Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So I know this is a hot topic but I have to get this out. We own a beautiful field bred golden who came from a back yard breeder in MD. We went the BY route before we became educated on the breed through this forum. Based on all the information I have reviewed over the last 18 mos., we decided to add another golden to our family. Therein lies the issue. No reputable breeders in PA based on info from this forum have responded. I filled out multiple puppy questionnaires last year. One response received, I followed up in Jan but no response since. We are both retired and know what it takes to raise a golden retriever pup. We are young retirees and energetic. We have a large fenced in backyard, our field golden is well socialized and formally trained and we would do the same with a new pup. I understand why folks go the BY Breeder route. This is frustrating, any insight is appreciated. I expected it to take a year, but lately feeling like I’m being discriminated against but not sure why.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Do you want to share what you're saying when you email them?
Maybe it has something to do with that- or it may just be that your email hit them at a bad time, and if it is a high request time of year in your area, it could be that the email just got buried. If you really like one or more of them, email again! And say you were so interested you couldn't wait on them to reply (not get around replying though you may feel that way)...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you want to share what you're saying when you email them?
Maybe it has something to do with that- or it may just be that your email hit them at a bad time, and if it is a high request time of year in your area, it could be that the email just got buried. If you really like one or more of them, email again! And say you were so interested you couldn't wait on them to reply (not get around replying though you may feel that way)...
Don’t think my email follow ups would put off any breeder. I simply asked if I was still being considered.
I also added I’m a forum member and they could review my posts if they weren’t sure of motives for a second golden. I don’t want to call out breeders who were non responsive. Just a bit frustrated.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
So, I could imagine an email from you that'd go something like,
Hi,
I am interested in your breeding program, my husband and I are hoping to add another member to our family- we have a X YO Golden we got before we understood the importance of clearances, etc, and we love him very much.. but as we start to think about adding another we want to go the 'reputable breeder' route.
etc etc etc.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
I am interested in your breeding program, my husband and I are hoping to add another member to our family- we have a X YO Golden we got before we understood the importance of clearances, etc, and we love him very much.. but as we start to think about adding another we want to go the 'reputable breeder' route.
etc etc etc.
Hi,
etc etc etc.
The puppy questionnaires actually ask questions that are appropriate and cover much of what you express in your sample email. I expressed our desire in the questionnaire and answered all questions honestly And expressed nothing but love for the breed and love for our current golden. Other than that I can add no more.

·
Kate
20,700 Posts
Therein lies the issue. No reputable breeders in PA based on info from this forum have responded.
Crazy question, did you just inquire with people listed on this forum.... or did you check with the various golden retriever clubs in your area? PA is kinda smack dab in the middle of things and you should be able to locate a puppy easily through the breed clubs at the various neighboring states.

Other thing is don't just spam email - call.

And while there is no major benefit to attending small breed shows in hopes of meeting local breeders, there is a benefit to doing road trips to bigger shows and meeting breeders face to face and exchanging contact information. There's a big show in Columbus OH in April. This is a golden specialty. It should draw a lot of active OH breeders + some PA breeders as well. <= Assuming you are just looking for a family pet and style doesn't matter.

Obviously if you want a field bred golden - there will be obedience trials at the same big specialty in April that you could go to, sit down and chat with golden people, and see what is out there.

Sometimes it seems like people feel like they have to write a whole essay to impress the teacher.... I mean breeder. :) But I can't say I ever had to jump those hoops when looking for a puppy. Typically timing is the main issue - with people inquiring when the breeders do not have anything available. One breeder from PA who I know gets a TON of inquiries through this forum was recently asking around trying to get ideas for who might have pups available to forward people, because she didn't have pups available.

Go through word of mouth or friends you know who have really nice dogs from good breeders. Sometimes that helps. About a year ago one of my friends desperately wanted a puppy and I knew she was unlikely to get one from Glee's litter, so I reached out to friends and literally she had her choice between 3 litters right away.

Other thing is that before anyone could jump in and turn this into a snob breeders vs family farm breeders thing... I don't think it's worth digging into all that.

As a puppy buyer - you should be able to purchase a puppy whose parents have full clearances and look like golden retrievers. And as a puppy buyer, you should be able to bring home a gorgeous pup who no doubts about it is absolutely a purebred golden retriever. And as a puppy buyer, you should always have access to your pup's breeder. Among else, that breeder should be there to support you if anything goes wrong. If you need advice, you should be able to turn to the breeder.

I will say as well - ideal world, your breeder is somebody who is active in one or more sports with their dogs. Among else, this means down the road when you want a dog again you aren't up a creek without paddle trying to find your breeder again or somebody who is breeding very similar lines or relatives of your dog.

I know there's people out there who put more value on titles and stacking titles than they do about building a strong healthy program with what they breed, including producing beautiful well-tempered and very typey dogs. That's pretty sad... and something to be wary of.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crazy question, did you just inquire with people listed on this forum.... or did you check with the various golden retriever clubs in your area? PA is kinda smack dab in the middle of things and you should be able to locate a puppy easily through the breed clubs at the various neighboring states.

Other thing is don't just spam email - call.

And while there is no major benefit to attending small breed shows in hopes of meeting local breeders, there is a benefit to doing road trips to bigger shows and meeting breeders face to face and exchanging contact information. There's a big show in Columbus OH in April. This is a golden specialty. It should draw a lot of active OH breeders + some PA breeders as well. <= Assuming you are just looking for a family pet and style doesn't matter.

Obviously if you want a field bred golden - there will be obedience trials at the same big specialty in April that you could go to, sit down and chat with golden people, and see what is out there.

Sometimes it seems like people feel like they have to write a whole essay to impress the teacher.... I mean breeder. :) But I can't say I ever had to jump those hoops when looking for a puppy. Typically timing is the main issue - with people inquiring when the breeders do not have anything available. One breeder from PA who I know gets a TON of inquiries through this forum was recently asking around trying to get ideas for who might have pups available to forward people, because she didn't have pups available.

Go through word of mouth or friends you know who have really nice dogs from good breeders. Sometimes that helps. About a year ago one of my friends desperately wanted a puppy and I knew she was unlikely to get one from Glee's litter, so I reached out to friends and literally she had her choice between 3 litters right away.

Other thing is that before anyone could jump in and turn this into a snob breeders vs family farm breeders thing... I don't think it's worth digging into all that.

As a puppy buyer - you should be able to purchase a puppy whose parents have full clearances and look like golden retrievers. And as a puppy buyer, you should be able to bring home a gorgeous pup who no doubts about it is absolutely a purebred golden retriever. And as a puppy buyer, you should always have access to your pup's breeder. Among else, that breeder should be there to support you if anything goes wrong. If you need advice, you should be able to turn to the breeder.

I will say as well - ideal world, your breeder is somebody who is active in one or more sports with their dogs. Among else, this means down the road when you want a dog again you aren't up a creek without paddle trying to find your breeder again or somebody who is breeding very similar lines or relatives of your dog.

I know there's people out there who put more value on titles and stacking titles than they do about building a strong healthy program with what they breed, including producing beautiful well-tempered and very typey dogs. That's pretty sad... and something to be wary of.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the helpful suggestions. The breeders I reached out to were those mentioned here on the forum. I am expanding my search to neighboring states, hoping I have more luck with responsible breeders elsewhere. We are not planning on competing , just wanted another companion Golden. Honestly I have not considered attending shows to meet breeders, but it’s not out of the question.
We have had so much fun with our current boy. He is more than we could have ever hoped for. Does anything we ask him to do and with enthusiasm. This is by far the breed for us. We got very lucky with him. I know I’ll find a good breeder eventually. Just needed to vent.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Autumn Lake Golden Retrievers in VA ( I have reached out to to them about 2 weeks ago) are planning several liters this spring. They are accepting puppy questionnaires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts