Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Laura
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

I was wondering if anyone knows of any type of home remedy or supplments for preventing UTIs ?

I know of cranberry pills (haven't been giving them lately) and making sure they get to urinate frequently. I also feed a good food (Blue Buff)

Any other ideas?

I am rushing Skylie to the vet this morning. She started the UTI symptoms yesterday, and now she is peeing blood! :uhoh:

This is her 4th UTI since I had her as of last September, and this one is certainly the worse.

Thank you

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you are currently giving your dog tap water and have hard water in your area, you may want to switch to spring water that is softer. We have especially hard water in our area and our vet recommended that we avoid giving our dog tap water to prevent UTIs. I think our dog had 3-4 UTIs before we made the switch and none thereafter.

·
16,000 Posts
I am sorry that I cannot remember how old she is, and if she has yet been spayed - often, once they have either come into their first season, or hve been spayed, the UTI's stop. I'd be looking at the ash content of her food. The lower the better for dogs prone to UTI's. I also would consider having an ultrasound of her kidneys to eliminate there being a problem there which is causing the UTI's.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I dont have any advice but wanted to say I hope that Skylie is going to be ok.

·
Maryland
2,806 Posts
If she's having continuous UTI's they need to find out why. Is the antibiotic being used the right one?

I've known of a few dogs like this and it ended up that e-coli was the problem. So they had to use a different antibiotic, and for a longer period of time to clear it up.

Also...stones. Have they done a urinalysis looking for stones? Depending on the type of stone, different things need to be added/eliminated to/from the diet.

Sometimes cranberry supplements can make things worse if it's stones that are causing the problem.

The Vet needs to do more through tests to find out exactly what's going on, and treat appropriately. Apparently what's been done isn't working...time to change the plan.

Best of luck to Skylie!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Hi, I just saw your post I haven't been posting that much lately. I've been using Cran-Tri-C from Nature's Farmacy with Maddie for awhile now and it seems to be working really well! I started her on a higher dose and gradually decreased her to a lower dose and she is doing great (I can't remember exactly when I started her on the powder but it was probably around the beginning of the year and she's been off of antibiotics since 4/16 and the UTI has not returned, it's amazing!) Before this one, I tried a different cranberry powder and regular cranberry pills but they did not help at all. I hope it can help Skylie too and she's feeling better!

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
My Teddi went through a year of repetitive UTI's. I agree make SURE you are clearing up the problem with the antibiotics. Just because the dog seems better it may not be gone, retest the urine after the antibiotics have been completed. You may need to stay on longer, and you may need a stronger antibiotic.

Cranberries are supposed to be good supplement for holding UTI's at bay. We had Teddi on cranberry capsules from GNC, we stopped giving them and (knock on wood :crossfing) we have not had another in a while, and she is not supplemented anymore either.

·
Laura
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Uti problem

Thank you for all the comments.

She will be 1 year next month.

She was spayed when she was 8 months old, so this the first one she has had since being spayed. Her last episode was in January. I was hoping they would go away after being spayed. This is # 4

The vet did a urinalysis and said her PH levels are good, but there is definitely an infection.

He did xrays and checked for kidney stones, but luckily everything there were none.

She is on clavamox again, higher dose for 2 weeks. I have to bring her back in 2 weeks for another urinalysis to make sure it is completely gone.

Vet said he is hoping she is just grows out of it, but if it happens again, he is going to have to do a urine culture...

She is doing better though. This UTI was definitely the worst one, because she was peeing blood inside. That was a little scary. Seems like the UTI came in 1 day.

Vet told me there is really no way to prevent them :(

Thank you for the concerns,

please let me know if you have anymore advice/suggestions?

Laura

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I hope that she "grows out of them" not sure why they would but I have heard that they do.

My Teddi's seem to coincide with lay ups for injury. So if you do get past this, and for some reason you need to cease activity for a period. Keep an eye on your dog for signs.

Good Luck! I hope you get rid of it for once an for all.

·
Laura
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hope that she "grows out of them" not sure why they would but I have heard that they do.

My Teddi's seem to coincide with lay ups for injury. So if you do get past this, and for some reason you need to cease activity for a period. Keep an eye on your dog for signs.

Good Luck! I hope you get rid of it for once an for all.

Thank you, I will definitely do that..

·
3 goldens
12,361 Posts
I hope this round of antibiotics knocks it out forever.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I know when Ginny used to get cystitis as well as a/b's we also made sure she had extra liquid - doesn't really matter what it is - and we used to give her tea, or if fed dry kibble soak with water, gravy or stock

Good luck

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Repeated antibiotics without knowing what bacteria is the culprit seems like a shot in the dark to me. Start abx, culture, and then adjust according to the organism that grows out. Do they frown on a 'midstream' urine culture and go straight for the sterile specimen?

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I posted earlier that we had issues with Teddi and UTI's...Well we are hopefully off to the vet today for another check. She was really mellow last week, I thought she was still tired from her big weekend at the Premier, but she did seem to have more frequent urination. Then on Saturday she pee'd and I had the opportunity to check and make sure she was actually doing something (sometimes in UTI's they just try and nothing happens) and I thought I saw blood in her urine :doh: I don't know if what I saw was blood for sure of if it came from the ground or her, but it was definitely red! She seemed "ok" not particulary worse for wear. So today we will once again have her checked out. Boy I was so hopeful we were past our UTI's. sigh :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't know if you found the solution to your issue but I know that my dog Cooper gets crystals in his urine which then cause infection. You have to keep the protein, magnesium, and phosphorus levels in the food low. Most times the vet (as usual) will prescribe a Hill's prescription diet.

The Low Fat Innova has magnesium and phosphorus levels similar to the Hill's. We haven't had a problem since we've been feeding the Innova....well over a year now. I think one of the Flint River is similar in its levels but I like to be able to get my food locally if possible. Good luck!

·
Laura
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for the suggestion. I feed her Blue Buffalo, so I hope that isn't the problem. I also started giving her a cranberry pill. In the past she usually gets a UTI about 5-6 months, so we are on approx 4 months now :crossfing

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.