Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved into this house in November. The backyard has a 4 foot wire fence with 40 year old cedars/pine trees along the sides and back. I don’t feel that the fence is very secure because of the size/age and I planned on replacing this spring. I found out this winter that the house needs a new roof and that will eat up all of my budget for a fence. Next spring is when I can afford to put in a new wooden fence.

I am always outside with the dogs in the back yard but my rescue has managed to jump over the fence and find a small hole to squeeze herself through a couple of times since I’ve got her (shes Houdini I swear!). I managed to block the holes and she is mostly on a tie out just to be safe (unless the dogs are playing with each other). Chloe has no interest in getting out of the fence. One of my neighbours in the back has a wooden fence that attaches to my property by about 10 feet. I’m not sure how but 4 wooden panels of the fence have fallen in on my side and there is now a large hole for the dogs to escape. I plan on nailing them back into place today but I am very unsure of the security of the backyard. The dogs love to run and play and I would hate to have them on tie outs only. Does anyone have any ideas/solutions for keeping the backyard a safe play zone for the dogs?

Attachments

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
If the fence posts are sturdy, you can buy a roll of fence wire and make wire 'twistie ties' to hold it to the posts. You can add it in addition to the fence that is already there, which would help it to stand up. If your existing fence is wood, you can staple the wire to that.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your ideas! ive never use an e-collar or the invisible fence before but I am doing some research on them. So far, I think that will be the best "bandaid" fix until I can put in a sturdy fence in the spring.

I think the posts are not tall enough to add more wire to the fence, i think it would lean over.

For the next couple of days the girls will have to be on their long leashes with supervision until I can put something in action.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Ask for an insurance claims adjuster to inspect your roof. If there is any sort of hail damage, you might get a break on the roof replacement, depending on your policy terms and conditions. That might save you enough to get that new fence. We replaced our 19 year old roof last summer (due to a hail storm causing a lot of damage) and we just got our brand new wood fence in yesterday (not covered by insurance).

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
You could also try a hot wire, like for cattle. The dogs don't wear a collar for it.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ask for an insurance claims adjuster to inspect your roof. If there is any sort of hail damage, you might get a break on the roof replacement, depending on your policy terms and conditions. That might save you enough to get that new fence. We replaced our 19 year old roof last summer (due to a hail storm causing a lot of damage) and we just got our brand new wood fence in yesterday (not covered by insurance).
really?! i would have never thought to go thought my insurance for a roof. now the roof is really old but i didnt realise how bad it was until this winter. doesnt hurt to try! thank you for the idea

hope you are enjoying your new fence :)

You could also try a hot wire, like for cattle. The dogs don't wear a collar for it.
that an interesting idea. i live in a subdivision so id have to make sure my neighbours were ok with that (i think at least, im a first time home owner)

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
The hot wire would run inside your fence line, it would not affect your neighbors at all, it doesn't touch your neighbors property or the fence and is entirely inside your property.. It is usually installed on posts in the ground just inside your fence line, the idea is if the dogs touch it they get a little shock, and would know not to approach the fence line. I have seen dogs learn they can run the fence barking at the neighbor dogs but give themselves just inches from the hot wire. Check with your local feed store for the materials and the power supply box.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
really?! i would have never thought to go thought my insurance for a roof. now the roof is really old but i didnt realise how bad it was until this winter. doesnt hurt to try! thank you for the idea

hope you are enjoying your new fence :)

that an interesting idea. i live in a subdivision so id have to make sure my neighbours were ok with that (i think at least, im a first time home owner)
I just noticed you are in Canada--I'm not familiar with how Canadian insurance companies operate regarding hail damage--but here it just seems we pay an arm and a leg year after year in premiums, then when our roofs get older and need replacing, we get a hail storm that confirms it, and insurance pays for replacement cost minus the deductible on the policy. My husband and I joke that our premiums are just a savings plan for the new roof in the future. It seems almost everyone in my neighborhood got a new roof last year.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just noticed you are in Canada--I'm not familiar with how Canadian insurance companies operate regarding hail damage--but here it just seems we pay an arm and a leg year after year in premiums, then when our roofs get older and need replacing, we get a hail storm that confirms it, and insurance pays for replacement cost minus the deductible on the policy. My husband and I joke that our premiums are just a savings plan for the new roof in the future. It seems almost everyone in my neighborhood got a new roof last year.
I looked into and no such luck, its not part of our insuance plans. Thank you for the suggestion!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts