Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! My lovely man is 7 months and two weeks old! He graduated from puppy class and was such a well behaved pup!! I took him to Florida over the holiday and could not believe how well he acted in every aspect. I was so happy to finally be home at the beginning of Jan to relax and get back into our routine. Well tragedy struck and my boyfriend was in a horrible car accident. So Brody and I went from out routine and everything fine to hotel rooms for two weeks! My boyfriend is doing much better but still won't be able to come home for a few months. Even though I've been home a lot more and my neighbors have been taking him out to play with their dogs a lot, I feel like everything he learned is no longer there. He jumps at everyone and bites people. I take him out side to run and play and he gets tired so I bring him inside and he still jumps and bites. I am so consistent with my commands and saying 'down' but I feel like I can say down a million times and he is not getting it. It's hard enough to not have my boyfriend around but I need to correct this on my own and am not sure what to do. Brody also has always had this cute habit to carry a toy around in his mouth when he was excited to see people. Just the other day he started to carry ANYTHING! He keeps taking shoes or clothes or pillows. Just anything he can find. I keep trying to correct it! I don't know why all of a sudden he just won't listen. :[:no:

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
He's a typical teenager (they all have butt-head moments at that age), he's stressed by the change in routine and is picking up on your stress.

Try to be patient with each other ... and employ some management to give you a break. Is he crate trained? If you need a little time where he's for sure not getting into trouble, consider using the crate. Give him a great chew bone and let him hunker down out of trouble for a while.

Also, try to remember the different training exercises you worked on in class and get back into training mode ... even just a few mins a couple times a day. It will help tire him out and help remind him of behaviors you like better than what he's choosing on his own right now.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Some of this is teenage stuff--he's ignoring what he knows you want him to do--and will resolve with time. I'm guessing some of it is him picking up on your unhappiness and anxiety. You may need to almost start from scratch, refreshing his training.

I'm sorry about your boyfriend. I hope he's home and well soon. Take care of yourself and your pup.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
So sorry to hear about your boyfriend, hope he recovers quickly! I bet your pup misses him. There's a lot going on your life ant the pup knows it,plus with him going through his rebellion stage..I know my pup went through the same thing, wouldn't listen started counter surfing and taking my kids stuff more..it does pass! Def keep working on training and I would do doggy timeouts if het gets too out of hand. He will learn that by being naughty means no more fun time! Good luck, it's just another stage you have to get through with patience an love!

·
Kristy
9,795 Posts
I am so sorry that you and your boyfriend have been going through such a scary rough time. I hope that getting back to routine a bit will help your pup... although I agree with the previous posters' excellent comments, some of it is just the age. Don't give in, keep being consistent, it will pass with time.... Hang in there :)

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I am sorry that your boyfriend was in an accident and I hope his recovery is speedy.

As far asBody carrying anything around have some toys stashed around the house in easy reach and when he is carrying something you dont want him too switch for somethng he can have and then praise him for being a good boy. My Jige carries our shoes around all the time and I dont mind it at all but I realize some poeple would care for it.

Then through out the day practice some obedeince commands. It doesnt have to be any formal type of training. Just as you are working in the kitchen have him do some sit and downs. Slip his leash on him and practice come for and finish. I bet even if you do this 5 6x a day for even just 5 minutes at a time you will see an approvement in him. Good luck.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about your boyfriend. Hope he recovers quickly. A lot sounds like teenage stuff which just means go back to the basics as I have been told.

There is a thread I started this weekend in the puppy section titled "Parents of teenage pups". It is basically a place to go and vent your frustrations with what they are doing now...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone! All great comments! It's so crazy how he just switched over night! He honestly never pulled once on his leash until the day after I had him fixed, it was over night! I don't mind him carrying shoes or anything around because it's so darn cute, but when company comes they seem to mind. Ha. I guess I didn't realize he's a teenager! I will go back to the basics and work a little every day. Thanks again. Oh and does anyone have any good ways to train him not to jump up on people? When Brody's daddy finally gets to come up, the last thing we can have is Brody knocking him down :] Thanks for all the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts