Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a question in the "what did you do???" board instead of this one... but I suppose it should have gone here....Sorry I put it in the wrong place! I am still learning to navigate this site! SO much info!! =) It is pasted below. Sorry about that!

Aloha all!

Background: Maximus has always been a very sit in my lap kinda dog and I totally don't mind (even though he is 115pounds) But he is losing some of his manners and I realize it must be something I am doing (or not doing), but I am at a loss on how to retrain him. I recently got a new puppy who must have been heaven sent. It took him a day to potty train, he sits, walks nice on a leash, goes in his kennel when told and is now learning to fetch. I have included Max in all of our activities (walks, playtime, pets, mealtimes etc) but sometimes I just need a moment to mop, or I have a guest who is much smaller than my Max (like a child) and is scared so I will put Max (and Leonidas as well) outside.

Here is the problem. Maximus WILL NOT be quiet. He will whine and bark and paw at the door for however long he is outside without me. If I am ouside he could care less, but If I dont stay out with him, he freaks. He won't even go potty unless I tell him to and even then I have to stand there to watch. It's kind of silly! I have within the past few days been making him sit and given him the command wait, which he knows well,then treat him when he is quiet and I tell him "good quiet" and that works for about 5 seconds, then he is whining away. I feel so bad for him and I do not know how to approach the situation properly. I don't want to undo all the training I have already done, and Max is a fabulous dog!

You all have been so wonderful thus far, I am just hoping for some great advice!! Thanks in advance!!

Aimee

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
That is a great question. I guess he just loves your company. I wish I had advise for you but since I have one dog that would stay out all day and one who does the quick trips and is very determined to be back inside I really don't have any clues.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
He may not be able to handle being apart from you. When he goes into his kennel, is it in a separate room, out of sight of you? If it is, how does he act then?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is great if he goes in his kennel by his choice, I will sometimes have him go in his kennel if he is a bit rowdy when I have company and he will whine for a few minutes, but he gives up and falls asleep. I don't even have to close the door, he will stay there and whine before he falls asleep. LOL I thought it was a seperation thing too, but he is fine everywhere else, just outside. Maybe because he can see me?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
That could be it. Here is what I would do (and what I did do with my rescue Golden). I used to put him outside and he would sit at the door and whine and jump at the door. of course I would let him in or stay out there with him (which was just reinforcing the notion that if you bark I'll appear).

so I nice day I put him outside and left him there for a few hours. I didn't go look out the door or anything, I stayed in the living room (hidden from the back doors) and just watching TV. He barked and whined for about 15 minutes and then when I went to go let him in a couple hours later I found him laying in the grass and he looked really comfortable. Called him in, just about ignored him (don't want him getting excited everytime he sees me which reinforces the separation stuff) and went about my day.

I gradually increased the time he spent outdoors and away from me, and now I can leave him out there for 4 or 5 hours (all I ever need to) and he just chews on sticks, lays in the grass, smells the air, patrols the fence...you know just dog things!

PS- when you leave him outside provide a few toys he can safely chew on or kong filled with treats

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great advice! I will have to try that tomorrow while I catch up with my homework. I have left him there before for a few hours, but he just whined and whined and whined, but I also kept going over and telling him "be quiet"..I'll just ignore it and see what happens! Thanks so much!

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
What I would do is take his dinner and toss it into the grass (assuming it's kibble). Don't do this while he's watching you, do it it at dinnertime or shortly before his dinnertime. Then, let him outside by himself, close the door and ignore him. Let him bark at the door for a while, as long as he's not bothering the neighbors. Sooner or later he might give up on barking and go wander the yard, when he does he'll figure out where his supper is - in the yard. If he doesn't figure it out after a while, go and show him the kibbles and let him 'graze' for a bit, then bring him inside for 5-10 minutes. Then let him back outside again. If he's hungry he'll realize that he has dinner to finish outside in the yard and go find the rest of his supper. Leave him out for 5-10 minutes (assuming he's quiet) and then bring him in. If he's barking at the door, ignore him till he's been quiet for a minute or so, then bring him in. Gradually you can work towards a single cookie hidden in the yard now and then from having his meals all over the place. He may find that he's got lots of smells and things to do out there and he'll 'live' without you too, for a short time. You can also have the water outside too if you're ok with that, so he has to go outside to get a drink.

Lana

1 - 7 of 7 Posts