Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm new here but at my wits' end.

We have a "lovely" 4 month old pup. Most of the time she is brilliant. However, EVERY morning at 6.30 AM she starts barking constantly. No chance of a lie in for a tired Postman!

Any suggestions how I stop her barking like this?

Also, when I take her out for a walk, she insists on doing HER thing. If she won't go where I want, she simply sits down and refuses to move.

She also goes out in the back garden for a run around then comes in the house & pees on the floor.

PLEASE help - I honestly don't know what to do next.

Many thanks,

Rob.

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
what time does she goes down for the night?
Might want to keep her up later so she'll sleep later

Remember that she's still very much a baby. At four months old, you couldn't even sit up by yourself. Don't expect too much from her. She's so fascinated by all the smells and stuff outside, of course she's going every which way but the way you wnat to go.

Peeing inside - what are you using to clean up the mess? Get something like Nature's Miracle.

·
Kate
22,464 Posts
When she wakes up in the morning - take her out for potty. On leash. Teach her to just go on command. Her barking is probably her telling you it's potty time and time to eat. Dogs generally operate on routine - and it takes time to change their routines.

My dogs' sleeping routine is about 10PM until 8-9AM (or whenever I get up in the morning). When they were puppies - they had potty outings in the middle of the night and were fed early in the morning. But they generally had a routine where after they fed and were pottied - they were put back in my bedroom to sleep until mid or late morning. Routines are very easy when you think them out and stick to them.

You can bring her in your bedroom (after she's been taken out for potty). You go back to sleep and teach her to go back to sleep or settle.

Dogs are monkey see monkey do when it comes to their pack. If they see you sleeping, they will sleep too.

I was sick the other day and both of my goldens stayed with me the entire day. They weren't fed breakfast until 2 or 3 in the afternoon (because I was too sick to go near the kitchen or smell dog food without throwing up). My sweet babies actually curled up in my bed with me and slept.

Yes, they woke up at their usual time and wanted breakfast, but since they saw me sleeping - they knew to go back to sleep.

When she's been outside playing (or inside playing) put her on leash and walk her to a potty spot and tell her to go potty. Having a particular spot that she goes all the time will help with the potty training. When you know she's going to have to go potty - put her on leash and make sure she goes outside.

Walks - she might be telling you that the walk is too long for her right now. Don't force it right now.

·
Registered
13,408 Posts
Agree that her outs should be on leash only. Out for five minutes - no playing until she does her business. If she doesn't go, back inside. Try again 20-30 minutes later.

If she is sleeping through the night and waking at 6:30am that is pretty great for a 4 month old! You can always try taking her out, then putting her back in the crate and going back to bed, see if she'll resettle. But it takes some time to move them onto your schedule. My pup woke at about 5:30am when she first came home... and over the next several months, I slowly moved her onto my schedule which is to get up at 8am. Now, she'll sleep til I get up.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Now is the time to really heat up on the training. How did you leash train her? I used/use treats and positively reinforce when she is doing the right thing. Elsa, (19 weeks), has become really head strong on pulling recently, so I have made the move to a training harness. There is some good info out there on how to make, You, the dog's focus on a walk. And I, like the others said, took my dog on a leash to go potty, and separate walking and doing her business.

Elsa still thinks wake up time is 7 AM, argh. If she wakes me up any time before that, I will take her potty, (Again on the leash. It is quick and we are back in the house.) and she goes back in the crate, and I back to bed. I give her a large bone she can chew. Sometimes I can go back to sleep, sometimes I can't. A few times my husband has got up with her, and then put her on the bed with me, then she sleeps about another hour.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts