Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have a 6mo old GR named Cabot. He was six weeks old when he got him. About month after coming home, he started having diarhea. I took him in and the vet said he tested postive for Coccidia. He treated with 10 days of Albon and the took of the diarehha. About 3 days after he stopped treatment, he came down with direahha again. This time i took him to a second vet to get another opinion. He did not test positive for anything, but the vet wanted to treat with albon, metro. for 7 days as he thought it may be Giardia. We treated and the diarhea was gone. The week after that, we took Cabot to a trainer, who was aware of his history with sickness. He was fine for the first two weeks, then came down with direaha again. This time he went to anohter vet and took 7 days of met. and panacur. Then he got rid of it, then it came back again. So he had another round of met. and panacur for 7 days. We picked him up after 8 weeks of being with her, and brought him home and started him on anohter round of pan. and metr. as the diarehha had not cleared. Tomorrow is his last day and his direahha, if anything is worse. We are at a loss of what to do, we have currently spent almost $1000 just in vet bills.

I have been hyper-vigilant about cleaning and disinfecting. I clean up as soon as he goes, and pour bleach-water on the spot. The trainer was also, super good about cleaning, etc. Someone please help! We just spent $1000 on training and he is such a great dog now, so any help woudl be great.

Thanks,
Sarah

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Cabot

Cabot

I am so sorry to hear this. Don't really have any experience with this, but others here will.

How did the vets determine what he had-did they test his stool?

Is he eating and drinking o.k.,?
Could it be a food allergy?

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,601 Posts
A weeks treatment isn't going to get rid of chronic giardia. That's why it keeps coming back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, they did a stool sample, actually several samples. He is eating and drinking fine and he doesn't act sick, except for the diarrhea. He had been on a prescription diet, so i don't think food sens. is the problem, and his diarrhea really smells horid, so it does sound like it is still giardia. I ordered some probiotics to start putting in his food to see if MAYBE that will help a little? I am sure all these meds can't be good for his tummy.

You're prob right about it not being a long enough tx, but this time he is on his second round of metro. and panacur so essentially he has been on it for 17 days (i think his prior round before this one was a 10 day tx). The thing that really concerns me is it seems to be getting WORSE even while on the tx.

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
Seventeen days in a row might have done it, but 17 days with breaks in between is not the same thing. Coccidia and giardia will encyst in the body and stress will cause it to break out. Your baby has been through a lot of stress-first, coming home with you, then going to the trainers and now coming back to you.

I would guess it is either the coccidia or the giarida (or both), since the prior treatments were not long enough and the stress has been recurring. Also, it is entirely possible that the recurrences have really irritated his GI tract, which will make it worse.

I would go back the vet for a longer course of treatment, and something to help settle his GI tract.

The probiotics should only help, since antibiotics do destroy the good bacteria in the gut, which will add to his distress. Probiotics should be given after the antibiotics, since the good stuff will otherwise be killed by the antibiotic. When Creed was on doxy, I gave him his probiotics about an hour after his antibiotics. Not sure if that is ideal.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Giardia is a nasty parasite, and it is good to hear that you are being careful because humans can get it too. I'm afraid that you will have to stick with medication - it can take several weeks to clear these protozoa out of the intestines.

Did anyone recommend adding some pumpkin to his food? It won't get rid of Giardia but it might firm things up a bit while he recovers.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
With giardia, at least once during the course of treatment, you need to wash the rear end to get rid of oocysts.

Reactions: Tahnee GR

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
And in some cases adding fiber prevents bugs from colonizing.

Reactions: Tahnee GR

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I'm wondering about the diarrhea...is there any mucus in the stool? All watery type of stool? What are you feeding by the way, aside from the prescription diet? Treats or any dairy based products that might be prolonging this condition? Just trying process of elimination. You might try adding pumpkin to your pups food. It has to be pure pumpkin. Usually it's only found to be organic canned pumpkin in the baking isle or health food section. Nothing added in the ingredient list, it's just pure pumpkin and nothing else.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I totally feel for you. Cosmo has had soft stool and diarrhea since he was little. He is a year old now. Currently he can only eat rice and it's still not great. Tonnes of diagnostics. In our case they found cryptospirosis and claustridium on and off for the last half a year. Did some short treatments on Metron which did little. Crypto especially is very difficult to eradicate. I believe both of these bacteria have to be tested for specifically and won't show on regular panels. It could be something like that. Vet wants to go back to Metron to just help the symptoms but I'm insisting on the specific antibiotics and long term this time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will definately try the probiotics, i am sure all the med are upsetting his gut. I feed purina one normally, the vet had said that would be okay. I also ordered something called "kocci free", it is suppose to be a natural product for cocc and giardia. The reviews were all great so i am hoping that works? Wishful thinking maybe. His last dose of meds is tomorrow morning, so i am wondering if i should try this first before returning to the vet?

His diarrhea is really light-colored greenish. Not totally watery, but more like a gravy, maybe a little thicker. It has no form at all and has gotten worse throughout the week, but he can control it. I dont really notice any mucos or blood in it. I do remember in the beginning when battling it the first time at home there would be what looked like snot in it, but not now. The other thing is it smells horrible.

I would love to add pumpkin, but i live in rural area, so i doubt i would be able to find that. I haven't been giving treats, except for chew things like knuckle, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I forgot to add, that i have been bathing weekly and cleaning his butt once a day. Not sure if that sufficient or not?

·
Registered
774 Posts
When we thought Summer had giardia, we were told to treat with metronidazole for 14 days straight, take 10 days off and then treat another 7 days. That way you can catch them at all stages of the life cycle..

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
How about his weight? Is he maintaining or losing weight? That fine distinction will often give a clear indication as to whether the issues are in the upper or lower intestines? If it is in the upper intestines, then dogs often lose weight and need digestive enzymes to help. If it is in the lower intestines or colon, the dog usually maintains their weight yet with the loose stools, it is indicative of a bacterial overgrowth and probiotics with the addition of fiber can often help.

When something like giardia is chronic, often other problems arise related to bacterial overgrowth. That is why things like probiotics often help. I would probably refrain from adding yogurt as really it would take a lot of yogurt to get the benefit of probotics. Plus, a lot of dogs are lactose intolerant and the addition of yogurt only compounds the problem.

As someone else mentioned, the treatment of giardia takes a very aggressive approach. Often several courses of antibiotics ... and sometimes staggered treatments. There are a lot of threads related to giardia on this forum. I wish your Baby the best of luck in beating this parasite!

Kim

·
Registered
949 Posts
In young dogs, too many antibiotics can destroy the good bacteria in the digestive tract. They need some bacteria to properly digest their food and to reabsort the water added to the small intestines during digestion.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned PUMPKIN and I would urge you to try it. Fiber is good for diarrhea and for constipation. Start with just a couple of tablespoons in each meal. It should work with in a day or so. Then continue for at least a week. Luckily pumpkin is cheap and dogs love it.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Use canned pumpkin - sold at every grocery store. Just don't use pumpkin pie mix as that has sugar and spices.

Are you giving him rawhide or raw beef knuckles? Rawhide chews has been known to cause diarrhea in young dogs. I eliminate all chews except for nylabones or kong toys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts