Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Very nice! I LOVE watching good attention heeling!

It's fun to see the different style of heeling as compared to the US. The dog is ON his leg the entire time. That would be scorable in the States. A gal from my obedience club got invited to Crufts for the World Obedience Team a couple years ago (Louise Meredith and Twister - they were also the NOC for 2003, too) and she kept commenting on that.

Fun to see the different exercises. I was just watching old Crufts footage on YouTube the other day!

-S

·
Banned
4,311 Posts
That was pretty awesome. Brinkley will do that to a point when I have a treat in my hand but if I stop, then she will jump up at me to get the treat. LOL!!!!! That was great. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
18,110 Posts
When I stop, Tucker goes right into a sit.

Poor Tucker, I think he'd have been a great obedience or agility dog if he had a differnent owner.
Kimm, have you ever considered having someone handle him for you? Then you could sit and watch him win!

I didn't know you could have the dog that close to you, but that's the difference in US and UK obedience? My OB instructors said they couldn't crowd you or touch your leg during heeling.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
I didn't know you could have the dog that close to you, but that's the difference in US and UK obedience? My OB instructors said they couldn't crowd you or touch your leg during heeling.
Yeah, it's just a different style preference. In the US that would be scored. You'd still qualify but they'd take points off. If I had to guess, I'd say probably 5 points off in Novice, depending on the judge and 5-8 points in the higher classes.

-S

·
Mom to Geddy and Sawyer!!
6,059 Posts
Oh my!!! that's just way impressive!! It's soo cute how the dog moves his back end around to keep in line with his owner.

How do you teach "attention" healing anyways?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Bonnie's attention is like that a lot of the time but sticking to the leg round corners is yet to come. :uhoh:

I'd already seen it, but thanks for sharing. :):)

·
Griff's a Muffin Thief!
3,165 Posts
Inspiring so say the least! I just sent a copy of that to all our Puppy Class members! Wowza!

Though have to admit it's a bit too close for comfort there - I think that would drive me a little nuts - I like my "space". LOL

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Awesome job is righ! I'm in the US so the style was a bit strange to me too ... however, it is TOTALLY IMPRESSIVE ... way to go, Flame (and his awesome trainer, of course).

Ozzy has the same "prance" when he's heeling. I love that! Gotta love a dog who is so enthusiastic about obedience work. Love to see it!

Thanks for sharing that great vid. Kudos to you! What was your score?

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Kimm, have you ever considered having someone handle him for you? Then you could sit and watch him win!

I haven't found anyone willing to do that. At one time my husband was doing agility with Tucker, but DH isn't very competitive and stopped. I was hoping my son might want to be involved, but he's busy with work and school. If I wasn't so darn tired all the time and knew when my body would be willing to do what's asked of it, I'd do it.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I haven't found anyone willing to do that. At one time my husband was doing agility with Tucker, but DH isn't very competitive and stopped. I was hoping my son might want to be involved, but he's busy with work and school. If I wasn't so darn tired all the time and knew when my body would be willing to do what's asked of it, I'd do it.
How about somebody in 4-H that cannot have their own dog?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Nope, I don't like it! The dogs right on the knee, turns can become a problem. The heads up, not a natural look at all, too stiff and up! Not at all how the trainer I brought in does it, and she is certified and works with police dogs for OB work. Really, the dog doesn't need to get a stiff neck to watch you, it can be ahead of you and still be watchful of you and your moves. It's in there vision capabilities.

I personally like a heel where a dog looks natural out there, not straight up all the time like that. I couldn't possibly heel my dog for very far with a heel like that.

I think it's good to have attention, but like I said it doesn't have to be like that. I guess if there going in the ring like this, it's one thing...but it's not a natural look to me for a heel. Kody by no means heels like that, he is out away from my knee and leg, not sopposed to be touching at all, head held naturally and watches me but not straight up like that. I couldn't imagine heeling him for an hour like that out on hikes or walks. Poor dog would have stiff neck for sure.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts