Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I took Skippy to the vet today. He is four months old and received his first vaccine (my breeder recommended waiting and also spacing out the shots). All seemed well until a couple hours after we got home. He kept going outisde but only to lay on the porch or in the snow (its chill here in MA) so I thought ok maybe he has a little fever.

He seemed a little lethargic and not as playful I checked the vet packet again and this is "normal".

Then supper time rolled around and he wanted nothing to do with his food a whole later he picked at it. This boy LOVES his food.

Now he's panting pretty hard. He will snuggle with me but can't stay for long because he gets so hot. He won't let me out of his site and is a bit whiny.

Is all of this okay? When should I be concerned? I've been researching way too much info on the net and now I'm paranoid his throat will swell up or something. His face is not swollen and he iis not scratching anywhere. He is acting like spacey.

What can I do for him? I feel terrible he's going through this. I never want to vax him again :/

·
Registered
926 Posts
I think it's highly unlikely that the vet only gave a distemper vaccine.
It is most likely a combination vaccine. Please call your vet office in
the morning and find out exactly what the vaccine was for.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
I dont vaccinate mine because of this reaction except my guys is waaaay worse. Results in a $500 vet bill every time. So mine doesnt get them

Sounds like a reaction to me, many vets may just tell you its a coincidence though so you dont stop vaccinating. At least thats MY experience.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
My vet gives my boys a antihistamine before every vac . Call the emergency vet and ask them if that would be appropriate. I wouldn't think 1 benadryl would hurt him and would probably help.
Poor baby. Our Sasha was sore after his first vac.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it's highly unlikely that the vet only gave a distemper vaccine.
It is most likely a combination vaccine. Please call your vet office in
the morning and find out exactly what the vaccine was for.
If the vet gave my dog anything else BUT a distemper vaccine I will raise holy hell. I discussed at length the vaccine schedule I am comfortable with. Also, I was only charged for one vaccine and various other things its all listed clearly on my bill for reference. I will call in the morning to confirm though.

Thank you everyone for the info I am going to check out the link that was provided. I appreciate each of your replies.

For those of you who don't vaccinate are you within your city's ordinances? I assumed it was the law to vaccinate.

While on the subject anyone have experience with the lyme vaccine?

(Skippy is now sleeping next to me)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a site that I found with some side effects The Vaccine Side Effects and Risks That Can Occur When Immunizing Dogs and Cats.

Have you taken his temperature? I remember Bentley being really sleepy and not very hungry the first evening after vaccines. He was fine by the next morning though. If you think the reaction is unusual I would call the emergency vet.
I haven't taken his temp because I don't have a thermometer for dogs. I have a human digital one and I'm aware over 102.5 is considered a fever - is it a good idea to use the human therm?

·
We miss you Roo Roo!
158 Posts
Most often the "distemper" is a combination vaccine. It's only one shot, but covers distemper, parvovirus, hepatitis and parainfluenza. Sometimes leptospirosis. It is common for dogs to be a little sleepy after receiving the shot. The body is working hard to sort what was introduced.
If you feel your dog is more than just sleepy, get him to the vet.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
If the vet gave my dog anything else BUT a distemper vaccine I will raise holy hell. I discussed at length the vaccine schedule I am comfortable with. Also, I was only charged for one vaccine and various other things its all listed clearly on my bill for reference. I will call in the morning to confirm though.

Thank you everyone for the info I am going to check out the link that was provided. I appreciate each of your replies.

For those of you who don't vaccinate are you within your city's ordinances? I assumed it was the law to vaccinate.

Lyme also makes mine react. I know several dogs who are fine with the regular shots but reacted to Lyme. Lyme doesnt prevent lyme disease.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What?! It doesn't ? What is the purpose of the vaccine then?
Well.... that is the hope, but it's efficacy is questionable at best. Requirements for vaccinations can vary from state to state, and services you want to use. (Groomers and kennel facilities sometimes require extras.) The only one that is universally required in the US is rabies.

I highly recommend "Speaking for Spot". It's a book I wished I'd had when I first got a dog. Dr. Kay will help you formulate what your health care plan is for your pup. For instance, when she discusses vaccines, she gives you the best known information available about them. Her point is not to encourage or dissuade you from using any particular vaccine. She wants you to be an EDUCATED health care advocate for your dog. You decide the risk vs. benefit equation. It's well worth reading. This is the website, but the book can be purchased at any bookstore. Speaking for Spot: Dog Health Care Tips & Veterinary Advice | Home

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
I dont vaccinate mine because of this reaction except my guys is waaaay worse. Results in a $500 vet bill every time. So mine doesnt get them

Sounds like a reaction to me, many vets may just tell you its a coincidence though so you dont stop vaccinating. At least thats MY experience.
If you don't vaccinate your dog couldn't they get disease that will kill them if they caught it. Doesn't that make travel risky? Dog parks, groomers, training places, doggie daycare, etc. don't let dogs came where I live unless they are vaccinated.

Mine can't be licensed/registered with the town unless they have at least the rabies vaccine. How does this work in your area?

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts

Mine are all vaccinated for Lymes. Where I live is a high Lymes disease area.

Mine have never had a vaccine reaction. The vet did give them Benadryl the first time they got each vaccine. I also get mine combo. vaccinated- Not individual.

Good to hear your pup is doing better.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
I haven't taken his temp because I don't have a thermometer for dogs. I have a human digital one and I'm aware over 102.5 is considered a fever - is it a good idea to use the human therm?
All thermometers work the same. The thermometer goes in the bum. Make sure to hold on to it so it does not risk disappearing into your pup.

·
Registered
926 Posts
@Skippy03

Just wondering......Did you talk to the vet today to confirm that the vaccine was Distemper only ? As Attagirl and I mentioned the Distemper vaccine is normally a combo vaccine called "Distemper" . You would only be charged for 1 vaccine no matter what.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
What?! It doesn't ? What is the purpose of the vaccine then?
I think the vaccine is about 60-75% effective in preventing Lymes. There are different strains and mutations occurring.

It is similar to the human Flu or Pneumnia vaccine I think. Hope this makes sense.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts