Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter is coming soon! It's not too cold in northern Cali (occasional 35 degrees) but the rain.... What do you do to exercise your dog when i'ts raining out?

Just trying to avoid soaking wet dog and muddy paws all over the house/car! Also, do you think a raincoat is helpful?

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Wow, here in the uk we have a lot of rain, wind, snow, wind etc and the dog loves it all! He goes out regardless, retrievers dont care and we have a towel ready to wipe him down with and a bowl of warm shampooey water for his paws :) He then goes to sleep happy from his walk in the warm kitchen whilst drying off :) He does have a coat for the worst of it which helps and he looks pretty smart, lol, we live in the town so he doesnt look odd but I think his street cred would be wrecked if he was a country boy wearing it ;)
The car gets a blanket in the boot (trunk) which he sits on and dried mud can always be vacuumed and cleaned out. A good hanging air freshner helps mask any lingering wet doggy smells!
Yes we love the summer weather better but Dogs dont care...its walks year round, rain or shine! Just got to add a few extra cleaning and protective materials to our shopping lists :)
Have fun :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
We head out in the rain too. It's a pain but we do it anyway. We had a lot of rain a couple of weeks ago and I just got out my umbrella and got through it. Where I live it gets REALLY cold and snowy in the winter and I know the last thing I'm going to want to do a couple of times/day is go out in it, but there really is no choice. You might be able to find some indoor play groups (some training places around here have them) but not on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
My dog Cookie loves rolling in the mud, so she likes to see rainy weather. Like the others said, I keep blankets and towels in the car (or better yet, my wife's car can fit a crate in the back, so the mud stays better contained).

I don't have a raincoat, and I'm not sure how helpful it would be. Most of the wet mess is on the legs and belly - the back kind of stays dry naturally.

Once inside, if Cookie is especially wet, I sometimes put her in her crate and turn on a small fan I have attached to the crate. She dries much faster that way, and any residual muck stays in the crate.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
We attempt walks in the rain, Koda is a princess though and doesn't like walking in the rain. After a little coaxing with treats she sucks it up and then loves it. LOL...snow will be another story in a few months. Her mama is a big baby about being cold. We are signing up to be members at our training facility and they allow us to use the facilities whenever we want so we are hoping to go and play with her there during the winter months to get her energy out....not sure if you have an option like that..?

·
Registered
169 Posts
We also attempt walks in the rain and mud!! It gets pretty messy with 2 goldens, lots of towels and muddy floors when we get back......what I have discovered with Fergus, the 6 month old is that he LOVES chasing a laser light, the kind that a cat plays with, I usually take him out in the garage and he runs and runs...I've tried it inside the house as well, works just as good, although make sure you have nothing breakable near by...it really gives him good exercise and exhausts him as well.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Prepare yourself with some towels, a warm, waterproof jacket, an old blanket for the car, and walk him in the rain :)

Can't say I like it, but my pup JJ loves the rain. He's always trying to catch it. Since he has a bad eye right now and has to wear a cone, I have to remind him not to look up or he'll drown :bowl:

·
Registered
12,720 Posts
Yup - my philosophy is, if you're going to get wet, you might as well get REALLY wet.

Buy a good raincoat and boots - and lay in a good supply of towels. You'll probably find your pup doesn't even notice the rain. My dog has only recently started to look at me like, "really?" when we're out in pouring rain. But she's 11. And her favourite part of the whole adventure is definitely the towelling off. She looooves it!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Angelina hated a rain coat when she was younger. Cannella would eat it. They both love going out in the rain and what I do is hose off the feet before coming into the house and towel dry them. They've both learned they have to stand still and let me do it (lots of treats of course) because wet clean paws are so much better then wet muddy paws.

My biggest issue is the time change. I can only do so much exercise in the dark. So we have to think up inside the house games. I started a thread on that a couple days ago but not much participation. I do 'scenting' games where the dogs 'find' things. Would love to hear how others keep their poochies occupied...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts