Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, Archie has been making progress with the house-training at home (for the most part), but today I took him to my sister's house for a visit and he had several accidents in her house (so embarrassing). I had him outside about 5 times during our short visit, but he would not go, no matter how long I gave him. I think one huge reason would be that he is on a leash at her house and at home he has a fence. My sister even has a gentle older boxer that can help set an example, but Archie still didn't get the idea. He is relatively new to the leash, as we live on a main road and haven't had too many opportunites for good walks. Does anyone have any tips for getting him to go potty when we're not at home? Thanks!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Sometimes while you are doing your potty training take him out on leash, Hopefully he will get the idea to go while on the leash.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I read in a GR magazine to always take puppies out (when they are real young) on a leash to one spot & pace back and forth in a small area until they go. When they are going say something like "do your business" (thats what we use!) then praise alot! THEN let them off leash to smell & play around. After a short while, they'll run to that spot off leash to "do their business" and then play. Teaches them to get things done first, then play! Our lab is great at this & always "goes" on command. My parents laugh at the site of me telling her to go before we load the car & leave from FL back to TX!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
My first 2 goldens were always just let out in the fenced yard to go.....ran into trouble on our first road trip as they would not go on the leash, only thing on their mind was a walk. Had to retrain them completely.

With the two I have now I started as pups taking them in the yard on a leash and standing in one spot. They would try to roam but I kept them constrained to a small circle around me and if they just stood there or sat down I gave a slight tug on the leash with a cue to hurry up. Out of boredom they quit trying to get away and took care of business.
Came in handy because now I can let them out the back door and if they just stand there and look at me in the door I can say hurry up and they'll go do their business quickly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts