Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pilot has been AMAZING. Finally potty trained and let us know every single time when he has to pee by loudly whining at the door or ringing the bell. I don't know what's going on but these past 3 days suddenly he's peeing all over the **** place! Just now he took a huge pee right next to me and proceeded to make a pee line through our entire apartment!! Yesterday it was the same thing! Suddenly he isn't telling us! I know that I need to backtrack training it would seem even though he's been brilliant about it so far but I want to know why on earth would this be happening? If he has to go this bad he has always told us. =( Help!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Could he have a UTI or something medical that prevents him from holding it like he normally would? Or maybe the extra hustle and bustle of the holidays has him too excited to remember? Jackson had a few slipups on Christmas Eve from the excitement, but he's figured things out again. I'd say if it doesn't get better in a day or so, with some extra diligence in taking him out more like when he was younger, then maybe check for a medical reason?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He doesn't have any discomfort that I can see and is peeing a good amount each time so I don't know if that's it.. There isn't really a bustle as my husband and I spent it at home and did what we do on a regular day. I hope it stops soon..

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
I would have him checked for a UTI.

But, I can usually count on a period of time around 6 months when it appears house breaking has been broken - after a 'What WERE you thinking' as they as unceremoniously carried outside and not so gently placed on their potty place (not roughly just not gently); it usually doesn't happen again ;0 well unless they have a physical problem.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
A dog does not always show discomfort with a uti - often a dog has to be in severe pain to show any signs at all. My girl went thru several uti's as a pup and never really showed signs of pain - just frequent peeing inside the house and out- ranging from 'normal'puddles to just a dribble. It is always a good idea to get them checked out if there is a regression in housetraining.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
First I would make sure it isn't a UTI.

I was going to say the same as Sunrise. If you don't feel it is a UTI, then chalk it up to the crazy 6+ month old things.

It might be many things, Holiday, different routine, or absolutely nothing, but just go back to the basics every 30-40 min outside potty, treat if he goes, clean it up and forget it if he goes in the house but use a neutralizer on the spot so he doesn't pick that place again. Bet you find he will straighten out quickly.

·
Registered
639 Posts
My last Golden would have odd accidents when she had a UTI. Call your vet and ask if you can bring in a sample to be tested.

A month or two ago Ozzy drank a HUGE amount of water from a toliet that had been left uncovered and proceeded to pee all over the house. Once it was out of his system he was fine.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Do check for UTI but it could just be him testing his boundaries a bit. Buddy did the same at around 5 months but it was okay again within a couple of days. Just take a trip to the vet's and them tighten up the training for a bit. I am sure that it would be all okay. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
We had a similar experience with Nugget. He never had a UTI; but as pups approach the 6-8 month "window" they get the urge to mark. It's an adolescent thing.

Just be firm and consistent with him. Lots and lots of outings and praise for doing it the right way (outside). He will outgrow this stage - but probably not soon enough!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts