Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was at the local Petco store shopping for supplies for the upcoming puppy. We were looking for a pen and a lady came over to help. It turned out she was a trainer who provided classes in the Petco store.

During the conversation, she asked where we were going to get the puppy. When she heard the name of the breeder, she replied "oh, she used to be good, I heard that there is inbreeding in her dogs."

Now, I have followed this website and used all the advice provided. I checked five generations backwards, double checked with OFA, and the couple of threads here showed that this particular breeder is reputable. All she does not provide is a quarantee. But then, neither does the other reputable breeders in the area.

So what shall I do. This seed of mistrust has been inplanted in my head. All I can think is that maybe there are also a lot of infighting in the dog industry.

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
The trainer sounds like an idiot. She obviously does not understand breeding, and was just passing along an (apparently) unresearched opinion, or she would have said something more like, I have seen her pedigrees and they are way too tight for me.

·
Kate
21,682 Posts
I can't get over somebody making a comment like that. And makes me wonder if she was referring to actual inbreeding or close lines like Tahnee suggested above. All the same, it was a really rude comment to make.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, we were all happy waiting to check the new puppies tomorrow. Now, it feels a bit of a downer. Thanks for listening. I just needed to vent a bit. I am certainly not going over to that store for puppy training.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
If you feel comfortable with the breder then that is all that matters. Dont let one person's voice take away your voice of reason. If all clearances check out and the pedigree looks good then go for it and get your new puppy.

·
Registered
869 Posts
You don't have any reason to believe this person who said this knows anything about what they are talking about. You have done your homework and are happy with your choice. Enjoy the new puppy and put this out of your mind.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
"There's inbreeding in her dogs" isn't a comment that makes sense anyway. An excellent breeder might have a close breeding in one generation and an outcross in the next. It's part of good practices. To say "there's inbreeding" really says nothing at all and reveals more ignorance in the speaker than anything about the breeder.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
There are always peoPle in this world that just hate to see others happy.

Don't worry about her comment! She sounds jealous and unhappy with her lot

Enjoy your new puppy. We are all looking forward to seeing lots of pics.

Lucysmum

Reactions: Visitador

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Think that in everything, some people just want to say things that will make the average person feel they are confident and knowledgeable. After you have been through this for a while, you can see right through them. I nod a lot and say ummmm a lot. Her words were not true and honestly show how mixed up she was. She might be a good trainer, but breeding knowledge,,,,don't think so!

You know you did your homework. Laugh at these kind of people and search for a training facility that centers on your "puppy" and you. You should leave your training center full of hope and fun spent with your baby. Just pity the others, cause they are just doing what they have learned worked for their personality. Center on that little fluff ball you are about to get and how you can protect your arms and toes! Laugh and have fun with your babe, and forget this biddy~

Reactions: Visitador
1 - 9 of 9 Posts