Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pet peeve time! Hooray! LOL! :D

We breeders are being inundated with puppy requests, so when you contact us, please try to at least be a human being. This morning I received the following email inquiry:

When is your next breeding? How much are your dogs? What is the process?
Not even a hello. That could have been written by a bot. It has all the personality of a dead fish. And I have visions of this going out to every breeder the person can find. So, how do I answer this? I feel like answering in kind: "July 8th. $3,500. Fill out a questionnaire," or something like that.

I'm a person, not an order desk. You don't just order a puppy from me like you'd order roofing nails. Even though the potential buyer shows no respect for me as a person, I still write back with a nice email. (Theresa is not always so patient. :) ) But boy, this kind of email rubs me the wrong way, and I get one or two of these a day.

And while we're at it, if you ask for a puppy questionnaire after learning about our plans, please fill it out and return it or let me know that you've changed your mind. If you've taken this much of my time and have expressed enough interest to ask for a questionnaire, don't ghost me and leave me to wonder if you forgot, are blowing me off, or sent it and it didn't get to me. We care about each and every applicant. So if you ghost me on the questionnaire, I could just disregard you and figure you're not interested, but my instinct is to spend more time chasing you down and making sure we are giving you fair consideration.

Theresa and I are wading through a mountain of puppy inquiries right now, organizing them on a spreadsheet and scoring each one. Trust me, you don't want to get the score that the above people get. :)

Take this for what it's worth. Breeders are buried in puppy requests these days. If you want to be considered, at least treat me like a human being who is placing precious lives, not a clerk filling widget orders, okay?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Going into this post as a prospective puppy buyer made me nervous but I am glad my emails have been nothing close to that, lol 😂I do have to ask, is it annoying to reach out again if I didn't receive a response to an email inquiry? I emailed one breeder in particular who I have heard nothing but great things about on GRF to introduce myself and see what her plans were going forward, especially with all that's going on right now, before submitting a puppy application. I haven't heard back and it's been about a week - as you said, I'm sure everyone is overloaded with requests and I know these are crazy times so I mean that as no slight against her. I'm nervous maybe that since I didn't submit an application my email got overlooked when this is my top choice breeder.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
I got my worst one ever a few days ago. Literally, “Have some pups fs?“
Yep, that’s it. Could be bothered to say hello or even type the words ”for sale”.
🤦‍♀️
LOL!
I guess these people figure they are reaching out to so many breeders they can't be bothered to even do a copy paste of a decent inquiry...
I wish I DID have a pup to reward the man today who actually mentioned health. Of course, that wouldn't tell the mini-sentence people to do better.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I can't imagine fielding 50 requests a day where most people can't bother to spell out all the words!! You guys are saints (or drinking heavily to cope - I know I would be).

Hang in there! It's got to lighten up soon.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL isn't that the truth? OTOH- today I got an inquiry that actually asked about verifiable health certs. First one in months.
I don't get the volume you do. I get 10-15 per day, and Theresa gets more, but it's not close to the 50/day you said you get, thank goodness.

But I do get a significant number of inquiries that mention health clearances. And in my first email back to them I always mention clearances and send a copy of the test breeding, which of course has links to all clearances for generations going back as long as health tests have been done.

Even when they don't mention clearances, many of the inquiries are polite, friendly, and well-informed. Like this one I got about 1 minute before I started typing this response:

Hello Dana and Theresa: I hope this email finds you well during these unprecedented times. I am starting my search for a Golden puppy. I understand that you are being inundated with puppy requests at this time so I thank you for your time and attention. I was hoping my family could be added to your puppy list and you could keep us in mind the next time you are considering a litter. If a puppy questionnaire is appropriate at this time, I would be happy to fill one out. We want to do this the right way and understand that the process can take many months if not years. Again, thank you for your time and attention! Sincerely
Most of my inquiries are like that. Or like this one from this morning:

Hi Dana and Theresa,

I hope you are doing well & staying safe and healthy! I came across your site while looking into reputable golden retriever breeders in Southern California. My fiancée and I have been interested in a female golden retriever puppy as ____'s family has owned five dogs (three currently), including a half golden/half-lab mix in the past, and we are ready to welcome a puppy into our own home. Can you please let me know if you might have any upcoming litters this year? And, if so, would you be able to provide any information about those litters (dams/sires) or availability/waitlist?

I'm more than happy to speak over the phone if you prefer, please let me know.
Or this one:

Hi Dana and Theresa,

My name is _ and my husband and I are hoping to bring home our first puppy! I have dreamed of having a golden retriever for years but have always lived in an apartment with limited space for an active dog. However, we recently purchased our first home featuring a backyard area and park within walking distance and we will finally have the room a dog deserves! We are also both active ourselves and love running and walking outside, one of the reasons we think a golden retriever would be a good fit for us.

Additionally with the move, we will both be working from home almost all the time, and at least one of us should be home every day of the week to provide the care and attention a new puppy will need. I've been doing some research and your name came up often. We are hoping to expand our (human) family soon too and are looking for a happy, healthy dog that will be a part of our family for years to come!

We are not in any rush, we are more interested in finding a breeder who is a good match for us (and vice versa) and understand that breeding is a process that takes time. I really just wanted to reach out to get a conversation started and see what next steps might be and what other information you may be able to provide or may need from us. I hope to hear from you soon!
Thankfully, most people seem to be better at it than, "My name Ogg of Mountain Clan. Me want puppy. How much $." But the ones who are like that really stand no chance, I'm afraid.

·
Premium Member
18,028 Posts
I does just boggle the mind people think that kind of message is acceptable. Have you always gotten messages like that, or is it more in the last several years? I'm wondering if it's this generation of people who have not learned acceptable communication skills.

Are you considering adopters that would have to fly to get a puppy anymore? I don't even know if that will be possible for the foreseeable future.

·
Premium Member
16,403 Posts
I received one saying they would stop by to meet the goldens 6/1. What?! Our next litter is 2022. It's a pandemic. Just no.

·
Premium Member
18,028 Posts
I received one saying they would stop by to meet the goldens 6/1. What?! Our next litter is 2022. It's a pandemic. Just no.
Oh my gosh! You aren't a store where they can just show up! I'd be scared to have my address posted publicly with people saying they are just going to be by when they choose!

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
I don't get the volume you do. I get 10-15 per day, and Theresa gets more, but it's not close to the 50/day you said you get, thank goodness.

But I do get a significant number of inquiries that mention health clearances. And in my first email back to them I always mention clearances and send a copy of the test breeding, which of course has links to all clearances for generations going back as long as health tests have been done.

Even when they don't mention clearances, many of the inquiries are polite, friendly, and well-informed. Like this one I got about 1 minute before I started typing this response:
Maybe it is a FL thing- but in normal times, I get no where near the inquiries I am getting this last month or so.. I'm usually at 5-10 a day and that has steadily increased to these astounding numbers lately. Thank goodness for 'prewritten inquiry response letter'. People that write one liners I doubt would read the info I send back. I'd guess most of my normal times inquires are two sentences. Lately, that hasn't changed- most of them are one-two liners.. though LOL I spit my coffee out at 'puppies in stock' Archers Mom!
Yesterday I got only one inquiry that mentioned health.

I can't wait to see your babies Dana!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Interesting. You'd think that people who were serious enough about finding a quality puppy to seek out contacts of reputable breeders (with pricey dogs) would be serious enough to give background, ask questions etc. Why would you pay $2000+ for a puppy if you don't care about health clearances? There are plenty of inexpensive puppies that will be sold to pretty much anyone on websites like puppyfind. Personally, if I were serious about finding a reputable breeder, it'd strike me as a red flag if the breeder were okay with me not putting in any effort. Clearly, I've marked myself as being lazy or undedicated. If a breeder saw no issues sending a puppy to that home, are they really reputable?

Sorry, it's very late and I'm babbling. Point is, I find it odd.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
So, I didn’t expect it could really get more minimal. I recently received an email with the subject “Next litter” and that was it. Seriously no email body. I guess I won’t be surprised if I get a single word on like “puppy” or “Available”. Maybe it will just be a question mark. 🤦‍♀️

They all still get an 8 paragraph response (including a salutation and valediction) with several educational links, and infographic and a youtube video on health certifications. I am not going to be rude and maybe they just don’t know better. It is seriously exhausting and disappointing though. I will say if I had puppies, they would never be told if I have availability. There are too many high quality inquiries and referrals to put time in to finding out if they are nice but ignorant or genuine cavemen.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
I got one that said 'inquiry' in the subject line this morning. Nothing else. And a text this week that, when asked who it was, said 'someone who saw the website'... I may break my 'always reply' rule soon.

·
Puddles
3,684 Posts
Going into this post as a prospective puppy buyer made me nervous but I am glad my emails have been nothing close to that, lol 😂I do have to ask, is it annoying to reach out again if I didn't receive a response to an email inquiry? I emailed one breeder in particular who I have heard nothing but great things about on GRF to introduce myself and see what her plans were going forward, especially with all that's going on right now, before submitting a puppy application. I haven't heard back and it's been about a week - as you said, I'm sure everyone is overloaded with requests and I know these are crazy times so I mean that as no slight against her. I'm nervous maybe that since I didn't submit an application my email got overlooked when this is my top choice breeder.
I think Dana mentioned in an earlier post she likes to have a puppy inquire first. If this is the breeder you are really hoping to connect with, fill out the questions and then try and send an intro letter stating you have submitted the form to start off the conversation. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts