the little warmer than room temp ( but not hot) water. Matter of a minute- snow balls gone..

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well yea but it does make the hair on the paws greasy, and this if salt or something, hits like a magnet.
To get snow balls off paws, or my case more so inside the thigh or tummy, I just walk the dog into the tub, and with my sprayer, use the little warmer than room temp ( but not hot) water. Matter of a minute- snow balls gone..
That's what I do when he comes back inside. But the problem is that as we walked from the park to the house, the snowballs between his toes made him very uncomfortable. He was limping. I'm hoping to avoid the snow/ice balls rather than just treat them when he gets home.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhhh poor baby.. I would say boots then. The snow is getting stuck due to heat from the body meeting with icy snow- a bit of a melt. then freeze..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts