Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading an article about exercising for Golden Retrievers and I was wondering how many other people have a baby pool for their dog? I currently have just one of those round plastic ones that have designs on it. She likes it in the summer but can't really do too much swimming in it and just mostly splashing as she tries to get to the designs on the bottom. I was thinking of getting one of those inflatable ones for this coming summer that is long so she could possibly try and swim some laps in. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions while I was thinking about posting it?

THANKS!

·
Registered
128 Posts
At puppy school we have a small pool that Daisy absolutely LOVES! She just splashes around as she is about as long as it, but it is like her most favorite thing. Next week we get to go in the big pool!

My thoughts on an inflatable one is that it might pop and be a waste of money. I know Daisy would try to nip at the sides and maybe get a claw through the bottom! Have you thought about those kid ones that are a little bigger and the sides just kinda pop up to hold the water when its full? However I think the bottoms are just thin plastic...

Hopefully someone else can chime in and give us both some ideas!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
We have one of those quick-set pools (40" deep x 14' across - guessing here). I don't know how a dog would get in and out. The ladder is fine for humans but steep and not built to work for a dog.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
The "kids" have a splasher pool, just about big enough for them but they love it. They swim in the summer up at the Cape in Grandma's pond so they are lucky dogs.

Dog Canidae Sporting Group Companion dog Leisure

Metal

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's the kind of pool Jacey has, and that's pretty much all she has. My sister has a little fish pond, there aren't any fish in it anymore, in her backyard that she paddles around in when she's over there, but it's no bigger than the splasher pool, just deeper.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Haha too funny! I may have to try that with my Daisy this summer!

P.S. Congrats on quitting smoking! =)
Just put a few in, you may end up feeding them for awhile LOL

Thanks for the encouragement, I had a rough day today but doing really well. 20 days doesn't seem like such a long time but it sure feels like it! :)

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I was wondering the same thing about the goldfish!!!!!!!

Minnows might be cheaper and last longer.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
That's great! Daisy's tail is just agoing and she is having a glorious time.
Waht a wonderful, cruel Mama you are to have thought of doing this for Miss Daisy.
copper likes fish, but not water. I wonder if he would like to have his own little fishin' hole? He has never messed with my gold fish pond, but then again I haven't pointed out that there are fish in there.Hmmmm.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I love that video! And agree, what a wonderfully wicked mommy!! :)

Over the years, with different houses, Winnie has had 2 above ground pools and one inground pool. He tore the liner on both above ground pools. The liner can usually be patched, but it can be a pain if its near the bottom of the pool. I don't recommend above ground pools at all. It's also hard to lift your dog in and out of the pool. One above ground pool had a deck, so Winnie could get up on the deck, and jump in. The other one had no deck, and it was hard to get him in and out -- he's a BIG boy. He's great with the inground pool, and the concrete helps to keep his nails short, which is a blessing in disguise because Winnie is an absolute whimp about nail trimming. He also trained himself not to go in the pool unless a person is in. Which is very nice. I didn't train him, it's his rule he came up with. He even won't jump in to get a toy, I've tested him.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts