Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an email from my puppy's breeder saying that her dam had had her puppies but only had 2 females and I was third on the list for a female - so no puppy for me :( But she did say she just took back a 3 month old puppy whose family couldn't keep her due to family issues they were having. The breeder offered this puppy to me and I'm thinking I might go for it! The puppy has some training already and is at least partially house broken and has all her shots so though I won't get to experience a baby puppy(which I'm a little disappointed about), she will already have some basic training under her belt - which is a plus.

I had expressed interest in this puppy but I was concerned as I wasn't planning on bringing a puppy home until the end of January and had already made some Holiday traveling plans. The breeder said that the puppy could stay there until after the Holidays and that she actually wanted to work with the puppy some more on crate training and leash training which is wonderful.

Ok, you know I have questions (as always)...so is there anything specific I should be asking in this situation? So far health is good and the breeder said she hasn't noticed any bad habits yet and she seems very sweet and playful. And the puppy will be vet checked again and stool checked before I bring her home. Should I be able to ask for current vet records from the previous family's vet? Anything else I should ask for or check on? The dam and sire info is below. I'd appreciate any advie or opinions!

http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=243701

http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=270532

Thanks all!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
As long as the puppy is healthy and she gives the same puppy guarantee then I say go for it. As someone that has had puppies and grown dogs come into the home, I dont feel there is any difference in the love I have or bonding with them.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Is it possible for you to spend time with the puppy? Even if you aren't going to take the puppy after the holidays - if you can you should spend some time getting to know her/bond with her. It will make her transition to your home smoother and heck, she will be yours so start hanging around/loving her now!! Also you'll get to see first hand any behavior issues concerns.

·
Registered
16,394 Posts
Going to see the pup for yourself right now is a great suggestion. The pup's grampa Miles is such a beautiful dog.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
So the puppy will be about 4 1/2 months by the time you get her? You might want to search the threads and see what sort of things are going on with pups that age to see what you will be experiencing?

·
Registered
274 Posts
As long as the puppy is healthy and she gives the same puppy guarantee then I say go for it. As someone that has had puppies and grown dogs come into the home, I dont feel there is any difference in the love I have or bonding with them.
I agree with you, as long as you like the puppy and she is healthy, there should be nothing that will bother you.

·
aka Ali, Oscar's mom
493 Posts
That was definitely the best bad/good news I have read! :) Honestly Oscar is 4 1/2 months old right now, and he is better than ever... ALL THOSE puppy snuggles and kisses and soft puppy fur, with much LESS of the puppy breath (though it was CUTE sometimes!) and potty training issues and biting with razor sharp puppy teeth!!! (Okay though I am already missing some of that stuff... LOL am I crazy?)

Seriously it's seems like a great age to get a golden; enough of the PUPPY fix to get you by, plus they are old enough to drive you a little less crazy ;)

(I would agree about doing your research however; especially because in females she will be closer in age to her first heat, since you will be getting her a bit older... though I don't know much about that to be honest!)

Good luck & congrats if she ends up being your girl! :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! I am really thinking this puppy might be the one, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was forgetting to ask or look into. The breeder sent me the vet records and puppy seems healthy, though she has a bout with coccidia (sp?) when she first went to her other home, but breeder says everything seems fine now. She also said she seems very confident and not at all anxious and took to being back at her place like she hadn't missed a beat - which I think is a good sign!

I would love to be able to visit with her until I can bring her home, but the breeder is 6 hours away which makes it a little tough :(

Thanks for all your thoughts and advice it is so very appreciated!

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,002 Posts
I was in a very similar situation when we were getting our puppy. We were #8 on the waiting list and just after the ultrasound, the breeder called us to say it looks like there were only 5 or 6 puppies, so we would probably get bumped to the fall litter, OR, she had kept 2 boys back from her previous litter as she wanted to keep one for showing/potentially breeding down the line. They were 15 weeks old at the time, and I told her we would take a few days to think about it, because it was still April and we weren't planning to bring home a pup until early July. After talking it over, we decided to go for it, but we had asked her if she could hold on to him for an extra week or so while we got things ready for him.

My biggest hesitation was that I was a little sad that I had missed out on the early few weeks of his puppyhood, but as soon as I met him, it was destiny and I fell in love and that's where our fairy tale began! :) It was a bonus that he came home mostly housebroken, and knew quite a few commands already.

It took a little bit of adjusting financially, logistically with work/vacation and such, but it ended up being the best decision ever for us... Molson is really sweet, has an amazing personality, he's beautiful, smart and for the most part, well-behaved.
....and he is WAY cuter than the litter we were going to get (ok so I may be biased! ;))

Only you will know if you're ready to take a pup home earlier than expected, and it sounds like you're working with a great breeder who isn't pushing you into anything.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
esSJay~ I was a little sad about missing the real baby stage as well, but know that I've had some time to think about it I'm thinking its not such a bad thing Molson, Sadie is mostly housebroken and has some basic commands under her belt which I think is a huge plus!

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
You just do your homework for buying the older puppy the same as a new litter. It sound like you did that. You can take it to the vet and ask the previous owners vet for the records. I would visit and maybe the breeder would give you a little help with the leash work or training as if you were coming for lessons. Sure you may miss the itty bitty stage but once you get that wonderful pup home I don't think you will miss a thing. Sounds like it was ment to be!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
As adorable as baby puppies are, they are exhausting! I think most people would be just as happy in the long run to have a puppy that is just a little bit older.

Although if it were me, I wouldn't be able to wait to go meet the pup! Six hours isn't too far, so knowing me, I would probably drive over there one morning, spend the day with the pup, get a hotel room (possibly bring pup to hotel), spend the next day with her, and then drive home.

I can promise you that the only reason I didn't go meet Flip until I brought him home was because I'm in LA and he was in CT. If it would have been at all feasible to go visit sooner I absolutely would have!

The one down side to going to meet her sooner would be having to leave her behind! I know when I went to get my first dog, I went on a Sunday. I said I was just going to go pick a puppy out, but wouldn't actually bring her home until Thursday, so I could take a day off and have a long weekend with her. Well, that idea flew right out the window once I was surrounded by the litter. There was no way I wasn't going home with a puppy that night!

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Sounds like a wonderful situation for all involved. I am sure you will have no bonding issues and the pup will have half the basics down - although I am sure she will attempt to push even some of those. ;)

·
Registered
438 Posts
I love the puppy stage as far as how they look and how silly they are... but when you remember the long nights of whimpering and whining and the poop and pee on the carpet.. I MUCH rather have one a little older. Even at 3 months they still have the cute puppy face and these guys are ALWAYS silly.

Good luck, either way you go!!! So exciting :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts