Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took allie in for a lump(fatty lump)under her left front leg. Cannot feel it when she is sitting or standing.. so I don't know how long it's been there. I noticed it first just a day ago, and made an appointment for her to be seen.

The vet said that there is a fatty lump which is something that Golden's get, but there is a harder, smaller mass under it. She ordered a thoracic series - x-rays for Allie.

I waited for her, and the vet came and spoke to me first before releasing Allie to me. She said that the growth was growing or had finished growing inward towards the chest wall. She is sending the x-rays out to be read. I asked how long the the radiologist had been reading x-rays, and she said 30 years. She said he would be able to read the nuances of the edges of the mass, and if it needed to be biopsied. She said she would be able to biopsy there. I asked if she would be able to tell if the mass was a malignant or benign mass by looking at it, and she said 'sometimes' but most times she has to send it out for verification.
I have to wait either till tomorrow or Monday at the latest. I am scared. Allie is 3 years old. I've had her for 1 year. She was part of a back-yard breeding operation.. and she was extremely shy. The vet said it's possible that there was a trauma before I got her. If she was used for breeding and she was submissive that someone might of hit her. She also said that this was an unusual place for a tumor, malignant or benign.

I guess I'm looking for someone that may of had some experience in this. Right now, I'm barely holding it together. I read horror stories about cancer, and I want more time with Allie. I really love her.
Oh, and she is eating, drinking and has no trouble breathing. She is completely normal in everything she does. She does need to lose about 5 pounds according to the vet.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.. Allie is such a sweet girl. I am disabled since my brain surgery and she helps me with balance issues, we spend all our time together and well, ya know. She's a great dog, and we understand each other, already!

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Keeping positive thoughts for both you and Allie.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Thoughts and prayers coming your way... that the mass is benign and that Allie has a long healthy life ahead of her.

·
love my goofy goldens
2,431 Posts
How scary for you - sending positive thoughts for Allie - and you!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks.. I know you guys understand!
I go between teary eyed, and hugging my dog, and then thinking 'she's gonna be just fine!!"

Right??
Where do I find medical information to read about dog stuff??
Thanks all..

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sending prayers for Allie.
Hey, my husband's family is from Napa Valley.. we will be in Napa this Christmas..
He went to school at St. John's and we were married there, in <cough> 198cough0cough

anything to get my mind off.. of my pup..and lumps.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you. I think prayers are the best. And prayers that wraps around the country helps. I know it does.
Thanks again.
I wish I could post a pic of Allie. She is such a sweet girl with a beautiful face! When I go to post a pic, it asks for a url, which I don't have. I have it on my computer, but it won't upload the pic.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Most likely, it will be okay! I know the fear, though. Brook, my money pit, is going to get a lump biopsied next week too.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Was this the same? Have you been through this before? What can you tell me about the process? This is new to me!
I'll keep a good thought going for you too.. you said money pit? I'll get pet insurance .. like right after this is over.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Well, Brooklyn has just been one thing after another. Hurt paw, blood work, hip X rays (no real reason other than my own peace of mind), recheck of bloodwork because it came back weird the first time, UTI, and now this lump!

I have had a few dogs' lumps aspirated. It's not a big deal in general. I paid $70 I think to have one of my last foster's (Ivy) lumps sent to the lab, and all came back normal :)

Mammary lumps are always something I worry about. Brooklyn's is just a weird fatty bump the size of a grape. It's on her loin, maybe an inch below the top of her back, so I'm not too worried. I want to know what it is, though!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
My prayers are with you and Allie. I think it will all be good.

Jenna Prayers for Brooklyn too.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts