Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past week and a half or so Ada seems to have picked up a new bad behavior that only occurs at the dog park (for the most part...also happens if she's full of energy, but not as frequently).

A couple of times during our walk around the park she'll stop playing with the other dogs, run over to me and start jumping at me and biting my coat/gloves. Most of the time she won't listen to leave it or sit and I'm at a loss of what to do. Our trainer said to stop them from jumping grab their paws when they jump until they calm down and that works occasionally, but most of the time she just goes until she doesn't want to go anymore.

Any idea why she would do this? It happens even after being at the park a while so it isn't like she still has excess energy. I was thinking maybe she's saying she doesn't want to be there because it's cold or something...but she always looks like she's having a blast with the other dogs so idk. Maybe she's just overstimulated and freaks out?

It's rather frustrating, she would get all mouthy and jumpy like when she was younger (3 months instead of 5, lol) but had stopped it until recently.

any idea's what might be the cause of it? or tips on how to deal with it? I'm thinking we wont be going to the park for a couple of weeks...maybe work more on being calm and walking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 6 month old started doing that outside - I realized it had to do with me wearing a scarf and/or wool gloves. She wants to either get them (to play with?) or maybe wonders what they are...?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mine does the same - usually results in him getting my scarf in his mouth and tugging on it. I tell him to stop it, if he doesn't listen I turn around and walk off. He hates being ignored!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Ozzy does that sometimes when he's frustrated and wants something from me. He used to do it more when he was closer to Ada's age. He still does it at the bus stop in the morning after the kids leave and I'm talking and he wants me to give him a walk.

Once he did it at the end of a training class so it was the perfect time to ask my trainer what to do. Her advice was to totally ignore it so I wasn't rewarding him in anyway. It worked...after a few minutes he got bored and stopped but I'm not sure that's something I could do in public. I mean, I'm not going to let my dog stand there and jump on me and bite at me while people look at us like we're crazy.

One thing you might want to try is to have a few treats and when she comes close to me and looks like the behavior might start ask her to sit and give her a treat. Basically try to stop and redirect the behavior.

Aren't the teenage months fun?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Ozzy'smom

That's the worst part, its embarassing that she's doing it in public and i cant stop her =\. The treats idea is good, i'll bring some next time to try and distract her. And I'll do an experiment with my gloves to see if thats what sets her off like FaleneS suggested might be the cause.

Thanks all!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,068 Posts

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
@Ozzy'smom

That's the worst part, its embarassing that she's doing it in public and i cant stop her =\. The treats idea is good, i'll bring some next time to try and distract her. And I'll do an experiment with my gloves to see if thats what sets her off like FaleneS suggested might be the cause.

Thanks all!
We sometimes worry a little 'too much' about what other people think when we are out with our furbabies. When I started teaching loose leash walking to my pup, it was walk two steps and stop, repeat, repeat, repeat. People must have really wondered what the heck I was doing. But the end result was I have a dog that walks real well on leash! Don't worry what 'they' think, you are trying to do what is best for your dog(train her)!
Taking treats to the dogpark is not a real good idea, unfortunately - especially if there are more than a couple of dogs, you might get more attention than you can handle - most dogs can smell a treat at a fair distance, and some dogs get pushy and 'growly' around food.
I would stay away from the dogpark for a bit, work on her 'antics' at home where you can concentrate and practice what you are going to do with her (turn around and ignore or walk away) when she does jump up.(Holding their feet when they jump up is still giving them attention for jumping.) Then you can take it to the dogpark, because even if she stops it at home, out there is a new ballgame.

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Another Comment on Treats

Just to second the post on not using treats at dog parks. The other day I was using treats to reinforce Maisie on waiting in a sit at the exit to the park. We were in the fenced exit area. I already had her slip collar and leash on, she was sitting next to me, I was praising her and reaching down with a training treat or two. Whoosh! A Rhodesian Ridgeback -- a nice dog, but huge -- was on me with his paws on my chest. He had his snout in my chest pocket where I keep my treat bag and his growling voice was going full blast. I'm still not sure where he came from, but I won't do that again.

·
Apollo & Knightley's mum!
279 Posts
I would suggest as *soon* as Ada starts that routine, it's time to leave. No more dog fun for her if she is going to be silly like that. I'd clip her leash on immediately and start taking her out. Spend a couple of minutes outside the dog park, then go back in. One would think that would get your message across quite well. If she continued I'd just go home!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I know Annie gets "cranky" and acts up when she is tired. She gets a little snarky, plays in the water bowls, and jumps on people. This is my cue that it is time to leave the dog park, and head home for a nap.

·
Chelsea
842 Posts
Sadie will do that if she has to go to the bathroom. If she starts getting all crazy like that i'll as her if she has to go pee and everytime she runs to the door.
She'll also do it if she is hungry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts