Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I saw on facebook earlier today that someone got a puppy inquiry through text. The inquirer didn't even bother to identify themselves OR tell the breeder where they got the breeder's number from. Crazy times! I didn't even think people should have to be told not to contact people they don't know like that!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I does just boggle the mind people think that kind of message is acceptable. Have you always gotten messages like that, or is it more in the last several years? I'm wondering if it's this generation of people who have not learned acceptable communication skills.
In my profession, I'm "a dinosaur". :D But, I was taught "never send an email when you can make a phone call, never make a phone call when you can take a walk". Texts and twitter have set a "low bar" for "acceptable communication skills".

With the number of emails exchanged on a daily basis in a work environment, there is one form of "email short hand" that I often use. It's a Twitter-like response on the subject line, tagged with "[EOM]" (for "End of Message"). This makes it possible for the recipient to know they don't need to read the message body.

Then again, I reserve that for co-workers I exchange emails with on a regular basis, and would never send something like that as a "cold contact".

However, one thing I do that might seem "somewhat unacceptable" is that I'm fairly non-committal with personal information until I am certain that I'm okay with "the other person" having this information. This typically happens when I'm dealing with sales people, but...

·
Registered
301 Posts
We breeders are being inundated with puppy requests, so when you contact us, please try to at least be a human being. This morning I received the following email inquiry:
Take this for what it's worth. Breeders are buried in puppy requests these days. If you want to be considered, at least treat me like a human being who is placing precious lives, not a clerk filling widget orders, okay?
Just curious...

On other threads, there has been discussion about people not understanding the various "types" of breeders. Beyond that, the general public's lack of awareness about things like clearances, health backgrounds, GRCA CoE, etc., is reaffirmed on a regular basis.

In that context, how surprising is it that many people will not understand what they're getting into, or who they're dealing with, when inquiring about puppies from a hobby or preservation breeder? Not that this lack-of-awareness excuses poor manners, but my experience is that the definition of "poor manners" has changed significantly over the years. :(

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just curious...

On other threads, there has been discussion about people not understanding the various "types" of breeders. Beyond that, the general public's lack of awareness about things like clearances, health backgrounds, GRCA CoE, etc., is reaffirmed on a regular basis.

In that context, how surprising is it that many people will not understand what they're getting into, or who they're dealing with, when inquiring about puppies from a hobby or preservation breeder? Not that this lack-of-awareness excuses poor manners, but my experience is that the definition of "poor manners" has changed significantly over the years. :(
I think the general public has no concept of breeders and breeding, of breeding ethics, of health clearances, of hobby breeding or preservation breeding. They think breeders produce a product (Golden Retriever puppy), that Golden puppies are essentially fungible, and that breeders are in the business of selling puppies. So the whole thing is a perfunctory business transaction. I'm looking for a puppy, you have puppies, how much for one?

If you think of it that way, then the most important considerations to the buyer are price and availability. So, an email asking, "How much for a puppy?" is no different and no more/less offensive than calling Home Depot and asking, "How much for a box of 1.25" sheet metal screws?"

So it's not surprising at all.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you think of it that way, then the most important considerations to the buyer are price and availability. So, an email asking, "How much for a puppy?" is no different and no more/less offensive than calling Home Depot and asking, "How much for a box of 1.25" sheet metal screws?"
I think the most disturbing part of this observation is the amount of thought/care that a person is putting, or not putting, into their decision to add another life into their household. I "get it", dogs are not humans (then again, most humans can't hold a candle to "a good dog"). But, a dog (or cat, goldfish, bird, etc.) is a life that has no independent say in how well it is cared for. If I were a breeder, I'd be uber concerned about anyone who wanted one of "my puppies", yet displayed such a cavalier attitude about that puppy during the purchase experience. I'd have to "assume" that the attitude would carry forward into the post-purchase experience.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
If I were a breeder, I'd be uber concerned about anyone who wanted one of "my puppies", yet displayed such a cavalier attitude about that puppy during the purchase experience. I'd have to "assume" that the attitude would carry forward into the post-purchase experience.
Bingo.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts