Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I take him for a walk and he did what he did yesterday x10 and pulled like crazy to get to where he wanted to be and I had to drag his butt along the rest of the way home. I am not a big girl, he is a 49 lb ‘dog’. He has a harness, and used to walk like a dream, but soon will have a gentle leader.

But I think right now the biggie is the counter surfing. It's awful. He is SO obsessed with food, including his own, that I loose all control of him. So I hand fed him supper tonight for the first time. I don’t know that he was super happy with it, but shaped up right quick, and stopped barking and nicely waited for the next bit. So feeing smart I thought I would put the baby gate up to keep him out of the kitchen when I fed the boy’s supper. And… he jumped the gate. Nice. :\ So outside he went, which is what I have usually been doing. I have tried blocking his way, making him sit for treats, and stay a good distance away from the food all the while doing all the positive training ‘atta boy’ I can. But he still jumps on the counter and oh boy is he quick. He can get a hold of food so fast you have no chance. And it makes meals so not nice for the humans dealing with the insanity. So outside he has been going in the nice fenced in back yard.

The dog gets long walks (except today), up to 5 human playmates, lots of training and lots of attention. And I know he is just a baby still. But just looking for some advice on the outside in place of sticking to my guns for the dinner deal. When I am prepping I totally make him sit, stay and reward with treats and he does really well. But the real deal people eating and full flavor experience is just too much for his brain I think.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
For the walking/pulling I would strongly suggest a basic obedience class they are fun and offer some great socialization.

For the counter surfing I've had the best luck with lining the edge of the counter with empty cans and wait for him to knock them down and get a scare from the noise.

For the dinner time I would get a taller baby gate or just work on a rock solid sit/stay.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Oh, I applaud your restraint because all it took was for me to finish reading your post and then one look at his cute self and I was a goner!

Are you crate training? Perhaps you can put him in the crate while the humans have dinner. How about owning the kitchen. While prepping food prevent him from coming into the kitchen area and tell him to go lay down. Reward with treats for staying away and after everyone has eaten. Hopefully he will outgrow this behavior with some good direction from you.

·
Banned
42 Posts
He sure is adorable!

I agree about owning the kitchen. I had to do this with Luna...if she came into the kitchen, I would step in front of her and move forward, blocking her while saying "out" until she was past the doorway, then she got praise and treats after she had stayed out for a while. Now, all I have to do when she steps a single foot past the doorway is say "out" and she'll get out and lay down right outside the doorway. It takes a lot of work and patience, but it does work! Just keep working with him, and he'll probably outgrow the behavior...I know how frustrating it can be because those pups are quick, but don't give up!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So do those that own the kitchen have their crate, food and water somewhere else? His is all in there too. Granted the back 1/3 and there is a counter in between, but the counter is a bar and where the kids eat. And where they eat is on his side of the room. About 3 feet away from where he eats.

I was all about doing classes but we are 45 min away from a city and the trainer at that PetSmart was not nice. I know she needs to sell spots but telling me my dog is terrible and will be the worlds worst without her was not the way to sell me on her class. Especially when all he was doing was pulling because he had only been there once before and that place is like Chuck E Cheese is to a 3 year old already on a sugar high. But what I should do is see if anyone local will do one on ones. I know I don't know what I am doing, want to do good by him, and know if I fail I am in 95 lb monster dog trouble.

And thanks. He is very pretty. Sadly he knows this. :p As does every person he meets when he makes them stop, fuss and love him :p Or they get "the face".

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
There is no way that the pup in the picture is the same one you describe in your post. He is just too darned cute to behave badly. ;)

·
Banned
42 Posts
Aw, I love "the face"! How could you be mad at something as cute as that?! ;)

The people at PetSmart seem to find the new dog owners just so they can tell them how horrible their dog is. When we first got Luna, we had the same experience. She was just pulling on her leash and, yes, jumping, but she was still a pup. Nevertheless, they thought it important to tell us how horrible she is and how much she needs THEIR training to be a well-behaved dog. We obviously did not go with them, but found a wonderful trainer in the area. I would suggest finding one that focuses on positive reinforcement...it makes for a happier and more well-behaved pup.

I don't know if having his things in the kitchen would make a difference, but you can try moving all his stuff to a different area and see if that makes training easier. My thoughts would be that having his bed, food, and water there would make him think it's his area, but I don't know. Always worth a try!

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
This BTW is "the face".

This face is why I would make the worst puppy trainer in the world! I am such a sucker for sad puppy eyes.

Is it possible to try the suggestion of moving his crate elsewhere and only letting him in the kitchen when it is time for him to eat?

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
Does Marley need to be in the kitchen at all? Our dogs are not allowed in the kitchen at any time. The 2 younger ones were great counter surfers and when we moved to our new house, we agreed they would not be allowed there. You could try putting him in an exercise pen (with a kong or bone) away from the kitchen during meal times. He might fuss at first but he'll figure it out eventually. Meal times should be a non-stressful time for your family.

BTW....Marley is a gorgeous puppy and I get those looks all of the time too.....I just reminding myself that I need well behaved, respectful dogs!!!!!

Good luck with Marley!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts