Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amber and I met Chauncey in February of 2013. It's amazing how quickly we felt like a little family! Fast forward 15 months to today, Amber and I are just week or so out from introducing our newest addition to the family, a new baby boy:) We can't wait! But we'd also like some help. Chauncey, our first golden is 15 months old, and is the best dog and the best friend! He's great with kids, but he's never been around new borns. Despite him being the greatest, he's still a pup and has a TON of energy. We wanted to get some insight on the initial introduction, what to expect, things to plan for, tips, or any advice from those who have had their first child and golden at the same time, or from those who have raised children with young dogs. Anything helps! We are so excited for this time and can't wait to see Chauncey and our boy grow up together and become best friends. In exchange, all I can promise are non stop heart melting baby+chauncey photos:)

·
Registered
921 Posts
Congratulations to you and your family great news. Something to do is to bring a blanket home that has the babies smell before you bring the baby home. Let Chauncey smell it and see how he reacts. Plan when you get home because you will be in the hospital for a few days to have to go in and sit down with him. When I came home from the hospital my dog thought I was gone forever this was the longest time spent apart ever. There will be curiosity with him. I had one of them baby dolls that smells like a baby and worked with my dog and had the baby stuff around. You may want to set up some boundaries using the play mat or bedroom as a no zone until you see how he does. Mine hadn't had any experience with newborns and he did great. He would go smell my daughter when she was in her swing or bouncer. You can always keep a lead on again the first few days to see how it goes. Expect when he cries to have an alert dog. Mine would go find me to tell me something was wrong with this thing making noise. The photos and videos you will get are great memories to have. I hope you will be sharing some. He will let you know how he feels about it. It will be a lot of changes just reassure him and let him in on some activities which you feel Chauncey can participate involving the baby. This is great news again congratulations hope you have a safe delivery and everything goes great and not to long.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
When we were expecting we would put all the baby stuff out for the dogs to explore it, get use to it and it clued them in that something was happening. We took a blanket with us to the hospital and my hubby brought it home before we left the hospital for them to smell. It was hardest for us as our first child had to stay an extra 2 days due to jaundice so we were home but the baby wasnt still.

When we got home we greeted the dogs first then let them see the baby in the carrier. I never had problems. My jack russell was really excited and my boxer was actually really good. They loved my kids from day 1. They werent overly sensitive to sounds but if they had been I would have gotten them use to baby sounds (crying, screaming).

The fun is when they become mobile. That usually resulted in a lot of doggie kisses. Lol I guess we got lucky as our dogs never tried to play with kids until older. The worst is kids and their toys with the dogs..especially a puppy around! You have a while before that happens..but time sure does go by fast so savor each second with your newborn!

Congrats and wish you guys a great delivery and a healthy baby!

Reactions: Davidavidavid

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I came home from the hospital my dog thought I was gone forever this was the longest time spent apart ever.
This is what I am most worried about, it's possible that we are away for a few days so when we get home I know he's going to go WILD! I thought of going in first and waiting for him to settle down before introducing the baby? Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They werent overly sensitive to sounds but if they had been I would have gotten them use to baby sounds (crying, screaming).
Thanks! I also wondered about sound. Chauncey's crate is in our room and the baby will be in a bassinet in our room for the first bit so I wondered if Chauncey would end up getting annoyed in the middle of the night because of crying?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Yeah you can go in first and have someone bring in the baby. He is really going to be focused on you for alittle while. My dog didn't notice for awhile he just wanted to put his head in my lap and have me hug him. You can keep the baby in the car seat for the first smell. I was very nervous how my dog was going to react and he did great. They will pick up something very precious is with you. Have a special treat ready he can enjoy. He will learn how to be around the baby. I think he will surprise you how attuned they are with respecting new mothers and little ones.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I remember recently in the news, Simon Cowell got a lot of criticism for the footage of his dog licking his 10 day old baby(amongst a long list of other new parenting faux pas.) I found a link with a doctor's take on it and was surprised to hear this her opinion? I certainly expect plenty of doggie kisses. Anyone have any thoughts? (pardon the use of inside edition and TMZ, they were the only links I could find! :doh:)

Videos - Should A Dog Lick A Newborn Baby? - InsideEdition.com

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I remember recently in the news, Simon Cowell got a lot of criticism for the footage of his dog licking his 10 day old baby(amongst a long list of other new parenting faux pas.) I found a link with a doctor's take on it and was surprised to hear this her opinion? I certainly expect plenty of doggie kisses. Anyone have any thoughts? (pardon the use of inside edition and TMZ, they were the only links I could find! :doh:)

Videos - Should A Dog Lick A Newborn Baby? - InsideEdition.com

·
Registered
921 Posts
Another place for boundaries is the swing mine liked to go smell when I my daughter was in there. It is moving and he could get a good smell without bothering the baby. Dog kisses are going to happen. I wouldn't let him continually do it but it will happen. Only way to avoid is keep the dog away and only let him smell the babies feet. Not realistic. My dog wasn't a real licker so we could say no or enough and he would stop. Even with our new golden she only licks my 2 year old and my husband because they laugh and giggle when she does it. Congratulations again can't wait to hear how it goes and hopefully see some photos of your new little man.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.