Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Done
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well Ace on Wednesday was on out dock where a fishing pool was in a rod holder without his bad owner around. He got tangled in the line and pulled the whole setup out of the water and up to shore and happily ate the liver bait as I was walking out of the house. Well needless to say there was a hook in the liver. A rush trip to the vet and two x-rays later and $550 later the hook was removed along with 6 rocks that they saw in the x-rays. Bad Owner!

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Hey, had to re-read it...are you kicking yourself in the behind? Well, stop it....accidents do happen, and you were 'johnny-on-the-spot' to take care of Ace....and it's another lesson learned. We all go thru it.
Hugs to Ace...gentle ones

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Well shoot. things happen no matter what.
You got the problem taken care of immediately and found the unsuspected rocks as well.
I think that qualifies as a good owner.
I hope Ace is suffering no ill effects from his escapade.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Your not a bad dog owner....you took him to the vet, accidents happen....yummy liver!! By the way, cool x-rays!

·
16,000 Posts
Bad owner NOTHIN'!!!! Accidents happen. I'm glad he's okay. Or, should I say "I'm glad everything came out alright" ?! ;)

(No kicking yourself allowed...)

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
You are NOT a bad owner....as everyone says,..ACCIDENTS happen..thats why they are called accidents and they happen to all of us. You tok him to the vet...hope Ace gets to feeling better real soon.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Yikes scary stuff for you. I know I would have freaked when I realized my dog had eaten a hook.
I'm glad it all turned out ok in the end

·
Done
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yikes scary stuff for you. I know I would have freaked when I realized my dog had eaten a hook.
I'm glad it all turned out ok in the end
yup I did freak out. Had him to the vet in 10 minutes (broke a few speed laws) and they had him under and in surgery in 30 minutes. Looked funny with me running into the vets office carrying a 85 pound dog and a bobber with the line coming out of his mouth in the other hand.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Oh my. One of my greatest fears since I take Daisy fishing a lot. We've had a few close calls. Once she found a dead fish and I happened to notice a line coming out of it ... well, I knew there was a hook. Now, I'm not usually successful getting a fish away from Daisy but this time she KNEW I meant business LOL

Ace must have swallowed that liver whole, which was a good thing! That was some expensive liver. I'm glad he's okay :)

·
Done
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The vet said we could wait and see if it passed but iI knew it was a razor sharp stainless steel Gamatso hook and wasn't willing to take that chance. When they opened him up it was already stuck so I am glad I made the choice I did.

·
16,000 Posts
The vet said we could wait and see if it passed but iI knew it was a razor sharp stainless steel Gamatso hook and wasn't willing to take that chance. When they opened him up it was already stuck so I am glad I made the choice I did.

So, The Dogfather wants to know if you got the hook back... (nice hooks, he says... :bowl:)

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Well, at least the big one did not get away! So glad everything worked out okay, even if it was a little spendy, you did great getting him to the vet as soon as you did...GOOD OWNER EXAMPLE!!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Sounds like a typical golden moment and a good Dad that took excellent care of Ace. Geez, these dogs can get themselves into a lot of trouble in the wink of eye.

Wishing Ace a speedy recovery!

·
Done
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds like a typical golden moment and a good Dad that took excellent care of Ace. Geez, these dogs can get themselves into a lot of trouble in the wink of eye.

Wishing Ace a speedy recovery!
Yes they are quick. The hardest part is keeping him calm for 7 to 10 days.

·
16,000 Posts
Yes I did. The hook, 6" of monofilament, a sinker and 6 driveway stones.

He says "Cool. Nuthin' worse than losing tackle." (Here's where I biff him:slap: ) and he's just smart enough to say "I'm really glad the dog is okay!" (Good boy, Dogfather. Sheesh...)

·
i lub alda mi prens
1,083 Posts
**HUGS!!!*** I know that was terrifying!!! I'm glad everything is okay. Things happen for a reason. I'm sure if he hadn't eaten the hook, you may have had to deal with worse than just a quick in and out at the vet... Those rocks could have wound up as an obstuction and that's LOTS of money.

You did good. Spirit works oddly and I don't believe in coincidences :)

·
Done
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He says "Cool. Nuthin' worse than losing tackle." (Here's where I biff him:slap: ) and he's just smart enough to say "I'm really glad the dog is okay!" (Good boy, Dogfather. Sheesh...)
Dogfather is right! Almost Nothing wore than loosing good tackle. I almost sunk my boat in the Manistee river once trying to retrieve stupid $5 Hot-n-Tot. Got it though!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts