Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cheetos& Toffee Mom
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello dears,
Little "Toffee" 6 months now, has been diagnosed lately, to be having a fungal infection in her coat, its really bad, she has two spots in her face, one on the cheek and the other one is beside the eye :( and another big one in the inside of her thigh (this one usually bleeds:(
Her vet supscribed (lamisil spray, antifungus shampoo, and diflucan capsule weekly)

I tried the spray yesterday, its easy to use, but the problem is that she tries to lick it 0_o!!

Did anyone has encountered such a case before? Should I continue using this spray or..., knowing that her vet is terribly hard to b visited soon!!

Any advice is highly appreciated..

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
I don't have any experience with this kind of infections, but every time my girls have a procedure done where they can lick or upset sutures, I put a cone on them or a T Shirt that covers the area.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
You haven't said how often to use the spray, but if possible use it before feeding or before going out for a walk may be helpful as hopefully Toffee's mind would be on other things

Good luck

Reactions: Salma

·
Cheetos& Toffee Mom
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Inge, and Goldensmum, thank u for ur helpful replies, both are of a real great value.. :)

·
Premium Member
18,259 Posts
A cone would keep her from licking, maybe just put it on her until the spray dries.

Did the vet do a skin scraping? I would want to rule out mange too.

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
I've used diflucan personally on myself. It's an excellent drug that works quickly. It's been around a long time and is very effective. One dose should last for awhile in humans, not sure on dogs. Has she been on antibiotics recently? Antibiotics can cause fungal infections in humans, not sure in dogs, but I imagine so.

They do have soft cones and air inflated cones, so look around at stores to see what is available. Keeping her away from those areas is important. It's good that you can see the infection and that it's not internal. Fungal infections can come from chemo treatments. She isn't going through chemo also?

·
Fly free, my sweetheart
752 Posts
In case you ever run out of the vet recommended spray, etc. and it is nothing more serious than "hot spots," I have used cold tea bags (cheap black or green tea) to soothe the area, let it dry and then sprinkle with cornstarch. The real trick is to keep her from licking the areas, so as said earlier by others in this thread, use a cone or t-shirts to keep her from licking. The key is to keep the area dry so that fungus or bacteria cannot spread.

I have found that within a couple of days the problem goes away.

A good thing to do is research online about causes of hot-spots and holistic treatments for them. There are several good remedies mentioned in this forum.

·
Missing You Buzzy
712 Posts
Jack had many hot spots in his life. We found the only way they cleared with the spray etc was if we shaved the spots so they could stay dry. Then they wouldn't be as chronic. I know, a patchy pup is never ideal but it was the only thing that worked for us during summer months, especially. I guess yours are mostly on the face, so probably shaving in those areas isn't a fab idea. But if they ever happen elsewhere, that was what worked for him. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Guinness used to get lick granulomas occasionally. I used a steroid spray on it to help with healing. I would put it on the second before I out his food down for eating. By the time he was done, I think he forgot about the spray. Right before a walk, as suggested, would also work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts