Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last summer we had new neighbors move in and they have BAD dogs! I have talked to them 3 times now and once her fixed one board. He's been VERY nice the last two times I have spoken to him and even admitted his dogs did this when he lived in Spokane.

They keep Jazz riled up and she jumps on the fence barking back but their dog is literally tearing the boards off our fence. He does this till his mouths bleeds and he doesn't stop.

Since I am home all day, I am able to let them out, keep an eye on them and get them back in, but once I go back to work, we leave the dog door open for them to go in and out at will and with what we have going on now, I won't be able to do that.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
I hate bad dog neighbors. Can you take pictures while the neighbor dogs are ripping your fence apart, so at least you can keep a record of what it looks like now and what they are doing? Just in case you want to take actions in the furture to have them fix more of the fence. I wouldn't feel safe with my dogs out there either. Love your new picture by the way :)

I did not see the video when I first looked at this post...that dog is really eating your fence!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Have you tried spraying the dog with something nasty when it's chewing up your fence? I would be seriously P****d and reporting them to somebody. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
18,635 Posts
Oh my gosh, that's unbelievable! You may end up having to run wire fencing along that side or your wood fence to keep that dog out!

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I would put the camera on a tripod, so they can't say you were provoking the dog or anything, record the same thing and then let the neighbors know you are going to repair the fence and send them the bill. Show them the video too.

It sounds like his dogs could use some training and runs to burn off their energy too. A barking collar would do wonders for this dog too, usually getting buzzed for barking calms them down instantly (and without a lot of effort from the owner which might be the easiest option).

In the meantime don't let your dogs out to create more of a problem... maybe you and the neighbor can work out some sort of schedule so the dogs aren't out at the same time?

Lana

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Good grief! I'm sorry you have to live with this. You and your dogs can't even enjoy your yard.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
That would make me crazy! I can't even understand how they can let their dog act that way. Your dogs scratch on the fence or else I would have suggested an electric wire that would zap him. I normally don't advocate any electric type of training, but he sounds like he wants to hurt your dogs!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
That is terrible and very scary. Not only is that dog destroying your fence he is putting himself at risk by chewing and possibly swallowing the wood particles and splinters. Our first golden liked to chew on sticks--it stopped when some of the chips ended up giving him some bloody poops due to scratching his anus up as they went out.

I like some of the ideas mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The ONLY reason mine scratch on the fence is reacting to them when they start beating it down.

I am not opposed to put up the electric wire if it means keeping mine off the fence as well but how would I put it up to keep them out?

I've tried bitter apple spray on the fence, that was of course a joke.

Camera on tripod a good idea, however they only go nuts when me or one of my dogs gets within 5 foot of MY fenceline. I can try it though.

They keep their dogs shut outside all day while they are at work so hard to do a schedule. Yes, they have food and shelter. :) And when they are home, I was walking by one evening in front, their dogs are crashed out on the couch just as sweet as can be.

And yes, I keep mine in ALL the time now other than potty breaks which has affected Jules since he is a grass eater, now he doesn't get his fiber and guess who is stinky pooey.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Oh MJ I feel for you guys!!! Our wonderful neighbors are trying to sell their house in the coming year and I am very nervous about who might move in- their house it extremely close to ours and we share a new good neighbor fence. They have a large terrier rescue and since they can see each other the dogs run up and down and growl- sometimes it's Sienna, sometimes it's their dog. I hope our new neighbors are dog lovers at least.

You've already had the best suggestions from other posters. I would definitely suggest the no bark collar and have him install some sort of wire barrier on his side... hopefully the dog wouldn't get stuck chewing it though. Maybe making it so the dog cannot see through the fence to your yard?

Definitely let them know you want the fence repaired. Obviously he knows how upset you are about it- has he said he will take any action to help the situation???

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
That's not only terrible for your fence, but it's frightening. What if heaven forbid- you went back inside for just one second and the nasty neighbor dog came through the fence? What could happen in such a short time to Jazz and Jules? I wouldn't even want to think about it. Is there a way that you can cover the holes this dog has made so he atleast can't see J&J while they're out? I'd be sending them a bill for repairs...they would have pushed my "friendly neighbor" limits at this point.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He has talked about putting a chain link fence on his side, which is fine with me, he just needs to fix my fence first, yanno?

I'lll get photos tomorrow of what we have already had to do to our side. It looks like trash, I just hate it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts