Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 322 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regrettably, although they have a nice website, my advice is to steer clear of Golden Creek Kennels. We excitedly purchased an English Cream Golden puppy. The owner was careful not to disclose the age along the way of the puppies, but sold them at one day less than 7 weeks old. That was, from what I've learned, a bit on the young side. She hurried us to choose and get out the door. Although she said if there were any problems to let her know and that they had a warranty... her concern was not genuine nor sincere.

Within several weeks of having our puppy home it became evident that she had some serious issues (beyond normal puppy) with biting, aggression, and jumping. We engaged a professional trainer who confidently believed he could get her under control. After a 2 hour session. he threw up his arms and said he had never seen such a dominant puppy - only this kind of behavior in adult dobermans and german shepherds and recommended that we contact the breeder about taking her back. This was heartbreaking to hear. But we were thoroughly at our wits end - with bites and scratches all over our family's bodies.

The owner - Susan - was completely unhelpful and unsympathetic. We called, and she did not call back. We called again and somehow caught her. Her response to our situation was to say "Well - you chose the dog". She was not willing to let us exchange the puppy for another, nor give us any of our money back. We followed up with additional emails and phone calls to discuss our issues further and she would not even respond at all. We have been unable to reach her at all after that one phone call.

A good breeder would want their dog to be with the appropriate family and in the appropriate environment. This is not a good breeder, nor a good business person. I fear what other things I have subsequently read are true - this is a puppy mill...they don't seem to care about the health, behavior or placements of their puppies. They just care about collecting your check.

Avoid this business and select another breeder.

We love our pup and will find a way to make it work. But she is in it for the money and doesn't care about the dog nor about doing right by her customers. :(

·
Premium Member
16,405 Posts
It's never a good sign when registered names and health clearances arent available front and center. Sorry you had such a terrible experience!

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
I'm sorry you're having a difficult experience. I don't know this breeder, but from what you've said, I just wanted to share the following thoughts:

* In most states, 7 wks is the min legal age for selling a pup. I like to get mine at 7 weeks. The fact that your was one day shy of 7 wks doesn't concern me too much. It's the people who let pups go at 5 or 6 weeks that are, in my opinion, a problem.

* The fact that you were sold an "English Creme" is a red flag that perhaps the breeder is more profit-driven than about bettering the breed, etc. That term is a marketing ploy.

* I'd find another trainer. As a trainer myself, I can't imagine throwing my hands up and not being able to at least leave you with some concrete steps to start modifying the pup's behavior. It sounds like since what your trainer usually does didn't work, he didn't know what to do next. IMO, good trainers understand the science of behavior modification and can therefore use the science to develop all sorts of training protocols -- not just have to rely on a one-size-fits-all approach, only to be at a loss when it doesn't work.

There are "demon puppies" out there -- pups that are just genetically messed up and likely will never be great dogs, and worse, might be dangerous dogs no matter how much training. Doesn't sound like you have one of those...

Where are you located? Perhaps we can direct you to another trainer?

As for the breeder's behavior when you contacted her - that's most unfortunate. I'd expect her to at least be sympathetic to your struggle and worst case, offer to take the puppy back and provide it a home (or re-home) while giving you at least a partial refund.

In the meantime, I'd suggest looking at your "puppy management system" at home and seeing what you can do to make it harder for this puppy to misbehave. Golden pups ARE mouthy -- some way more than others. Keep lots of great chew items on hand and ALWAYS have one ready to stick in his mouth. Keep him with you on a leash so he can't get too crazy, or so when he does, you can calmly lead him to his crate or pen area where he gets a little down time and can no longer chew on you. Be sure he's getting a fair amount of (age appropriate) exercise; tired puppies are generally better behaved, unless they are just TOO tired and need a nap!

Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
18,096 Posts
Let the board know what area you are located in, I'm sure members here can recommend very good trainers to help you.

FYI - it is totally normal for Golden puppies to nip and mouth pretty badly until they are taught not to.

I hope you will find in the future that the work and effort you put into your puppy has been worth it.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Sometimes when puppies aren't well socialized early in their lives and are taken away from their littermates and mother early, they don't learn enough about bite inhibition.

Please seek a new trainer, as mentioned. Let us know what part of your state you live in- I'm sure someone can make a recommendation.

You've got this little, beautiful, fresh slate puppy- give her a chance. I'm sure she will blossom with time, commitment, and love.

·
16,000 Posts
There are a number of past posts regarding this breeder, who was suspended by the AKC. There are plenty of reasons that I would avoid them.
As for the situation in this thread, it is unfathomable to me that any breeder would not be concerned about the PUPPY, if not the owner, and the possibiltiy of it not being in the right home. THis is yet another reason why I, and other reputable, responsible breeders, make the placement selections ourselves.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
They have 33 breeding females and 8 breeding males? That sounds like a seriously HVB to me. Interesting that she is listed in Raleigh and in Durham. I have never heard of her before. She has an open house tomorrow, I wish I could go!

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
You may have luck with another trainer. Any trainer who throws up her hands that quickly and talks about "dominance" is probably not the highest level professional you could find. If you really are committed to making this work, try to find a certified behaviorist.

You can also search the forum for tips on dealing with bratty, bitey puppies. There are lots of management tips and tips to decrease the unwanted behavior.

As you search for a behaviorist, make sure you DON'T use hard, physical methods to control the pup. Often the root of so-called "dominant" behavior is insecurity and fear on the pup's part.

Obviously, none of us can tell you exactly what course to take since we aren't hands-on with your pup, but there are some basic things (in addition to finding a new professional) that you can do that would help or at least not hurt.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I'm so sorry that this breeder got her hooks into you, and sold you a puppy that you are not happy with. It is so important for breeders to match puppies to the personalities of the people purchasing the puppy. I hope that you will learn a lot from this forum.

I see that you are from the Carolinas. I don't know where you are from, but wanted to suggest contacting Swift Creek Kennels. When I was little we found a chow, golden some other stuff mix as a 4.5 week puppy. He really missed out on the critical time with his mother and litter mates to learn bite inhibition, and had other behavioral problems. We sent him to Swift Creek for boot camp, and he came back a phenomenal dog! We also bought a lab from Swift Creek that came with training with them, and she went back to them quite a few times in her first year for hunting training. They did a great job with her, and while she had a lot of drive and energy, she was really knew how to contain that energy even as a 1 year old lab. My brother went out and did some training with them and our lab, as he wanted to do hunting with her, and really loved their methods.

I know other people who have had the same success with them. If you are anywhere near Swift Creek it might be a good option for you. I think our Chow mix was with them for 2 or 3 months, after 6 weeks my brothers and I were able to go out and work with him to make sure he wouldn't bite or jump on playful kids.

http://www.swiftcreekkennel.com/

Really, finding any trainer would be beneficial, well, one that won't give up after 2 hours. I just wanted to share my experience with having a dog go to "boot camp".

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
A golden is a golden not an "English Cream" Color does not make for an english cream. There are many breeders who produce light colored dogs but wouldn't use this rediculous "marketing tool". That is a huge red flag. Not having their registered names listed is another. There is no listing of clearances on these dogs. Though a breeder claims to breed only one breed doesn't mean they are not a puppy mill. Thank you for sharing the name so others can get educated. You need good help for your puppy now or you will have a very difficult adolecent and horrible adult. Golden retirever are wonderful dogs and it would be terrible for you to be traped with a bad attitude dog. Socialize, socialize and get help soon. Good Luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for your responses! We have indeed engaged another trainer who has been great. We are working religiously with our puppy and have definitely seen improvement. We are dedicated to making it work and know it will. Of greater concern to me is the lack of professionalism, responsiveness, sympathy, concern and problem resolution displayed by this breeder. We traveled a long distance to go to this breeder based on a recommendation and have been very disappointed. I worry about what will happen to those with health or even more serious behavior issues. My experience would indicate that the customer should assume they are on their own the minute they leave the property of this breeder.
Thank you again for all the constructive advice!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
health clearance paperwork

:confused:
It's never a good sign when registered names and health clearances arent available front and center. Sorry you had such a terrible experience!
You're right - she did not provide health clearance paperwork. Should that have been provided to us?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
:confused:

You're right - she did not provide health clearance paperwork. Should that have been provided to us?
Yes, absolutely. Either copies or links to all the clearances in the OFA database.

I'm sorry to hear about the bad experience you have had but am so happy to see you dedicated to your puppy. I think that is fantastic! At least you now know better for any pups in your future. :)

·
Premium Member
16,405 Posts
So many bad breeders have glossy, tempting websites. It's all too easy to be fooled.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm so glad you found another trainer and are having success. I just wanted to say we got our golden at the exact same age, one day short of seven weeks, and she was also mouthy and bitey, particularly with my youngest daughter (who was 12 at the time). I always suspected lack of socialization among her fellow pups.

She turned out to be the greatest dog ever! When she was two I took her to my mom's nursing home, sneaking her in at night, expecting the worst--but she behaved beautifully! My only regret is that I did not pursue therapy with her; she'd have been perfect! She was such a gentle dog--very true to her breed.

Good luck, and you've come to the right place for advice in the future.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I'm glad that you found a great trainer to work with.

When I got my first husky, I had no clue about dogs, and took her home at 6 weeks old. Needless to say she did not have enough time with mom and littermates, and was poorly socialized. She was a stubborn girl, and a complete handful, but with the work of a great trainer (who recognized Rhiannon as a challenge, but one worth taking on) turned into an absolutely wonderful, loving, and trustworthy dog who was my companion for 12-1/2 years.

I am so sorry about your experience with this so-called breeder, but glad your pup has you to provide a good future.

Wishing you the best of luck, it can be tough, but very much worth it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am so sorry! I had 2male litter mates bought in 1998. The first one died at age 6 abdominal annyurism and the other cancer mass cell at age 3. The 2nd lived till this year but I have had thousand of $$$$$ medical bills. He dogs are beautiful but so scary. She built this new ranch on the backs of all her abused dogs. She is know in the Raleigh area a the fancy local puppy mill. When I went to get a new golden in 2003 I heard all this info it is really bad. She is all about the money. The breed lines are dirty. I have friends who were vet texts at her vet who said it was common knowledge that these dogs were all hemophiliacs and all the hidden illnesses. STAY AWAY!!!!people have tried to shut her down for years. It makes my heart hurt as I have adored my dogs from her and hate that they are such amazing animals and have suffered so much needlessly. Take care hand in there:)

1 - 20 of 322 Posts